Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Captain Scott (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Captain Scott
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Wesley 15 during "Coming of Age"?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, remember we've seen people graduate from the Academy as lieutenants. Saavik and Kirk were both lieutenants when they graduated, I believe. So this could also shorten the time to receiving captaincy.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wesley was fifteen, and some of the other testees inquire about his age -- apparently, he's too young to attend Starfleet Academy, but he'll meet the age requirements because his 16th birthday is only a few months away.

Also, Kim could've failed his first few entrance exams, and been admitted late. Or chosen not to try as soon as he could have.

I don't think we know for sure that Kirk was a lieutenant when he graduated. Frankly, neither do we know that Saavik is actually graduating from SA. I find it more reasonable to assume that Saavik graduated from the Academy, served a tour on a ship, and had earned lieutenant's rank while completing Command School -- a more advanced series of courses for officers thought to be on the command track.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible that she took aditional schooling, but I don't think officers go to command school until they're up for command of a ship.

Man, this is an old thread...

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. Since the First, Second, or even Third or Fourth officers can conceivably be placed in the position of command of a starship at any time, they would need the teachings of command school. I would imagine Command School is required for any officer who wishes to be in the Chain of Command on a starship. For example, on the Enterprise-D, Riker, Data, Yar, LaForge, and Worf must've taken the Command School course ...

Riker's pretty obvious. He's the XO, and he'd already been offered his own command prior to EaF.

Data's obvious too. The Enterprise is presumeable his second assignment as second officer (he identifies himself as being a Lt. Commander to Lore for 10 years prior to the episode DataLore, so it's reasonable to assume he was 2nd officer of his assignment before), so he would need to have completed Command School as well. If anything were to happen to Picard or Riker, he'd be the new Executive Officer.

Yar was the Third Officer while she was alive. Likewise, she would need to have completed the Command School to be in that position.

We saw both Worf and LaForge take command of the ship (Worf of the saucer in EaF, LaForge of the whole ship and then the stardrive in Arsenal of Freedom), so they must also have taken the Command Course. From Arsenal of Freedom, we can see that LaForge was the Fourth Officer and Worf the Fifth Officer (just by way that Picard assigned LaForge to command, not Worf).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reference I remember hearing to Command school in Star Trek, is Janeway's mention of it early on in the series ("Sometimes you just have to punch it"). They way she said it, it made me think that it was more for someone who is expected to be taking command of a starship soon. I have no doubt that Riker has taken this course, though.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps