Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Galaxy Map (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galaxy Map
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou, for all your kind words

Kren, I DO like your map - and yes, Krenim space should be WAY bigger - so I'll fix that one up -

and was Voyager passing smack bang through the middle of krenim space or on the outside edge? - it'll help in placing it - I think I'll have to go pull out YOH.

OK, reguarding past maps - I'm posting here a side view (this one is looking out from the centre of the galaxy - beyond ferengi space out to the galactic edge - the Federation is obscuring the Gorn) and here a top view (you'll have to turn this map if you want the quadrants perpendicular - you know what I mean)

now these are older maps - both of the alpha/beta quadrant - I did them on a 3d program I had access to at the time - but not for long - I'd love to have one now to do some more 3d work - it was basically an attempt to translate the map work to a 3d setting.

I know How you feel about the Rom/Klingon boarders - this 3d version - you may like a bit more - since they are apart from being side by side - above and below one another.

also - I'd like to have a bit more size on the Ferengi/Breen etc. but I couldn't tweek the picture - cause I didn't have the program long...

but the breen would be closer in too - not out there so far...

but - this is primarily a first attempt from a while back at a 3d map - and also - First of Two - whoes eyes hurt :P

Andrew

Remember comments are always welcome *grin*

------------------
The house is falling down, 'cause of my loose tounge.

[This message was edited by AndrewR on April 23, 1999.]

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager was passing along the edge of Krenim space.

------------------
Garak: Interesting. You saved the day by destroying the world.
Bashir: I bet they didn't teach you that in the Obsidian Order.

-Deep Space Nine, "Our Man Bashir."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As regards the Morgana Quadrant, remember that it was a while before the 'four Quadrants containing lots of Sectors' concept got established. the terms were in fact completely interchangeable throughout TOS. So the Morgana quadrant could have been an old name, a holdover that since it applied to a specific region of space, has survived. I mean, consider the Typhon Expanse - expanse of what? But the name remains.
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*drools even though I don't agree with the Romulan and Klingon placement*

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*agrees with TFO on that Morgana point*

I for one don't like the size of the Federation relative to the others in Andrew's Map. In order for the Federation to be easily transverable, it's gotta be a lot like an octopus, with the arm-tip to arm-tip distance at 8000ly but the core fairly small.

As for the Rom/Klingon thing... isn't is possible they're prety much stacked on top of one another? This sould explain how both of them share a border with the Cardies and the Federation.

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my thread "Galactic Map", I provide canonical evidence of a Romulan-Cardassian border.
IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question. WHY is the Federation nearly 4x bigger then anything else on the map? Haven't the Klingons and Romulans been in space longer then the Federation? Shouldn't they have expanded more?

Wait, thought of another question. How the heck did Prometheus get over to where the large dots are on the map?! (the communications grid)

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I agree with the octopus idea - thats why the first map is fuzzy - but remember the solid map (my earlier attempts at 3d maps - were one off - untouchupable maps - It was just to give you a 'clearer' idea of the top map

about the Romulans and the Cardassians sharing a boarder - I find this iffy

The Romulans and the Federation is VERY CLOSE TOGETHER - look at 'past tense' look at the Romulan wars, first contact was with Romulans before Klingons - first contact with the Cardassians was not long ago - definately after TOS, about 20 years ago...

I feel there is a LOT of 'neutral' territory between powers -

The federation has a lot of space - because it is a collective of races and their 'space' so they could theoretically fill in the 'neutral' space once they join the federation - cause no one could say otherwise...

but with the Romulans and Klingons - even though they might have been in space longer - they both and the cardassians - are made up of - so it seems fewer races than the federation - and theoretically devote a HEAP more amount of their population to the military etc.

I don't agree with the Romulan Cardassian boarder - i.e. that reference to In the Pale - i think - where the Dominion go in and out of Romulan territory without problems - It is easy to think that the Dominion is spread out through out neutral space between say the Bajorans Federation Klingons and Romulans - but the Klingons HAVE to be closer to the Bajor system than Romulas - because of the short travelling times we have witnessed in DS9 - and the ability to annex parts of Cardassia - and keep a hold of them - this wouldn't be easy if they were surrounded or with out supply lines

see: "House of Quark"
and "The Way of the Warrior"

the Romulans - have been out of the war for quite a while - they are closer to Earth and the Rigel systems - which we know - with Earth is a fair way away by warp

the Klingons AREN'T close - but their not as far as the Romulans...

but I'm repeating myself

also remember - the Klingons and the Federation STRADDLE the Alpha Beta quadrants where as the Romulans are basically in the Beta Quadrants

also about those hirogen dots - the capture was taken when the grid was forming - there were more dots and circles to appear

also I had to push the Fed etc up and the Kazon down etc. cause the whole circular grid wasn't visible.

------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an excellent map, Andrew. But it does not account for the fact that parts of some species space may be above or beneath parts of others.

*Really wishes they could display in 3d*.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it Palermo?

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Daryus - check my links to two (out of several) pics - in this same thread - they are from a while back - it is my first attempt at a 3d map ----

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps