Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » A question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A question
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the chances of Riker being offered the Federation's flagship, USS Enterprise-E, as his first command?
I mean if he DOES get offered the Enterprise as his first command, I'll kill myself. I think that NO officer should be given a flagship as his/her first command NO matter how "GOOD" or "experienced" he/she is!!!

------------------
The Doctor: "...with my heart, my experiences, and my soul..."
Tincoo (sp): "...I have duplicated that too..."

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For one thing, we don't know that the Enterprise E is the flagship. Of course, we also don't really know what flagship means in a Starfleet context. Having said that, the Enterprise is a symbol, so who commands her is probably a political decision of some importance. But I fail to see any real reason Riker wouldn't be up for consideration.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Riker has already passed down at least three other oppertunities at a command of his own. He must be good if he get's an offer about every 3 years...

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget, though, that Riker has already commanded the flagship. In "Best of Both Worlds, Part II," he was given a field commission to captain and given the Enterprise-D.

Now you might say that he was only given the Enterprise because he was the only one available. Maybe. In "Parallels," there were A LOT of other universes existing where Riker stayed on as captain of the Enterprise.

I also think it might count for something that he is / was the first officer of the flagship.

------------------
694 consecutive rejections by women since January 1993.

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, there are a lot of talented people in starfleet especially after the war with the dominion. Maybe they would be offered the job and lets not forget in a system such as the federation there will be decisions made not on merit but on politics etc.

Unless of course captain picard gives his first officer his support for the job when he retires/promoted.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got some very good points there Siegfried!

Riker had the Enterprise in a surprising lot of parallel universes.

Also I too think that being 'Number One' on both the Enterprise D and E will count.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a Naval standpoint, I am told that Riker wouldn't even be in uniform anymore. Noone turns down a command. Certainly not four times. Now I grant, there seems to be a little more leeway in accepting or declining assignments in Starfleet than there is in the present day Military.

That being said, if Stewart decides to quit, we will see Riker in the captain's chair of the Ent. E.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related Thread: http://flare.solareclipse.net/Forum6/HTML/000347.html

The only reason Riker will be in command of the Ent-E is because the producers wanted it.

In Starfleet terms, Picard's reccomendation can increase his chances of getting command of the Ent-E are pretty good. Sulu probably got the command of the Excelsior (then the Fed's best ship) due to strong backing from Captains Kirk and Spock.

However, the Feds would want a more seasoned captain to run the Ent-E. Note that Riker was offered command of smaller ships like the Melbourne, which was an Excelsior, now a much smaller ship compared to the rest of the fleet. Starfleet would continue to offer Riker these kinds of command, rather than give him the Ent-E.......

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited May 10, 2000).]

Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Los. It would be illogical to offer such a large and advanced ship to an officer who turned down 3 too many offers, for whatever reasons.
It does not matter how experienced you are as a COMMANDER. It also does not matter how many times you've been offered a command. If you have not have a solid command for a relative long period of time, you're not considered a "season" officer to be captain.
By giving the egocentric Riker the Enterprise, they, obviously, consider Riker to be a BETTER captain Janeway, DeSoto, and a bunch of other older, more experienced captains.

------------------
The Doctor: "...with my heart, my experiences, and my soul..."
Tincoo (sp): "...I have duplicated that too..."

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Janeway, she was in command of the Billings (I think) before taking Voyager which is considered one of the most advanced ships in Starfleet. This also goes to say a captain will command a smaller, less advanced ship before getting something like Voyager or Enterprise-E.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"there are a lot of talented people in starfleet especially after the war with the dominion."

Actually, I'm none too sure about this part. Did the War raise the number of talented individuals in Starfleet, or seriously diminish it? After all, one would expect that the most talented commanders would be out there on the front lines frequently leading the assaults into the most dangerous space.

That said, I suppose the argument could be made that only the craftiest, most brilliant folks SURVIVED those days on the front line... but there wouldn't be all that many of those, I would think.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the producers have frequently made Riker the CO of the Enterprise-D in parallel universes and will probably give him the E-E if Picard leaves, this would be very unlikely in real Starfleet. I think promotion to captain would almost necessarily mean that Riker would have to change the ship. This is how it goes in present-day companies and I think in the military too. You are not promoted to the head of your previous department/ship.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In present day Navy, CO's rotate ships regularly. The goal is to get command of a bigger and better ship. This is unlike the Starfleet system of seemingly "lifetime membership", at least for captains with their own shows.

Realistically, Riker (assuming anyone ever offers him a command again) would be offered another smaller ship. Think about this. When Wesley (ick) left for the Academy, Geordi said that POicard would request him if he was still in command of the Enterprise. Surely Riker would've requested him too if he was promoted to Capt of the ship. Geordi likely considered it a possibility that outside resources might be brought in if Picard left or was promoted.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although at the time when Riker was offered the Melbourne, it was a Nebula-class

Now, I'd say there's a huge difference between the two in terms of prestige. The Excelsior's seem to be the backbone of the fleet. The Nebula's would have a lot more prestige, since they share so much with the then-brand new Glaxy class. Being offered a Nebula would seem to be only one step away from being offered a Galaxy.

The Excelsior-class OTOH...pah. My nan could command one of them.

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ya. I saw the USS Toothless do a fly by in an episode. I believe your nan was knitting at the time. Making you one of those oh so cute turtle neck pull-overs.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps