Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Analysis of Dominionese (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Analysis of Dominionese
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dug up "Statistical Probabilities" (DS9) and listened to the scene where we hear Weyoun's "Dominionese." He says (here I'm using the vowel system of most Italic European languages), "Hizhano mano hova, bali zhen korada sento." This corresponds to the English sentence, "On the balance, we are giving up more than you."

"Hizhano mano hova" seems to be the phrase translated to "on the balance." The latter isn't commonly found in English; most people just say "in the end," or "all in all." I'm guessing the universal translator chose the longer phrase because the Dominionese phrase is about that length. Unfortunately, since the English translation is colloquial, we can't really do further analysis.

When Weyoun says the next part of the sentence, he uses some helpful hand gestures. It goes, "bali" (points to himself), "zhen korada," and then "sento" (pointing to whomever he's negotiating with). Now, the translation is, "we are giving up more than you," but Jack makes a big deal about how the original sentence uses the "passive voice transitive." Sentences using the passive voice have the receiver of the action as the subject ("I hit the ball" is active, whereas "the ball was hit by me" is passive). Transitive sentences have an object as well as a subject, which I suppose would be the noun in the by-construction in English. So, a more accurate rendering of the sentence in English must be "more would be given up by us than you." Or, due to the order according to the gestures, "by us more would be given up than you." So, the correspondence must be, "bali" means "by us," "zhen" probably means "more," "korada" means "would be given up" (assuming the conditional is preserved, and it should be), and "sento" is "than you."

Breaking it down further, "korada" seems to be a coherent, inflected word, since Weyoun doesn't seem to say the syllables as separate words. From this, I'm assuming that Dominionese is largely inflecting, although this is just an assumption. "Bali" might be two words, but going with the inflectional model, it would be "us," in either nominative or accusative case, or maybe some special case. "Sento" is thus "you" in the comparative case.

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"Have you heard Alanis Morisette trying to play the harmonica? She doesn't know how to play the harmonica. Well guess what, Alanis, I INVENTED the 'don't-know-how-to-play-harmonica-harmonica-solo.'" - John Flansburgh

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited June 07, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of sentence is "You have way too much time on your hands "? Passive Transitive? Whatever?

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited June 07, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a standard active sentence. NYAH! :P

------------------
"Trekkies like to claim that Star Trek is 'hard science fiction'...in some extreme cases, they even go so far as to claim that it's all technologically feasible! Do they say this because they've analyzed the events of Star Trek for scientific accuracy? Not a chance - most of them don't know a coulomb from a joule, or the difference between Young's Modulus and Dave's burger special." - Mike Wong

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if we look at it word by word, we may not get to far because one word has many forms. Like the verb to be can take many forms such as "was", "is", "were", "am", etc. And we also have to think that this was just a bunch of writers coming up with a foregin sounding sentence just to make it sound good on tv. So any analysis you make is just a waste of time.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole show is something made up by writers. Any discussion we have of it on any of these boards is a waste of time. But, then, if you didn't have time to waste, you wouldn't be here, would you? :-)

------------------
"I know the whole bible! The New and Used Testaments!"
-Thurgood Stubbs, The PJs

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far trying to make an analysis of a language the only one you can really do is Klingon since Marc Okrand went to a great lenghts to make it alien but also close to a real language. Whatever Weyoun says is just a bunch of words made up by the writers.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although if we show the Trek PTB that we are watching such little details, they might just try to keep some sort of coherence...

HA!

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I think the first word might be Izjari, he sort of rolls his r...

------------------

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited June 08, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Hobbes: Go spoil someone else's fun. :P

I'm fairly certain there's no r in the first word...

------------------
"Trekkies like to claim that Star Trek is 'hard science fiction'...in some extreme cases, they even go so far as to claim that it's all technologically feasible! Do they say this because they've analyzed the events of Star Trek for scientific accuracy? Not a chance - most of them don't know a coulomb from a joule, or the difference between Young's Modulus and Dave's burger special." - Mike Wong

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was getting at the whole language thing. The only 'real' language that was ever used was Klingonese. All other ones are just what sounds good at the time.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fructose: Um... Yes. So?

Besides, even Klingon wasn't consistent. Okrand may have made a dictionary for it, but the writers didn't use it always. If they just needed a single word to toss in, they'd make something up if they didn't feel like looking it up.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited June 09, 2000).]

Fructose
Member # 309

I meant analyze something worth analyzing. One sentence of a language doesn't provide anything close to a glimpse of what a whole language is like. Also, english is a language and can you say it's consistent?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, define "consistent."

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

fructose: Would it help if we called it an "analysis of the single known example sentence of Dominionese"?

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Ahhh Frank, but how else would he make that "gutteral" noise at the end of the first "word" with out it being too harsh... a slight, one roll "r" would work.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps