Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Re: the promotion intervals (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Re: the promotion intervals
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I haven't seen it, I'm told that Voyager: "Pathfinder" saw a few TNG regulars get namechecks. Without risk of spoilers, was the info imparted along the lines of "Oh, he's fine". Or was it more of "Yes, they're all still on the Enterprise and are fine."???

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, the mentions were tied to them being on the Enterprise...but it was only Picard and Geordi who were so mentioned, I think.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding AndrewR's list, I wouldn't count Beverly Crusher as command-qualified yet as of the mid-2370s. So far we have seen her only perform some command duties aboard the Enterprises, usually at a special request by Picard. Her changing into a red shirt and taking command of a ship comes twenty years later - plenty of time for her to even go through the Academy again, if needed.

Riker should certainly have gotten a ship of her own during the war, though. And perhaps he even did? Since Data and Worf were "on assignment" in "Insurrection", what's to say that Riker couldn't have been assigned a ship for a while, too, until some sort of a lull in the war occurred (Picard speaks of "peace negotiations" with the Dominion during the movie's timeframe) and Riker was recalled to the E-E?

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: IIRC, the helmswoman was Ensign Perrim, played by Stephanie Niznik.

------------------
"The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich. Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code. Plato invented the plate."
-Holly, Red Dwarf: "Parallel Universe"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember an episode of Major Dad where the main character (a Marine Major) had been passed over for promotion to Lt. Colonel twice and was in danger of being discharged if he was passed over a third time.

But I don't think Starfleet works this way. I think they keep you around as long as you're doing your job, whether you've earned a promotion or not. If you haven't, you just don't get the responsibility of a higher rank. If you're not doing your job, you get steel towed back to Kansas.

And Picard would have to have served as the Stargazer's XO at some point. Riker said that Picard had been "a first officer yourself". He could have doubled as helmsman or whatever else he may have said he was. The Stargazer was, after all, a small ship.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could Picard have been demoted at some point after losing the Stargazer? That could explain why he doesn't talk about that period in between...

------------------
"If you attempt to return the device to the store, and you are missing one single peanut, the store personnel will laugh in the chilling manner exhibited by Joseph Stalin just after he enslaved Eastern Europe."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it's possible that Picard was demoted, but not for losing the Stargazer. He said he was cleared of those charges. Also, I doubt he could've gotten in enough trouble to be demoted from the rank of captain and still gotten command of the Federation Flagship a few years later.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: A few zillion posts ago you asked if US Navy medical personnel were able to rise to such high (CMD+) ranks.

The answer is yes. My dentist was a Commander. Her boss was a Captain in charge of the clinic (and still occasionally practising dentistry). The CO of the naval hospital at the base where I was stationed was also a Captain (MD), and I saw at least two other Captain MDs there but I don't know if they were attatched to the hospital or just visiting.

[This message has been edited by Obi Juan (edited January 20, 2000).]

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandpa was a doctor and a captain in WWII. It is (or at least used to be) normal for high ranking medical officers.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Obi Juan: That's interesting. I suppose it makes sense that an officer like the one you mentioned who was in charge of the clinic would have the rank of captain. Thanks for the present-day insight!!

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that some ships might require a CO with expertise in a certain field. For example, you wouldn't promote the Chief Science Officer of an Oberth-Class starship to command a Defiant-Class starship.

I believe Dr. Beverly Crusher was in command of the Pasteur because, above all else, she was a ship's doctor. (Sort of like the US Navy's requirment that only former aviators may command an aircraft carrier).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm a medical service corps staff officer in USN I can't pass up posting to this trans-century thread (what's up Jeff?)

Medical personnel (and other "staff" folks like lawyers, supply folks, chaplins, etc.) are given ranks exactly like "line" ranks - with equal authority etc. I can give orders to line officers who I outrank, and all that - and, at least in theory, I can be promoted to any rank. I could even get command - of something like a hospital or similar but not of a ship (only "unrestricted line officers" can command a ship). If I was (God forbid) the only officer on a ship I'd be in charge - but I would defer if a line Ensign was available (I'm a LT). {the ENS would pass choices by me out of politeness but would obviously be the one making them}.

In practice the highest rank I can hope for is CAPT, CDR is more likely. It is simply a matter of supply and demand - you get promoted according to your skills, but there also must be a billet or slot open for you to get promoted into, they are set by Congress and are based on money. As a public health officer their are limited CAPT billets available as they want to limit the money spent.

In addition - hospital ships are not commanded by Doctors in USN - the MD runs the hospital ON the ship, but someone else drives it.

Now - all of this has only as much impact on SF as Paramount wants, and in fact much of it is a fairly recent thing. Early in USN history staff folk's ranks were not the same as line ranks. It would be valid to make our ranks "warrant" ranks or whatever. (They made them the same to resolve pay problems and the like).

------------------
TK

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet of course would be beyond pay issues, at least after the TOS era - evidence of TNG-era officers getting paid is sorely missing.

Still, I don't see the logic that would drive Starfleet into giving command of medical ships to MDs. We've only seen one hospital ship, total, and her commanding officer did not at any point establish herself as a practicing doctor, only as a former one. Beverly Picard wore the red uniform and had had plenty of time to re-educate herself into a full command-line officer between TNG and the "All Good Things.." future.

I take it USN hospital ships usually have civilian crews and ship's masters, just like most of the support vessels do?

Timo Saloniemi

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, USN hospital ships are "USNS" ships vice "USS" and have civilian crews which drive them. The medical crew is military. There is a continuing discussion on how well all that works - but it did fairly well in the gulf war (last time they were really used as designed).

SF and pay - I agree, what I was trying to say was that a MD with 20 years in is going to want to receive the same chance at promotion as a line officer with 20.

Speaking of which - (and almost on topic) if Picard has been in for what, 30 years +? What is the typical career length - I mean that is a really long time!

Even more on topic - It sort of looks like they handle time till next rank like the old sail era British navy (see the Hornblower books) some people advance quickly due to talent and/or connections (getting the right job, etc.) and some don't. Also one can stay at a rank with no ill effects, which isn't done today.

------------------
TK

[This message has been edited by Toadkiller (edited February 28, 2001).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps