Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Tranporter Controls (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tranporter Controls
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an observation. Do with it as you please.

In the second pilot of the original series, the transporter technician used a panel of buttons to initiate transportation. The buttons were pressed in a certain sequence. There were no levers.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lever control props were probably too expensive to make :0)

Another interesting note is that, on Enterprise, alot of things seem to have some sort of lever control in it. Transporters and Helm definitely do. I haven't gotten a real good look at the other consoles.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What scene are you refering to? I can't find the scene where they show the controls being manipulated. At the end of BB2 the scene does not show the transporter controls and in BB1 they clearly show the transporter being operated by sliders.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

colin
Member # 217

Grokca,

I believe you read my entry incorrectly. When I was referring to the "original" series, I was making a point to the first Star Trek series. Yes, the one with James T. Kirk and Spock.

People are often comparing this series with Enterprise. I am including a piece of historical fact, in 2265 transporter technicians were operating a console different from future consoles (or past consoles as may be the case), without expressing an opinion. I left the opinions to be made or not made to the reader.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting observation in any case. FWIW, in ST:TMP it seemed that each transportee had a sliding control dedicated to his or her personal well-being, while TOS and TNG had just three slides for six pads. ENT seems to have three slides, right? But that machine can only handle three people, right ("The Andorian Incident")?

I'll have to rewatch "Where No Man", really. I seem to remember slides from "The Cage", and it would seem odd for the prop to have been changed and then changed back...

Timo Saloniemi

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I did miss read it.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by targetemployee:
I am including a piece of historical fact, in 2265 transporter technicians were operating a console different from future consoles (or past consoles as may be the case), without expressing an opinion. I left the opinions to be made or not made to the reader.

What opinions would people have? Oh, boy, trasnsporter operation didn't remain identical for a hundred and twenty-five years. The only possible opinion you could be trying to encite is that the producers of Enterprise are contradicting the "flow" of the transporter by including levers too early. Am I right?

The helm console in The Motion Picture had a throttle controlling warp speeds, not present in the original series, and also not present after The Search for Spock. Things change, sometimes in unexpected ways.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was just making a set decoration/technical observation. I didn't take it as a gripe at the producers or creators of Enterprise. Just an observation for discussion.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, geez people. What the hell is it with defending Enterprise at all costs? At the slightest hint of possible complaint against the all powerful 'c' word in Enterprise and ya'll jump down somebody's throat. Please, try to be a little more rational and less easily instigated.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Please, try to be a little more rational and less easily instigated.

...says the pot calling the kettle black. That's good advice for both sides of the Enterprise debate. It's not just pro-Enterprise people doing this. The anti-Enterprise folks are doing it too.

However, TargetEmployee, you're still being unclear about the transporter console. Were there no sliders at all on the panel or were they just not used? I also remember there being sliders in "The Cage," and I find it very unlikely that the transporter console was changed so significantly between the two pilots since the transporter room was a minor set. All the redesign monies had to go to the Bridge.

There's also the other possibility that, if there were no levers, then that wasn't the usual control console. The Enterprise had to raid the Lithium cracking station of control consoles; you can see engineers installing new ones on the bridge. Considering the massive damage inflicted by the barrier, Engineering might have needed a temporary console in order run the unit.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

colin
Member # 217

Siegfried,

The transporter console had no levers. There was a console of buttons. (At times like this, I wish I knew how to scan an image and then present that image to you guys. ) On these buttons, there were words. The words are not readable.

This console was not from Delta Vega. We are shown the console before Kirk and company beam to the planet.

As I stated before, this is an observation. Do with it as you please.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The words are not readable

Then what the hell are they there for?!

"Hey, Scotty, lets put a lot of unreadable words on all our consoles so our tech guys can go 'huh?' and pull out their dictionaries!"

"O', aye, Cap'n, ye a diabolical bast'ad, aren't you, sir?"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't real clear in the earlier post. I was suggesting that if the panel was different from the familiar unit, it could be that Engineering swiped a control console from somewhere else on the ship to get the transporter unit operable. Thus, maybe the console was nicked by a technician from Waste Management Tank #4 and "reassigned" to molecular transportation.

I don't remember any words on the panel, but it definitely looks like I'm re-watching "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "The Cage" when I go home for the holidays. This is certainly piquing my interest.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: I would think he means they're unreadable on the TV screen, not that they're unreadable to someone standing two feet away from them in reality.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Observation or not, it doesn't appear to actually involve "Enterprise" the television show in any way...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps