Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Titles of series 5 candidates? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Titles of series 5 candidates?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cinescape (cinescape.com) confirms the series concept testing report by AICN last week and gives more information and titles of possible new series. Here's what they said:

"Trek Series Testing
Ain't It Cool News has reported the Paramount has been testing concepts for the next Star Trek series on selected focus groups. According to the report, individuals were paid to respond to descriptions of three possible future Trek series. The three concepts being considered are Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, Star Trek: Enterprise and Star Trek: Alpha Squad, all of which have been rumored at one time or another.

Starfleet Academy takes place after the Dominion War and tells the story of Starfleet cadets serving on a starship commanded by a seasoned captain. The Enterprise concept is a prequel that takes place in the 22nd
century. Alpha Squad is set long the Dominion War and depicts an elite force of two ships that are dispatched on special mission.

Although Paramount gives a "no comment" regarding the focus testing, several reliable sources have confirmed the story."

Believe if you want to! (What's a ship named Enterprise doing in the 2100's?)

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is just a nightmare, please wake me up!!!

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek today (http://www.trektoday.com/ "Focus Group Did Happen") gives slightly more info. Are these the best they could come up with?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose anyone would ever want to treat such things as rumours... Especially considering Braga maintains it must be quintessentially Trek, but somewhat different -- and none of these fit that description of his!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*gives serious consideration to hunting down the next person to speak of Starfleet Academy, and duct-taping them to a chair, force-feeding them haggis while they are made to watch the entire series run of 90210.*

Then I'd get REALLY unpleasant.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I can only watch that series up to when they all graduate high school. Besides, I like Shannon on "Charmed" than in 90210. Her character as Prue fits her actual personality.

------------------
Show me the meaning of being lonely
Is this the feeling, I need to walk in
Tell me why I can't be there where you are
There's something missing in my heart

-Backstreet Boys

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Star Trek: Enterprise sounds like something I suggested in another thread. Could use a better name, though. That's what people who don't watch the show call the ship. "Hey, isn't that the Star Trek Enterprise?" And there was a ship called Enterprise in the 2100's, Masao. ST:TMP, in the pics of various Enterprises, there's one we've never gotten an explaination of. I like the idea of going back to the Enterprise.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, personally, I place that ship in the late 2000s. So, there really isn't any proof that it was around in the 2100s.

Of course, if the potential series is supposed to take place in the early days of the UFP (not before it), this new (old) Enterprise couldn't even be a Starfleet ship. Otherwise it would throw off the whole scheme. The E-nil would become the E-A, the E-E would become the E-F, etc.

------------------
"If you attempt to return the device to the store, and you are missing one single peanut, the store personnel will laugh in the chilling manner exhibited by Joseph Stalin just after he enslaved Eastern Europe."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I don't buy this "focus group" business, but who knows?

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you swapped 90210 for somewhat better programming that "punishment" sounds like a fun way to spenda na evening!

The name "Enterprise" may just refer to the series, not the ship (admittedly that'd be pretty stupid though).

I don't think the Dominion War will play any part whatsoever in series 5, because it ties in too much with DS9. The new series will be structured so you don't need to have watched the most recent incarnations to get it.

Recall the ship-and-crew in space concept looks likely tobe rehected as having been done too often. We need a group of characters close enough to be effectively a familar unit (a "family" for viewers to get fond of). And they need to be doing cool, exciting things in a sci-fi environment. And there needs to be a red-alert light on the wall somewhere. Doesn't matter if it's a torch strapped to a tree with duct tape, so long as when the chips are down someone turns it on and goes "uuuuUUUUUUURRRRRHHH! uuuuUUUUUUURRRRRHHH!" with aplomb.

Oh, and yes I believe Paramount would seek out focus group responses. It's what I'd do to cover my ass.

------------------
Gene: "I AM Star Trek"
Yvonne: "You can't sum yourself up in so small a package."
Gene: "SMALL?!!"

- Gene Roddenberry: The Last Conversation

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have just read TrekToday's article. Bloody 'ell! Announcement within a few weeks! Be still my beating heart!

On further consideration, the third concept Alpha Squad" is a cool idea for a show, but can you say "PRIME DIRECTIVE"?

Since it's pretty central to the Federation's ideology, this seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

------------------
Gene: "I AM Star Trek"
Yvonne: "You can't sum yourself up in so small a package."
Gene: "SMALL?!!"

- Gene Roddenberry: The Last Conversation

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the ONLY one who thinks that there SHOULD NOT be a new Trek for at least 5 years!?!

Anyone else who thinks the same say: "Aye".

Andrew

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nay

------------------
"You insulted Shakespeare? I'm telling."
-Miss Bate

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye..... sort of. It would be good to revitalize Trek, but I really don't want to go 5 years without new Star Trek. I hope there is a new series soon, but it has to be good. Continuity, character development and a good setting is what is needed. Ideas have to be used from the uniqueness of the setting. DS9 and Voyager both had story lines that were never used that could not have been used on a different series. If I have to, I will wait 5 years for a new series. Maybe they will have a 5 year wait after the fifth series is done.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And to those who say nay... think of this first...

1. Have you seen EVERY episode of TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager (especially seen nearly every episode of TNG and DS9 TWICE...) TAS is optional - but at least 2 or 3 would be nice

2. Have you seen EVERY movie - at least 3 times each.

3. Do you or have you watched all of Babylon 5, Crusade and/or Earth: Final Conflict and The X Files.

Cause people - Trek fans aren't just Voy fans or TOS fans - generally they are fans of the lot - plus they like other Sci-fi shows that have saturated the market since 1994.

More and more are coming - and I don't want to have Star Trek run into the ground by people who are doing Trek - just to hold onto a job cause it has the name Star Trek tagged onto it. Its too easy to be successful with a Star Trek project, because of the quality of its history, that being TOS and TNG - and now DS9...

Voyager is improving but DS9 and Voyager suffered both from split audiences, poor coverage and uninspired creators...

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps