Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Archgeek? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Archgeek?
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. You're all total geeks. But you should feel prud of what you've accomplished; you've made Trek what it is today - something too embarassing to admit liking in public. . .
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think my problem is that I'm a "Collector."

That is, If I start collecting a series of things, I HAVE to get ALL of them, or I implode. (Which is why I'm staying FAR away from this Pokemon thing.)

I also collect comic books, several series of DC and Marvel trading cards, Space Shuttle mission patches, certain cartoon books (Bloom County, Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Dilbert), books by certain other SF authors (notably, Heinlein, Asimov, and Niven, among others), and a few other thngs like that there.

(I did another quick count, and I am approaching 400 OTHER SF, Fantasy, and speculative fiction books. And I bought another three Trek books this week.)

All of which helps make me an even bigger Archgeek.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here I thought I was an Archgeek! I am humbled by some of the rest of you, I am only a Padwangeek!

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have the same problem. I have one of something, I need a second, then a third... then them all...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, I do have the advantage of age going for me as well. I believe I'm almost a decade older than the average age for this board...

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes. I forgot. I have an E-E poster on my wall. And I'm not ashamed to admit I like Trek. If people want to stay away from me because I like Trek, their loss.

------------------
"Waaawhooo! Lookie here ma, I caught me a lightnin' bug!"
-Jetstorm

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The models I own are either from Ertl, Revell-Monogram, the various resin model makes like Thomas Molds, and some kitbashes I made. I right now have up to 80 since I finished creating several 1/1400 scale ships from ST:FC. And the only Micromachines I have are the shuttles and the runabout, with a count of 21 shuttles and 14 runabouts. I think that I'll buy that Locutus of Borg statue for Christmas though, to scare away all those carolers that always sing when I am sleeping.

------------------
I don't care who you are, where you're from
What you did, as long as you love me.
Who you are, where you're from
What you did, as long as you love me.

-Backstreet Boys

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My stuff is highly specialized: three tech manuals (TOS TNG DS9), TOS and TNG sketchbooks, Art of Star Trek, Continuing Mission, The Making of Star Trek, The Making of DS9. These books are a must-have for an inhabitant of these forums, it's all either tech or design sketches.

I usually purchase books on the basis of what's in them (in some cases taking notes within the bookstores). That's why I won't buy any Magazine until it has something interesting (this month it's Ricardo Delgado on DS9 interiors, next month it's Matt Jefferies on the Enterprise, which I MIGHT buy if it contains some unseen sketches).

Then I have a couple of novels which I never read, three CIC videos (Caretaker, Way of the Warrior, Trials and Tribbleations). I got them when I wanted to see an episode ahead of the time, and IN ENGLISH! (my early experience with Trek is all German). Now that I'm inundated with VOYs, DS9s and TNGs here in the US, I'm no longer that obsessed about the tapes.

I also have James Van Hise's Unofficial guide to Trek, a thick German Star Trek "history" book (Das Star Trek Universum, really good for the basics, not for tech, Bernd might have seen it....) A bunch of TNG, DS9, and VOY episodes in German, unlabeled and rerecorded over hundreds of times. That's about it.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited November 26, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ency III is finally out over here! I saw and bought it a couple of days ago (in Dymocks). It costs $40 for the soft cover (I'm yet to see the hard cover). It's my first Ency too

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

[This message has been edited by Dax (edited November 27, 1999).]

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean 40 -Australian- dollars? Otherwise it's a ripoff

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's only like $25 U.S.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes indeed Boris, $40 AUS. By current conversion rates I paid less than the US recommended price.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could I possibly marry into a family that has all of those episodes on video?

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have all the movies on tape and a handfull of episodes. Most of the interactive CDs (including a new DS9 Unofficial Multimedia Episode Guide) Practically all of the novels (including bantam) up to a few years ago when I ran out of time to continue reading (plus I wasn't to pleased with the XMen/ST crossovers that Pocket/Marvel was trying to push). Practically every single reference book that Pocket has released I usually jump on. I own practically all of the FASA books (only a handful of the LUG books so far). I have all of the Jackill books (except for Ships of Starfleet Vol 3 which was stolen AAARRRRGGG). I love finding the unusuall or uncommon refrence manuals. Klingon Intelligence Manual, a reference guide to fanzines from the 60s-80s, Star Ship Simulation (a programing book for the early 70s that used ST as a background), Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology (American and British versions), and several others. I cant wait until I get a bigger place so that I can get them all out of boxes. I also had some rare tech posters to display in my office/den area with my collection.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious to know: how can you all afford the stuff?! We're talking 1000's of $'s here! Do you not eat for 3 months or what?

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps