Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some questions about movie-uniforms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some questions about movie-uniforms
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In ST2 Saavik wears a red-white-red sleeve band. http://www.geocities.com/fitz8472/uniforms/Saavik1.jpg
This means that she is a "command-cadet".

Then there is a man with a red-orange-red sleeve band. http://www.geocities.com/fitz8472/uniforms/Ensign.jpg
This means that he is an "engineering-cadet". Ok, this is clear.

But in ST3 Saavik wears a white-grey-white sleeve band. http://www.geocities.com/fitz8472/uniforms/Saavik2.jpg
So what does this mean?

And then there are some officers, who wear a coloured sleeve band and a coloured shoulder strap, eg

an Andorian Admiral from ST4 with white-red-white http://www.geocities.com/fitz8472/uniforms/Adm_red.jpg

a human Admiral from ST4 with white-grey-white http://www.geocities.com/fitz8472/uniforms/Adm_grey.jpg

an Alien-Lieutenan Commander from ST4 with white-orange-white http://www.geocities.com/fitz8472/uniforms/Lc_yello.jpg | http://www.geocities.com/fitz8472/uniforms/Lc_yellow.jpg

I think there was an felinoid Admiral with "white-orange-white" in ST4 (unfortunately I couldn't find a pic from him).

What does this mean?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 05, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The change in Saavik's uni colors could simply mean that she has graduated and is now an officer as opposed to a cadet. There was enough time between 2 and 3 for this to have happened. I think the gold/orange color denotes engineering, and the alien Lt. Commander was wearing gold.

That's all I've got.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course there's Valeris's uniform from ST6 with a red undershirt and a white (IIRC) shoulder band.

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Stith, Titan A.E.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shoulder strap was grey and she wears a Lt. Cmdr. pin, alltough every one called Lieutenant.

IMHO this difference between undershirt and shoulder strap was an error of the costume department. I've read that originally Lt. Cmdr. Saavik was intended to play Valeris' role, but later the script was changed. I think Valeris was a trainee with rank of Lt or Lt JG (like Saavik in ST2). So she wears the correct red undershirt but Saavik's uniform-jacket with the wrong pin and the wrong colour.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 06, 2000).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Bar = Lieutenant.
2 Bars = Commander.
3 Bars = Captain.

From what I've been able to tell. The 2 Triangles is LT.JG I guess. I've never been sure of the movie ranks.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Ensign >
Lt. JG >--<
Lt. >-<
Lt. Cmdr. >|< (1 bar)
Cmdr. >| |< (2 bars)
Capt. ->| | |<- (3 bars)

Sorry, but I haven't found a homepage, which has the correct movie rank pin-system. All sites offer the wrong Okuda-System from E2. You can find the right in the E3 (but the LC-Pin is wrong in the E3).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 06, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galen once did a site with the right system, but it's now around anymore.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Maybe he has at least the pics of the pins, but I don't have his e-mail-address to ask him.

------------------

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, that web page was hosted by AOL and when I gave them the boot, the web page went too. I still have the pics though. I was pleased to see that Okuda fixed many of the ranks in the 3rd edition of the encyclopedia. They now look like what I came up with

------------------
Hey fella, I bet you're still livin' in your parents' cellar
Downloadin' pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar
And postin "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er
I should do the world a favor and cap you like Old Yeller
You're just about as useless as jpegs to Helen Keller

Savar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you thought the Motion Picture uniforms were confusing.... Boy, can a costume department screw up continuity or what? Here are my thoughts on the "stripe" phenomena.

The only time (almost) that you see these is at Starfleet Command. Perhaps this is a special device used to signify Starfleet Command personnel. We know that all Admirals wear white collars and straps so perhaps the diagonal stripe is used to indicate the deparment within Starfleet Command that the wearer is attached to. For example, if these uniforms had been used for the first movie, Kirk would have had a diagonal stripe indicating he was Chief of Starfleet Operations.

The Saavik thing from ST-III is puzzling unless perhaps she was detached from Starfleet Command to observe or assist with the Genesis Project. Her shoulder strap has no stripe, but perhaps this was a later addition.

I don't recall any of the brass gathered around the table during the briefing in Undiscovered Country having diagonal stripes. Maybe this practice has been abandoned.

I think your assumptions regarding Valeris' uniform are absolutely correct. The rank pin, shirt, and strap simply cannot be reconciled so somebody messed up somewhere.

I have always considered the costuming in Star Trek to be a pretty cool part of the show and the Movie II-VI uniforms by Robert Fletcher are the most attractive, but I am a little bit disappointed by the failure to create an appropriate dress uniform. I mean, they created all sorts of alternate designs; the field jacket, the fatigue jacket, vests of all kinds. Where are the dress uniforms?

IP: Logged
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Thanks, but now I know what it means:

Division chiefs have several options for their uniforms:

• They can (as did McCoy and
    Scotty in ST2) wear just the division color.
  • They can wear white, as command
    officers of their divisions.
  • Or they can wear white with a slash the color
    of the division they head.

Ideally, Saavik should have worn the slash in both places (shoulder strap & sleeve band), but it appears that the Wardrobe Department missed one. The gray-slash-on-white denoted that she was Chief Science Officer.

------------------

Savar
Ex-Member

Interesting.... Where did you get the info, may I ask?
It makes sense that division chiefs would wear the stripes on a white strap but this is not uniformly applied, and like I said before, we really only see this kind of thing on uniforms worn by people at Starfleet Command.

Except for Valeris and Saavik, I can't remember seeing any officer on a starship having a white strap with a stripe.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
we really only see this kind of thing on uniforms worn by people at Starfleet Command.

Nope, a Lt. Cmdr at Starfleet Emercency Operations wears it too.

Alex Rosenzweig gave me the information. He has Bob Fletcher's notes.

------------------

Savar
Ex-Member

Do you mean the alien working at the console next to the President in The Voyage Home? I was rather under the impression that the location was Starfleet Command in San Francisco, on Earth. The Bird of Prey was seen through the windows before it zoomed under the bridge and crashed in the bay.

I only have bits and pieces of Robert Fletcher's notes. Do you know were I might obtain a full copy? Failing that, if you could relay the info that was shared with you, I would be eternally grateful.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Do you mean the alien working at the console next to the President in The Voyage Home?

Yes.

quote:
Do you know were I might obtain a full copy?

Unfortunately no.

quote:
Failing that, if you could relay the info that was shared with you, I would be eternally grateful.

Do you want to know something special?

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps