Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Analysis of Dominionese (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Analysis of Dominionese
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if I hear a gutteral noise...there does seem to be a nasal, though...

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"Trekkies like to claim that Star Trek is 'hard science fiction'...in some extreme cases, they even go so far as to claim that it's all technologically feasible! Do they say this because they've analyzed the events of Star Trek for scientific accuracy? Not a chance - most of them don't know a coulomb from a joule, or the difference between Young's Modulus and Dave's burger special." - Mike Wong

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I say consistent I mean where ever you go, every word means the exacy same thing and is used exactly the same everywhere. And to me this analysis is like looking at a nail and trying to determine what the building looks like that it came from. I'm not harping on you guys, it's just that what you picked doesn't exactly lend itself to analysis.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the nail has green paint on its head, maybe the building is painted green! See?

------------------
"Trekkies like to claim that Star Trek is 'hard science fiction'...in some extreme cases, they even go so far as to claim that it's all technologically feasible! Do they say this because they've analyzed the events of Star Trek for scientific accuracy? Not a chance - most of them don't know a coulomb from a joule, or the difference between Young's Modulus and Dave's burger special." - Mike Wong

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited June 10, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fructose: No-one is attempting to reconstruct the entirety of the Dominion language from this. It's just an analysis of what each word in this sentence probably means.

------------------
"I know the whole bible! The New and Used Testaments!"
-Thurgood Stubbs, The PJs

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, have a blast. Didn't mean to spoil the fun.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the sentence as rendered in the script:

WEYOUN
Eee-ja maa'na hoo'va-baa'li
jen'ku'rada sen'to.

Boris

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Wow. Thanks. That seems to be phonetic, unfortunately, with the triple e's at the beginning and so on.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*listens to the audio again* There's definitely an extra syllable between the first two words there. An 'n' plus a vowel...

------------------
"Are you alright? You sure? 'Cause you just went through a wall."
-Detective Drycoff, Gone in 60 Seconds

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actor seems to have forgotten that only "maa'na" is supposed to have a na at the end, and not "Eee'ja" also. Looks like a case of unconscious rhyming which the director didn't want to correct (and why should he?).

We could explain this by postulating that whenever Eeeja is followed by a word that ends on na, the pronounciation is changed to Eee'ja'na. Sorta like the French "nous" which is usually pronounced without the "s" -> "noo", but not when the following word starts with a vowel (as in nous allons, where nous sounds like "noose").

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 12, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a bit off topic, but did anyone else find it odd that Weyoun, genetically engineered to be the perfect diplomat, would not also be designed to be a natural linguist? I would think that being able to converse with your counterpart in their own language would give you tremendous advantages.

------------------
"Twentieth century go and sleep.
Really deep. We won't blink
Your eyes are burning holes through me.
I'm not scared I'm outta here.
I'm not scared. I'm outta here.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Please?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad eyes, good ears, no aesthetics, & no flair for linguistics. Heh...

Maybe everything Weyoun would say in English without the translator would be heavily tainted by his accent & thei render him idiotic-sounding. Y'know...kinda like people from Arkansas going to Belgium & asking where "oon piss-wahr" is.

Heh...the Vorta: "Redneck trash of the Dominion!!"

Oh, yeah: they sure as hell like their apostrophic glottal stops. Wonder if that's the Founders' native tongue or some kind of "Dominion Esperanto" they devised in case someone noticed the language similarities to the "changleings of lore"....

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Founders have a native spoken language. Why would they?

And that situation, Shik, is sort of what I'm talking about. Surely the Dominion has the expertise to make the Vorta perfect polyglots?

------------------
"Twentieth century go and sleep.
Really deep. We won't blink
Your eyes are burning holes through me.
I'm not scared I'm outta here.
I'm not scared. I'm outta here.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Please?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Boris, it's more like "nooz" in "nous allons"

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps