Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » This is deeply worrying (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This is deeply worrying
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trektoday, that font of knowledge, informs me of a very worrying news item:
Click on me

I'm shocked Paramount allowed her to do this. I don't care what one-liners some dumb senator spouts in the Congress, and I don't care how democratic Mulgrew's politics are.

Her character is a role-model, especially to kids watching the show, and I think any attempt to bring the cultural power and reputation of Trek into the world of day-to-day politics is a disgusting and shameful act. Gene Roddenberry would have blown a fuse, but he's dead so I'm blowing one instead.

She wants to express an opinon? fine. Let her do it in a shopping mall, or an office block, or on the streets. But not IN THAT UNIFORM, or ON THAT BRIDGE.

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Paramount "frows" upon it, as the article says, how did it happen? Did Mulgrew sneak in after hours with a film crew, get into costume, shoot the ad, get the film, and run out? Possibly stealing some apples on the way?

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."
Xander Harris

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ugh* She's a Democrat? Now I have a reason not to like her :P

------------------
"I object to all this sex on the television. I mean, I keep falling off!"

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the security they have at Paramount it is absolutely impossible that anything could have been filmed on the sets without the cooperation of Paramount itself.

------------------
"No way man!
Not without a fight!"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the article stated that "Paramount generally frowns upon Star Trek actors wearing their uniforms while promoting any marketing or partisan political cause..." (emphasis added). This means that it is unclear whether Paramount authorized such action.

If Paramount specifically did not authorize this 30-second clip, we shall hear all sorts of uproar over this, as they are supremely jealous of their trademarks and copyrights. If they did, we shall hear nothing -- and the sound of silence will confirm that Paramount is backing democratic candidates.

Ugh! I wish the studios, at least, would keep their views to themselves. It's hard to tell actors to stay out of politics, since as soon as they become popular, they begin to believe that the ability to show up on time, remember their lines, and hit their marks means that they are also political geniuses who know better than we do.

--Baloo

------------------
"Any teenager in a deserted, adult-free location who has sex will be hacked to red glistening teen tartare before the evening�s out."
--James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 27, 2000).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo, certainly your not saying that simply being famous eliminates the right to have and state opinions where politics are concerned. Just like all the rest of us simple citizens can.

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited February 27, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but they're going beyond that here. It's not Mulgrew speaking, it's the Star Trek franchise.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We were leaving New York this morning and we were checking in at the gate at the airport and the attendant said, 'You must be musicians,' and I said, 'Yes,' and she asked, 'What's the name of your band?,' and I said, 'We're called the Statesmen,' and she said, 'Oh, I've heard of you!'. I think if we'd said, you know, 'We're the Green Egg,' or something, she would have said the same thing." - John Linnell

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be sure, Mulgrew calling out the Bolian vote in uniform represents something rather distasteful.

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting... She never even addresses the other candidate's opinions. She just chastises him for saying "Beam me up" in Congress. And she's doing a political commercial in a SF uniform. Let's just think about that one for a while...

Of course, I think it would be supremely funny if it turned out that Paramount had not authorized this, and, suddenly, the Voyager's captain is mysteriously killed sometime between episodes...

------------------
Jackson: "Basically, he was the original Satan."
O'Neill: "Well, isn't that special?"
-Stargate SG-1: "Serpent's Song"

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

Next Week on Voyager:

Depressed by an alien species refusal to stop polluting their world's environment, Captain Janeway enters the holodeck to enlist the aid of a hologram of Al Gore, who suggests a helpful five-point plan she can propose...

------------------
"No way man!
Not without a fight!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They give him the Holodoc's mobile emitter, and he beams down to the planet, invents the Internet, and then all the aliens spend all their time online and don't have the opportunity to pollute. :-)

------------------
Jackson: "Basically, he was the original Satan."
O'Neill: "Well, isn't that special?"
-Stargate SG-1: "Serpent's Song"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dislike this concept as well. Er... is it for certain to be true? I mean, it does kind of sound like a tabloid report...

As for democrats in television and Hollywood, I think it's practically a requirement to get in, nowadays. The only Republicans left are Charlton Heston and Tom Sellek.

**WARNING -- DIGRESSION AHEAD -- WARNING**

The media / news conglomerates generally lean so far left its surprising they don't fall over

This is why, if you look closely, you'll see that EVERYONE on TV who obtains a firearm, who is not a police officer or in a military organization, no matter who they are or what their character was like before, IMMEDIATELY becomes a complete idiot. Standard practice is that they then become trigger-happy or paranoid or fear-stricken and wind up hurting or nearly hurting themselves or someone else.

Totally unrealistic bias.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two, I personally haven't seen the ad, but a few people at the Trek BBS have. So, somewhat unfortunately, it does exist.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

I find it simply amazing how every argument on politics seems to come back to guns on some level.

Kate Mulgrew made a tv spot for a politician. She's a leftist pinko commie Democrat like everyone else is in Hollywood. She and they hates guns! Damn them for trying to take mine away!

Fascinating.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps