Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Captain Scott (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Captain Scott
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how old captain Scott, not scotty the engineer, was when she was promoted to captain? I know that she is THE youngest officer to ever make captain, but I don't know when that was.
Please don't laugh at me but I have just noticed that Picard was only 28 when he got promoted to captain and offered the Stargazer

------------------
Not only is silence a beautiful noise, it is also the most unavoidable and loudest noise in the universe...

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They didn't say.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it even specified if Scott was the youngest to receive four pips in her collar, or if she was the youngest to be appointed as the captain of a starship?

Perhaps she became the captain of a starship while holding a rank of Ensign in her youth, and got the promotion to Captain rank later on? In any case, one would think she became captain (in either sense) at 21 at the earliest, since the Academy is supposed to last 4 years (or more) for command-liners and entry age is 17 (for humans at least, and Scott seemed to be one) - and even Picard, who got the four pips at 28, graduated at Ensign rank, no higher (even if Kirk may have graduated a Lieutenant).

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Tryla Scott is the child of Scotty and Uhura!?! Did they ever "go all the way"?? There were some feelings evident in "The Final Frontier" !?!

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This brings up the problems with Picards past again. I think he was promoted directly from Lt. to Capt. of the Stargazer. Apparently, though, he was serving as the first officer in additon to whatever else he was doing aboard the Stargazer. Riker commented once that Picard had been a first officer himself. It's possible that there were personel shortages at that time and that's why Picard advanced so quickly.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to dispute that, Aban. What likely happened was when the captain of the Stargazer was killed and Picard took command, they probably put him under consideration for command rather than promote him directly. He probably got promoted to Lt. Cmdr after that incident, and would probably be promoted to Captain a year later........

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been awhile since I've seen "Tapestry", but I could've sworn Q said that he'd been given the command of the Stargazer for saving the ship after the captain was killed.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewR: Great Idea! I'd like to think that Scotty and Uhura were "doing the nasty" someplace on the old Enterprise (phaser control room or battle bridge?). Kirk shouldn't have gotten all the action. Unfortunately, Capt. Scott's a bit too young to be their daughter. Maybe a granddaughter.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing Picard was still a Lt. when he commanded the Stargazer. It's a small ship and considering the events he was given command after the incident, but not promoted in rank.

Scott was the youngest Capt.

------------------
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the
obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
George Orwell

Saboc
Ex-Member

Does anyone know how old Kirk was, when he got promoted to captain?
Picard was 28. Sulu was in his late 30's. Sisko was in his mid 30's. Janeway, I would guess in her early 30's.

------------------
Not only is silence a beautiful noise, it is also the most unavoidable and loudest noise in the universe...

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is a lot of confusion here and some bad information.

Where do the ages of Kirk, Picard, and Sulu come from?

Remember Riker was the real driven guy and he wanted to make Capt. by 35!! I can guess from that that 28 for Picard as Capt. rank is not a canon fact. If I am correct the only things we know for that Scott was stated as the fastest officer to reach Capt. and that Riker was driven to make Capt. by 35.

------------------
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the
obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
George Orwell

Saboc
Ex-Member

I got their ages from various episodes and the ST Enceclopedia(sp. And besides, just because Riker wants to make to captain at age 35, it does not mean anything. We shouldn't use the egocentric Riker as a standard for anything. And besides, he was offered a promotion before he was 35, once or twice, dont' remember.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sulu was only in his late 30s when he got Captaincy of the Excelsior? Is this between STV and VI, or going by the idea that he actually got captaincy just before ST II but was demoted after the whole stealing teh Enterprise thing?

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the encyclopedia, Sulu got command of the Excelsior in 2290, which would make him 53 at the time. I don't think he was promoted to captain much before that.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riker was apparently referring to the normal path to captaincy when speaking of the age of 35 as his goal. He couldn't count on having his captain killed in a crisis that would make Riker the replacement. And he was speaking *TO* his captain at the time, so voicing out the desire for such an event would have been rather nasty...

Then again, Paul Rice studied with Riker and was a captain by rank and position in 2364. If he was the same age as Riker (entered Academy at 18), wouldn't he be just 29 then? Riker turned down the command of the ship that eventually went to Rice - so he seemed to abanadon a chance at captaincy far before 35.

Perhaps Riker was speaking of getting to be the captain of a tall ship like the Enterprise, and not a leaking scow like the light cruiser Drake?

And perhaps Rice became captain of the small Drake at the rank of Lt.Cmrd, and only made Captain at 29 because of some unexpected heroics?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps