Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Galaxy Map (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galaxy Map
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK this is my galaxy map - used on an astrometrics pic - its not THAT clear - but I just did it last night (the actual pic - but the ideas have been brewing from about 4 incarnations of this board before)

here is a legend for the map:

(a) Dominion Space
(b) Borg Space
(c) The United Federation of Planets
(d) The Klingon Empire
(e) The Romulan Star Empire
(f) The Cardassian Union
(g) Breen Space
(h) The Ferengi Alliance
(h1)Talarian/Tzenkathi/Klaestron space
(i) Gorn Space
(j) Kazon/Trabe/Vidiian Space
(k) The Nekrit Expanse
(l) Cytherian Space
(m) Krenim Imperium
(n) The Tholian Assembly

1. The Badlands
2. Bajoran Space/ Deep Space Nine/ Alpha Quadrant Terminus of the stable wormhole
3. Barzan Space/ Barzan oscillating wormhole
4. Idran System/Gamma Quadrant Terminus of the stable wormhole
5. Delta Quadrant Terminus of the Barzan wormhole
6. Oscillating end of the Barzan wormhole
7. Ocampan Space/ The Caretaker

Alpha Beta Gamma and Delta Quadrants
3d
Actual arms of galaxy not shown

Sources, and points of reference.

*The Quadrant and placement of earth as being on the boundary from the Star Trek Encyclopaedia first edition.
*UFP large over 150 members Picard (Star Trek: First Contact)
*Closer to the Galactic Rim than the Galactic center/core. TOS
*Romulans and Klingons on the 'right side' of the UFP (STE)
*Cardassians and Talarians (Suddenly Human) on 'left'
*Romulus close to Vulcan (TOS)(Unification TNG)
*Romulan Star Empire Close to Earth (Earth/Romulan wars... needed to
be close enough for old warp ships (capable of a few sectors at most)
*Romulans 'known' before Klingons (TOS) (Earth/Romulan wars) Klingon First Contact was afterwards and with the UFP) (disastrous first contact)
*R.S.E. close to earth (Past Tense) in alternate future Defiant scanned for Federation, wasn't there the closest readings were coming from the Romulans occupying a usual 'heavily populated region' of the UFP the Rigel system.
*Planet Khitomer is on the boader between Romulans Klingons and UFP
*In Face of the Enemy - TNG The Commander of the Romulan ship said she was commended for winning a boarder skirmish against heavy klingon assult...
*Romulans next to Klingons... (Redemption II - tachyon detection grid)
*Klingons and Romulans in the Beta Quadrant
*Klingon Empire spills over into the Alpha Quadrant
*Klingon Empire needs to be close enough for
*Quark to get there with in a short period of time (House of Quark)
*The Klingon outposts in Firstborn TNG
*the klingons to enter the war against the dominion before the Romulans... Sisko said once the federation and klingon empire fall, the romulans will be next ??a line of site??
*The Klingons able to War with Cardassia and UFP i.e. at DS9 (Way of the Warrior)
*For the Klingon Empire 'to expand'
*Bajor near Cardassia (Emissary)
*Bashir to travel to Cardassia in the wire in a relatively short time
*Bajor close The Three Cardassian ships arriving in Emissary
*Dr. Bashir Travelling to Cardassia in a relatively short time to visit Enabrin Tain "The Wire"
*Wormhole in Bajor system
*Still be 'Deep Space' from a UFP perspective
*Ferenginar needs to be close enough to DS9
*for Quark to go back and forth with no effort at all
*For the Grand Nagus to visit DS9 readily
*for all those Ferengi to visit DS9 readily at the drop of a hat (The Nagus' supposed death) in (The Nagus)
*Far enough away to be a rumour to the Federation in "Encounter at Farpoint" (Deneb "Farpoint Station" the ferengi were just a rumour)
*Quark and his Bar were on DS9 well before the Cardassians left at least since TNG season 1
*The Tzenkathi close enough (but far enough away) for the defiant to 'show the flag' in (The Adversary)
*Doesn't look like the Xenkathi and the Obsidian Order didn't get on too well (or at least Garak) (By Inferno's Light)
*Romulans have had relationships with the Cardassians for a while (Garak being a gardener at the Cardassian embassy on Romulus (Apocalypse Rising)
*Klaestron IV close enough to Cardassia. allies with Cardassia Odo went to Klaestron IV in a runabout and didn't take too long in 'Dax' Bashir went to a medical conference on Klaestron IV in 'Second Skin'
*Kataria close to DS9 for the Katarian woman friend of Quarks to visit intermittently
*Katarians tried to take over the federation - The Enterprise wasn't far away from being at El Adrel, and Romulan Space and Klingon Space (The Game)
*Cassidy Yates said that Cestus three was on the other side of the federation
*Earth has to be atleast a weeks travel from DS9 (Homefront/Paradise Lost)
*Klingon empire can't be THAT close - Martok's Fleet had had a long journey - "Way Of The Warrior"
*Talarians on DS9 - Garak mentioned to Bashir that they took their time eating
*DSk7 near Shermans planet - apparently near the klingons "Trials and Tribbleations"
*The TOS pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" took place at the galactic edge - next episode (stardate) near the First Federation the Galactic barrier must be a closer distance out from Earth than the cardassian
*Vulcans first contact with earth
*Vulcans and Romulans must be sort of close - descended Romulans left a VERY long time ago - probably not in very fast ships
*Yridians seem to be hovering near DS9 TNG - Birthright and The Chase
*Breen on the desert planet where the cardassian transport crashed "DS9" Indiscretion
*Enterprise near where the black cluster where the Breen were thought to have been near and destroyed a science vessel "Hero Worship"
*the 'disruptor wielders' i.e. the Klingons Romulans and the Breen seem to be close together - "Generations"
*according to (not cannon) the Ferengi book by Ira Behr Robert Wolfe the Ferengi bought Warp drive from the Breen - hinted at in "Little green men" and the Breen settled the polar areas of Ferenginar
*the Prometheus was in the Beta Quadrant on a Deep Space Assignment "Message in a Bottle" on the map from Astrometrics it was a fair way into the Beta Quadrant...
*galornen core on the romulan/fed neutral zone "Unification" "The Enemy"
*there is a (or there was a) DMZ between the cardassians and the federation
*Dopterians a distant cousin of the Ferengi - "The Forsaken" and "First Born"
*The Borg seem to have come through Romulan Space to get to wolf 359 which is 'behind' the UFP in the line of sight to the Delta Quadrant
so the borg cube must have swung around... we also saw in Neutral zone the there had been a borg scout? digging up neutral zone bases...
*wouldn't put the Cardassians on the exact other side of the UFP compared to KE and RSE and Ferenginar cause of what i've said above!

*Dominion in Gamma Quadrant
*The Wormhole Gamma Quadrant Terminus and The distance USS VOYAGER is away from the UFP is about the same.
*Cytherians live close to the Galactic Core. (The Nth Degree)
*The Barzan Wormhole oscillated across the Gamma and Delta Quadrants.

*Delta Quadrant
*Caretaker way out on the edge
*near Kazon/Vidiian/Talaxian/Haakonan
*nekrit expanse seems to be v.huge a sort of buffer between them and the Borg
*borg space about 10000 LY.s wide
*Borg on the Denkiri arm - "encyc."

This list is constantly expanding
If you'd like to add to it e-mail me
[email protected]

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

[This message was edited by AndrewR on April 21, 1999.]

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!

------------------
"I AM THE SPIDER!!!!"
- Vic Reeves

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Very nice. Only two tiny problems though...

Nearly every somewhat canon map (at least the Encyclopedia and the DS9TM) have Klingons where you have the Romulans and the Romulans where you have the Klingons.

The Krenim Imperium is much larger than what you have marked. Trust me. Don't make me get out my "Why the Krenim Imperium is over 16000 light-years across" speech...

------------------
Garak: Interesting. You saved the day by destroying the world.
Bashir: I bet they didn't teach you that in the Obsidian Order.

-Deep Space Nine, "Our Man Bashir."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating. There's still a lot to check, but that's the most precise canon map by far that was ever shown.

I agree with Krenim about the Klingons/Romulans and the Krenim Empire. But now that some basics are clear we can try to explain the details.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Map of the Galaxy
In the episode "Conspiracy", there is a map of Federation space. The map was later seen in episodes of TNG and DS9. And, eventually, the map was duplicated in the Continuing Missions.
First the earth is center. Galactic barrier is south. Galaxy center is north.
According to the map, the Federation has a boundary that runs along the galactic barrier-like the Rio Grande that draws a border between Mexico and Texas. The Federation has no territory outside this boundary. I believe the Federation calls this area of space the Morgana Quadrant (Where Silence Has Lease).
2293-First recorded use of the A-B-D-G designatioon (describes the galaxy). The Morgana Quadrant doesn't fit this system. What other use could the Morgana Quadrant be applied to? An area of space outside the galaxy. According to the episode Where Silence Has Lease, the Enterprise was taking a very long time to reach the Morgana Quadrant. First stated in the Child, the Enterprise was still on the way to the Morgana Quadrant in WSHL. I am sure that a GCS could withstand the properties of the Galactic Barrier.
a. First Federation-This Federation is to the northwest of Earth in an area of space that is largely uncharted.
b. Klingons-
The Klingons are to the northeast of Earth. More importantly, according to the map, the Klingons occupy a portion of the northern hemisphere.
c. Romulans-
According to the map, the Romulans occupy a small region of space directly east of Earth. The Federation has been able to explore areas around the Romulan Star Empire.
d. Tholian Assembly
This is a surprise. According to the map, they are in the first cube that borders the galactic barrier. By their placement in the cube, the Tholian Assembly is in the southern hemisphere.
This map helps define where these nations are.

[This message was edited by Trinculo on April 21, 1999.]

[This message was edited by Trinculo on April 21, 1999.]

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, all those large cloud things were already drawn in? Or did you make them? Also, care to tell us where the Hirogen are?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK a few things -
thanks for the kind comments
the clouds - I drew in...
that map from 'Conspiracy' - isn't it a little iffy - but I have seen it in the continuing mission - its all the planets that the Enterprise - Nil visited wasn't it... or at least general areas...

I assume the federation boarders on the galactic barrier - other more clearer maps - a bit more 'clinical' have it as such

reguarding the Klingon Romulan placement - I originally had it swapped as most do - but Boris - you know - Boris S?? he's around here somewhere - way back when convinced me of the swap

basically - Romulas has to be closer to Earth - the Q'onos - cause of the first contact situations - the Romulan wars were well before the first Disastrous Klingon first contact - by the Adelphi?

100 or so years later

The Krenim imperium - is bigger I guess - but didn't it reduce back to size - once Voyager destroyed the Timeship - was the large size of it because of Annorax's tweaking of the time line?

The Hirogen are in that goldesqu area - near the Krenim space - but it is very thinly spread...

In my clearer maps - you can see the Tholians/Talaraian/Tzenkathi/Katarians/Breen/Klaestron clearer -

The First Federation is prollay (i would say on the 'left' side of the Federation - they could even be part of the Federation for all we know...

Khitomer of course is in the triangle between Romulans/Klingons and the UFP

------------------
The house is falling down, 'cause of my loose tounge.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's going to make me get out my speech, isn't he?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Hirogen have any defined territory. They're a nomadic race, and don't have any formal government to define borders even if they wanted to.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

your right Sol, I guess you could show an 'area of operation' but I didn't put them on the map...

------------------
The house is falling down, 'cause of my loose tounge.

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. One of the best I've seen.
Flip the Klingons and Romulans.

------------------
Down for Upgrade

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galaxy Map, Galaxy Map,
Galaxy Map hates Canon Map,
They have a fight, Galaxy wins,
Galaxy map...

Yeah, that map's really good. I may have to download it and print the pic for use in my gaming group.

I used to think the Breen were on the left, "below" Cardassian space, (Where you put Talarian/Tzenkathi/Klaestron,) but maybe not.

I do agree that the Klingon and Rommies should be flipped, though.

And Krenim is right, the "Original" Krenim before the time meddling had a BIG area of space. Annorax's mission was SUPPOSED to be restoring it.

The only thing more I could ask for would be sharper borders. That's probably not realistic given the vastness of space... I just like sharp borders. Fuzziness hurts my eyes.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

Okay, here's one of the views of my parametric map of the galaxy, roughly the same point of view as AndrewR's.

*Grumbles that no one said anything when he posted his four wonderful mathematically-created maps from different points of view when he posted them a while back*

Anyway, this gives the proper size of the Krenim Imperium (orange) compared to the galaxy.

WARNING: This map may contain spoilers through the end of Voyager's Season 5.

Parametric Map: Alpha/Beta Quadrant POV

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Prays that come Monday, the Malon's appearance soooo far away shall be explained*

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This map is very interesting. The map I find of the greatest interest is the one that is being generated now. Three new planets around U. Andromedae? WOW! 20 years from now, the first reflected images of a planet outside our solar system. SPECTACULAR!
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps