Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » How to beat the Borg? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How to beat the Borg?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. Here's my take on it. The cube in FC was destroyed simply because the entire fleet focused their firepower on one spot. This was too much for the sheilding, so it collapsed, and they pummeled the hull. There wasn't already damage there.

As for fighting the Borg drones, I say each officer should have a phaser rifle and a TR-116. Start with the phaser, and when they adapt to it, use the TR-116. Once they adapt to that, go back to the phaser. IMHO, they can only set their sheilds to deflect energy weapons or projectiles, not both.

And I also had another theory. Perhaps the Borg cubes and their machinery are powered by the biological drones themselves, � la Matrix?

------------------
Chris's Home Page
The Psi Corps is your friend. Trust the Corps.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao: Why shoot something you're going to assimilate.. no use assimilating damaged goods, right??

And to defeat the Borg... The Virus Prog that Geordi and Data came out with... That's the ticket.

Confuse them so bad, they shut down, and they're history.

OR..

Become allies with 8472

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!! :)

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tommy guns? How about 50 Chain guns with 1000 rounds each? Like the ones in Aliens and Predator.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that eventually, the Borg would adapt to projectile weapons as well as they have to directed energy weapons. The reason Picard was so successful with the Tommy gun is because the Borg were not familiar with that technology. Most of the species they have assimilated have been advanced species who probably use energy weapons of some sort.

As far as destroying the ship, it seems like they were suggesting that the spot Picard targeted was simply a vulnerable spot in the hull. Some kind of blindspot or something. Data said there didn't appear to be anything important about that spot but it was vulnerable none the less.

I believe that Picard probably had residual Borg tech in his body. I don't believe the nano-probes were used in Picard's assimilation since the Queen wanted a different kind of drone. But even so, the Doctor on Voy had to come up with a whole new way of extracting the tech from the lovely 7 and for neutralizing nano-probes. If Crusher had gotten everything out, you'd think the Doctor would've known about that.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does everyone ignore my posts or something?

------------------
Chris's Home Page

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I think he was consciously waiting for a particular moment during the battle was his few-second pause before saying "Fire". In those seconds we saw at least two ships get blasted, killing their crews!
I don't think Picard would add a dramatic pause at such high cost; ergo, he was waiting for a key re-routing of power or something on the cube.

P.S. No we're not ignoring you Fabrux.

------------------
Gene: "I AM Star Trek"
Yvonne: "You can't sum yourself up in so small a package."
Gene: "SMALL?!!"

- Gene Roddenberry: The Last Conversation

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Good. I was beginning to get that impression

------------------
Chris's Home Page

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A. Dax: Yes, that's a good point about not wanting to damage the prospective asimilee (?), but why do they have to be just walk up and grab? Why can't they immobilize at long range somehow, such as with phasers on stun, gases, or a longer range version of the neck buzzer thingee? Or how about using nonlethal weapons now being researched like spreading sticky stuff on the floor (like roach motels), spraying a hardening foam, and lights and sounds to induce seizures, confusion, and nausea? These things might also work against the borg.

Your point suggests a possible weakness in the Borg approach: If their main strategy is to walk up and grab you (rather than shoot you at long range), you should have a lot of opportunities to kill them or stop them before they reach you, assuming your attack is not deflected. I suppose this is something like resisting arrest by the police (of course the police will kill you if you resist enough).

The Borg shielding may be something like the personal shielding in the Dune books. The shields in Dune can stop energy weapons, but can be penetrated by knives entering at a certain angle and speed. Any Dune fans that can elaborate?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Holtzmann effect deflects any object with a high enough kinetic energy. This translates into something like 3 cm per second, or so.

Sorry, Dune mode.

Anyway, why do the Borg walk up to you? Because they can. In the mind of the Borg, why waste the energy running after you? They'll get you eventually. Running is saved for species that are actually a threat.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Sol's right on the mark here.

(I can't believe I'm agreeing with Sol! )

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, consider this. By using a slow, methodical, juggernaut approach (they just keep coming and coming) the Borg may lose a few expendable drones, but they also get to use up an enemies reserves and get to sample every form of attack they are able to throw at the drones. Once they've adapted to the attack, it is no longer a threat to them from anyone and can't be used again.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever heard this one?

StarTrek "The Borg" - The Lost Episodes

Picard: "Mr. LaForge, have you had any success with your attempts at finding a weakness in the Borg? And Mr. Data, have you been able to access their command pathways?"

Geordi: "Yes, Captain. In fact, we found the answer by searching through our archives on late Twentieth-century computing technology." Geordi presses a key, and a logo appears on the computer screen.

Riker looks puzzled. "What the hell is 'Microsoft'?"

Data turns to answer. "Allow me to explain. We will send this program, for some reason called 'Windows', through the Borg command pathways. Once inside their root command unit, it will begin consuming system resources at an unstoppable rate."

Picard: "But the Borg have the ability to adapt. Won't they alter their processing systems to increase their storage capacity?"

Data: "Yes, Captain. But when 'Windows' detects this, it creates a new version of itself known as an 'upgrade'. The use of resources increases exponentially with each iteration. The Borg will not be able to adapt quickly enough. Eventually all of their processing ability will be taken over and none will be available for their normal operational functions."

Picard: "Excellent work. This is even better than that 'unsolvable geometric shape' idea."

15 Minutes Later...

Data: "Captain, we have successfully installed the 'Windows' in the Borg's command unit. As expected, it immediately consumed 85% of all available resources. However, we have not received any confirmation of the expected 'upgrade'."

Geordi: "Our scanners have picked up an increase in Borg storage and CPU capacity, but we still have no indication of an 'upgrade' to compensate for their increase."

Picard: "Data, scan the history banks again and determine if there is something we have missed."

Data: "Sir, I believe there is a reason for the failure in the 'upgrade'. Apparently the Borg have circumvented that part of the plan by not sending in their registration cards."

Riker: "Captain, we have no choice. Requesting permission to begin emergency escape sequence 3F ...."

Geordi, excited: "Wait, Captain! Their CPU capacity has suddenly dropped to 0% !"

Picard: "Data, what does your scanners show?"

Data, studying displays: "Apparently the Borg have found the internal 'Windows' module named 'Solitaire', and it has used up all available CPU capacity."

Picard: "Let's wait and see how long this 'Solitaire' can reduce their functionality."

Two Hours Pass...

Riker: "Geordi, what is the status of the Borg?"

Geordi: "As expected, the Borg are attempting to re-engineer to compensate for increased CPU and storage demands, but each time they successfully increase resources I have setup our closest deep space monitor beacon to transmit more 'Windows' modules from something called the 'Microsoft Fun-pack'.

Picard: "How much time will that buy us?"

Data: "Current Borg solution rates allow me to predicate an interest time span of 6 more hours."

Geordi: "Captain, another vessel has entered our sector."

Picard: "Identify."

Data: "It appears to have markings very similar to the 'Microsoft' logo..."

Over the speakers: "THIS IS ADMIRAL BILL GATES OF THE MICROSOFT FLAGSHIP MONOPOLY. WE HAVE POSITIVE CONFIRMATION OF UNREGISTERED SOFTWARE IN THIS SECTOR. SURRENDER ALL ASSETS AND WE CAN AVOID ANY TROUBLE. YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS TO COMPLY."

Data: "The alien ship has just opened its forward hatches and released thousands of humanoid-shaped objects."

Picard: "Magnify forward viewer on the alien craft!"

Riker: "My God, captain! Those are human beings floating straight toward the Borg ship - with no life support suits! How can they survive the tortures of deep space?!"

Data: "I don't believe that those are humans, sir. If you will look closer I believe you will see that they are carrying something recognized by twenty-first century man as doeskin leather briefcases, and wearing Armani suits."

Riker and Picard, together horrified: "Lawyers!!"

Geordi: "It can't be. All the Lawyers were rounded up and sent hurtling into the sun in 2017 during the Great Awakening."

Data: "True, but apparently some must have survived."

Riker: "They have surrounded the Borg ship and are covering it with all types of papers."

Data: "I believe that is known in ancient vernacular as 'red tape'. It often proves fatal."

Riker: "They're tearing the Borg to pieces!"

Picard: "Turn the monitors off, Data, I cant bear to watch. Even the Borg doesn't deserve such a gruesome death!"

------------------
So small,
so innocent,
so young,
so delicately done,
grown up in your poison.

"Little Baby Swastikkka"
-Skunk Anansie

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROTFL!!!
I've read that little piece myself before, but it still gets me every time!

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: I agree with you. Masao: They're not strategists !! In their twisted form of "Pure Logic", Resistance is Futile !! Which means .. They think you can't stop them. YOu fire at them, they are unharmed.

Humans fight at long range to avoid getting hurt.. that's the whole premise of long distance warfare ... Well.. Imagine if we felt no pain, and had no fear to die; and one mother-of-an-ego that said that nothing can appose us. And on top of that, all we have to do to defeat the enemy is touch them on the neck !! And on top of that ... Their weapons are useless against you.. I wouldn't waste the energy either.. and you have to remember that the Borg (in the word of 7 of 9 herself) strive for perfection and ultimate efficiency. They rule out all irrelevencies (like running after you) and perform the task at hand. They've assimilate entire worlds in this fashion. I think they think... why fix it if it ain't broke!

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited January 19, 2000).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember TBofBW where Dr. Crusher suggests using a destructive breed of Naanites to cripple the Borg?

What do you think?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps