Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Death to the Android? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Death to the Android?
Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think downloading Data's consciousness into a ship would be a fitting fate for Data. After how far Data's come in developing his humanity, it would be a shame to basically negate all of that in one move.

Unless they plan to do more than one more movie with the entire TNG cast, I don't really see the need to do anything to Data.

IP: Logged
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does Data have to die anyway? None of the TOS characters died in ST:VI and (at the time) that was to be their last movie.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for all but three of them, it was.

But you're right. If they aren't going to do any further movies w/ the TNG group, there's no reason to kill him off.

As for his death (if it happens) being "halfway intelligent"... After how they finished off Kirk, I wouldn't count on it.

------------------
"The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich. Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code. Plato invented the plate."
-Holly, Red Dwarf: "Parallel Universe"

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my opinion is the same, data's death is inevitable, and it will be done poorly, lame like Kirk's death, but I agree though, why not just end it with him alive, the next trek movie will probably be the last TNG trek movie

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say it again, I don't think Brent Spiner wants to do Data anymore. For him to agree to be Data in the next (and possibly last) TNG movie, they may have to write in something that removes him from the role. He himself has said though (I'm paraphrasing here) that he doesn't think it's the end of Data, just the end of Data with him.

This removal would have to be either a change of appearance and minor personality changes for Data, or Data's death. But, if they say it will definately be the last TNG movie, I don't see any reason to get rid of him either.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-If it's the last thing we see of the TNG crew, let him live though one more movie (or find an excuse for him not being there, apart from death)
-If he "must" die, then they should let him dead, not like Spock and countless others who keep coming back.
-Don't even think of replacing Data's consience or tricks like that, no-one can play him like Spiner.

------------------
So small,
so innocent,
so young,
so delicately done,
grown up in your poison.

"Little Baby Swastikkka"
-Skunk Anansie

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the reason I was suggesting this is because it would allow Spiner to keep doing small roles as Data while avoiding the old android thing. It'd just be his voice, or at most an image of him. Of course, Data would probably create a holo image of himself so maybe it doesn't fix the problem.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Don't even think of replacing Data's consience or tricks like that, no-one can play him like Spiner"

Er, how do you know? If everyone had that attitude, we'd never have had Brosnan's Bond or Tom Baker's Doctor. Or ever Robert Llewelyn's Kryten.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just think that if anyone tried to do Data, it just wouldn't be the same. Brent Spiner is just too good.
Oh, and in my opinion, Sean Connery is still the best Bond.

------------------
new siggy coming soon.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey... if we can create such great characters as JarJar Binks, why can't we do a CGI of Data...Spiner could still do his voice, but Data will never get old...

What do you guys think?

------------------
"I suppose you thought I was dead? No such thing. Don't flatter yourselves that I haven't got my eye upon you. I am wide awake, and you give plenty to look at."
Household Words, Aug. 24, 1850
From the Raven in the Happy Family

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLEASe say that you meant "great characters such as..." as a joke. Otherwise I'll have to remove your skin and stick you in a blender.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well jar jar is definatly a bad example of a CGI charachter, but I'm sure you've all heard about final fantasy: the movie, the charachters are supposed to be photorealistic, they could make a photorealistic CGI data, and Spiner could just do the voice. That way Data will never grow old. Only problem is cost, but I think that even if it was cost effective, it still wouldn't get done.

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but that doesn't work if Spiner doesn't want to do the role at all anymore.

And think the "great" reference to Binks referred to the CGI work, not the character itself. At least, I hope so...

------------------
"The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich. Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code. Plato invented the plate."
-Holly, Red Dwarf: "Parallel Universe"

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:-)

------------------
"I suppose you thought I was dead? No such thing. Don't flatter yourselves that I haven't got my eye upon you. I am wide awake, and you give plenty to look at."
Household Words, Aug. 24, 1850
From the Raven in the Happy Family

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spiner does not want to be known as Data for the rest of his life.

But, if he could be talked into another movie lotsa make up would work. Look at Michael Dorn and Worf.

------------------
Peace on Earth

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps