Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Tranporter Controls (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tranporter Controls
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, it gives us something to type while we wait for the next episode...

Yeah, the console was quite a bit different in "Where No Man", both from the "The Cage" variant and the eventual TOS one. What was in the unseen central depression of the "Where No Man" console, though? Perhaps the slides were all there, and Scotty didn't need to use them while beaming aboard the inert recorder marker... When he beamed down the live crew, I think we didn't see where his hands went at all. So we can insist that even that console in fact had the slides if we weally weally want.

Timo Saloniemi

(I mean, this is the very best look we get at the "WNMHGB" control panel. The depression where Doohan is hiding his missing finger could also house other secrets...

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Timo ]

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seem like the unseen depression is some form of display. Probably to see which co-ordinates the t/p is set to. I never liked the slide things anyway, seems they were just put in for television effect, the whole thing should have been computer controlled and not need sliders. Of course they do come in handy in episodes like Mirror,mirror where the t/p has to be operated manually.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you are looking for something to do, find 'The Cage' and describe the trans. console and procedure in great detail please

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just did a quick run through of "The Cage" and "Where No Man..." It's the same console; neither one has sliders. The best view you get is when the crew attempts to beam down to the Talosian complex and only Number One and Yeoman Colt go. There are no sliders on either side of the console; there's just a flat space below the upper rows of buttons. What purpose the flat area has, your guess is as good as mine. Interestingly enough, transporter operation seems to be a two man job, since we see the same two operators over and over again.

As for the console in WNMHGB, the only differences from the first pilot seem to be brighter coloration and the deletion of the gooseneck monitor screens.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the transporter consoles in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and TMP. In the former, (and "The Cage"), I seem to recall the transporter console was the helm from the bridge, propped up to a different height. I have an old photonovel of WNMHGB and I'll check this.

The TMP transporter did have six (horizontal) sliders, but according to the plans drawn up for the console (in the Enterprise Flight Manual)these sliders are "distance controls" (who know what this means) and were apparently not meant to be used as the beaming controls a la the original show. On the other hand, int he upper left hand corner of the console there's a "manual fine-tuning handle" which one might say is analagous to the old series sliders.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... Quite interesting. It looks like I didn't remember "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" as clearly as I had thought. It is amazing that the transporter console and the helm/navigation console appear so similar in the early shot. I agree that it's likely it doesn't have sliders and that the depression is more than likely a screen or coordinate plotter.

Even more interesting is that the transporter seemed to need the two operators in the pilot episodes. This would seem to indicate a more complicated system in use. This could be due to the differences between Enterprise's prototype system and TOS's refined system. With the one large transport pad, I'm wondering if this means that everyone's patterns are mixed together in the buffer. If that's so, then the TOS transporter can keep those patterns all seperate since each person gets his/her own pad to stand on. With that, a second operator was needed to, say, monitor the pattern integrities as the first operator managed the transportation process. Then advanced computer controls were added which simplified the process to just one operator.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps