Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Non stop Star Trek: 1987- whenever Voyager ends. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Non stop Star Trek: 1987- whenever Voyager ends.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never really seen B5 either. And here's the reason: The story seemed so go good and so well done, that I didn't want to start in half way through. I knew I'd never catch up. I want to wait until I can catch it from the get go in synd. or on tapes. I want a Trek series like this! I want ot know I'm getting a thought out story if I'm going to invest time in it!

Of course I'm probably arguing Paramount's point. They don't want people deciding not to watch because they think they'll be lost. Course, if they'd just watch from the beginning...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A highly involved continuing storyline can be intimidating to a potential viewer who is not familiar with it. I too have avoided B5 for the same reason. Even DS9's plot threads were a little too complex for some people to just start watching during the last two seasons. I know earlier on in the series a missed a couple seasons (4 and most of 5) and when I starting watching again it seemed very confusing (and convoluted) to me. The cardassians are our enemies and the kilingons are our friends, the klingons are our enemies and the cardassians are our friends, the cardassians are our enemies and the klingons are our friends....
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Individual storylines are fine, but you need these stories which sometimes continue into later episodes because it allows for good character and plot development. Forty-five minutes is a very short space of time to do many meaningful things. The Dominion war only worked because there was this continuing theme right from when they first met the Jem Hadar to the end in WYLB. It made it interesting, especially the Final Chapter arc.

Any new series should be like this also. It gives the actors/actresses time to act without the restraints of the 45 minute show. That doesn't mean that they should do away with the standalone stories. They are part of Trek, but for the sake of character development, they need these longer stories.

------------------
Democracy simply means the bludgeoning of the people, by the people and for the people.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, to be practical, who would make this decision? Berman? Can you see him sitting in his office saying "right,Star Trek nees a break for two years. I'm sure Paramount will pay me to come into my office, drink coffee and 'recharge my batteries' for the next couple of years."?

If that happens, I will personally eat CC's beard.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited February 12, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps