Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Uhura first name (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Uhura first name
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching the Star Trek special on TLC and when they did the part on Uhura they had here first name it was "nyoto" or somethin similar to that. Can this be considered canon since the show was an "official" show?
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly, the Rod and Nichelle Nichols decided that the character's full name was Nyota Uhura. Since this isn't in any of the shows or movies, though, it's not canon.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I don't think Uhura has more than one name. Fortunately, there's no canonical dispute to this... :-)

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering how unlikely it is that they'll do another episode or movie featuring Uhura, it is unlikely to be contradicted, so while it is not "canon", it can be considered "official until contradicted by an authoritative source".

--Baloo

------------------
"It is required of every man," the Ghost returned, "that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellowmen, and travel far and wide; and if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death. It is doomed to wander through the world -- oh, woe is me! -- and witness what it cannot share, but might have shared on earth, and turned to happiness!"
-- Jacob Marley's Ghost (A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens)
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's take an educated guess here.
No future show is likely to address this issue, and even if they did, they'd probably in research just phone up Nichelle and ask "Hey, did your character ever get a first name?"

So that makes Nyota as un-offically official as you're likely to get.

------------------
"You will be swept away....
You, your men, your ship, your WORLDS!"

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus the other unofficial first names- Hikaru and Pavel were eventually canonized in the movies. Too bad they did throw in a mention of her first name in VI just to make it official too.
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know.. the encyclopedia only has her named Uhura.. Swahili for 'FREEDOM' !! That's it.. no first name..

------------------
Alshrim Dax

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, wasn't Chekov's full name (or at least first) established during TOS?

------------------

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it was ???

------------------
Alshrim Dax

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Pavel Andreivich (sp?) Chekov was established in... uhh, the one where he gets a "brother," I believe. Forget the name!

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually "uhuru" is the word that means freedom. And the root of much misquoting later.

------------------
"You will be swept away....
You, your men, your ship, your WORLDS!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Day of the Dove", although I think the first occurence might be "Spectre of the Gun". They're both season 3 though, so don't quote me.

Several of the novels use "Nyota". They used "Hikaru" before VI too. Doesn't make it canon I know, but no-one's gonna contradict it are they.

------------------
*gasp* "The pictures...they're...coming...alive!"
-Abe Simpson, on the miracle of the moving image

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I will. :-)

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Exactly.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps