Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What a ripoff . . . (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What a ripoff . . .
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you seen your stuff ripped off and appear on other websites without crediting you? Those who have drawn pictures of starships could probably answer yes. Good pictures (especially of the rarer ships)are hard to come by and when someone produces one, everyone wants it. But stealing someone's post of just text I find baffling. Yet the other day I ran across a website that had descriptions of some of the lesser known starships and they were word-for-word copies of the ones I had posted here several months ago. My descriptions were by no means great pieces of analyses, so I find it odd that the author could not just make up his own. Anyway I found it interesting and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Well, back in the day, when these Forums were still nothing but two vaguely connected WWWBoard, one w/ next to no traffic, the other w/ so much it crashed repeatedly, Utopia Planitia (no bloody 2 or 3!) was ripped off in a similar manner by the "Antaries Ship Yard" (sic). That's why most of us Forum Elders are particularly opposed to plagiarism.

So, a warning to some of you: Don't do it, or we'll get mad. And, when we get mad, we rant and rave and little flecks of saliva congregate at the corners of our mouths. And I don't think you want to see flecks of saliva in the corners of our mouths, do you? I thought not...

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put up links to the (presumably) archived threads where you wrote this stuff, and links to the plagiarising sites. We'll all have a look, and then maybe decide what to do.
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*speaks in southern accent*
Sounds like a good ol' hunting party to me. Can't wait to shoot me one of those Plagerists.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that well! Everyone was mad at Antraes (sp?) Shipyards. I have been around for a long time, just that I started to recently post. UP almost closed as I remember because of that rip off.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my original post, well part one of it. I never got around to posting all of the ships as I did the first time back in 97. http://flare.solareclipse.net/Forum9/HTML/000371.html

Here is the web site: http://user.tninet.se/~miu897o/new/conjectural.txt

BTW I remember the Antares Ship Yards incident as well

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

[This message has been edited by Galen (edited November 29, 1999).]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. There are quite a few similarities. . . plus, I'm sure I've read the text for several other ships elsewhere - maybe on Bernd's page, maybe on the SWDAO. I thik this f***er is plagiarising. Someone else check it out, please, just to be sure - and then let's nail the bastard!
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All of the material contained within my homepage has been put here without thought of any infringements, if I have used material that is protected in any way, please contact me and I will remove it promptly! (Although I would appreciate if you would give me permission to use the material. It has been put on this homepage out of pure admiration!)

That's on the site's main page, and I believe it... It's probable that he obtained the text from other sources and is not the primary culprit. I'll mail...

------------------
Jubes, holding dinner: "What will you give me for the food?"
Me: "My virginity..."

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which class description is plagiarized? I for one realize the annoyance of having ones hard work copied, but typically doesn't plagiarism require at least 5 words in same order of a sentence before it is generally accepted as plagiarism. To me information contained in this page may be obtained from you, but not necessarily plagiarized. These descriptions could be obtained through consulting the list of classes and registries in the encyclopedia.

[This message has been edited by bear (edited November 30, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of them are identical to Galen's, though.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plagiarism is the copying of an idea as well, although in this case, I think it only applies to direct quotations.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's close enough to be more than coincidence.

I've received a mail back... He says he'll play with the file (fix it) within the next week or three.

------------------
Jubes, holding dinner: "What will you give me for the food?"
Me: "My virginity..."
-- Actual quote

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops.....I see it

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Galen
Member # 72

I got email back too. He claimed he didn't know what I was talking about.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Recommends remaining at DEFCON 3*

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps