Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Blackholes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Blackholes
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been so long since I've had the time to watch Trek and keep up with it these past two years of school. Would someone care to let me know the answer I thought up at work today while talking physics with some fellow employees? Have there been any instances of balckholes being given more than mere passing-mention in Trek? Grnated, there's not but so much you can make them do for a plotline, but I was wondering if they've ever played any role in any episodes. Answers of any kind would be appreciated! Thanks!

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only instance I can think of is only a maybe. The second ep of Voyager's first season dealt with the ship getting caught in a quantum singularity, which I think is the same thing as a black hole. It was anything but black though.

I believe it was theorized in ST:TMP that V'ger fell into a black hole. And the Romulans use a contained black hole as a power source.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tomorrow Is Yesterday." The Enterprise finds herself in orbit of Earth ca. 1968 after having an encounter with an uncharted "black star" & being slung back in time & across space.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an interesting portrayal of a black hole in the book "Federation" as well...

------------------
Stealing from one author is called plagarism.
Stealing from many is called research.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Dominion War books, the Dominion puts POWs on freighters to mine a special mineral from black holes.

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To...what? "Attention, prisoners. You have recieved your turnips. Begin harvesting blood!"

Anyway, black holes are a semi-common feature. As mentioned, we've got TOS's "black star", which was a pretty good guess, considering it predates the theoretical objects final name of black hole by a bit.

Romulan vessels are powered by micro-black holes, as postulated by Stephen Hawking. (Well, maybe not exactly as postulated, but that's where the general idea comes from.)

One thing that isn't seen too often is a plain old ordinary black hole. Voyager attempted to, but got the physics of the thing so horribly wrong that it's best not to think about it.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't believe they ever actually used the term "black hole" anywhere in Paralax. Just "type four quantum singularity". Would a singularity NESECARILY have to be at the bottom of a black hole? All it really is is a place where the laws of physics no longer apply...

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...wahey?

Kip Thorne describes a singularity as "a region of spacetime where spacetime curvature becomes so great that the general relativistic laws break down and the laws of quantum gravity take over".

A black hole is merely the cloak a singularity wears over its shoulders.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought wormholes *where* black holes, but I'm probably wrong

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: In the books, the Dominion was constructing a verteron collider to create an artificial wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant. The mouth of the collider needed to be made out of corzanium, an ultra-light, ultra-strong element found only in black holes. The prisoners had to quantum-step the stuff out of the black holes. And it was rather dangerous work so that's why the POWs were doing it.

------------------
-Preed, Titan A.E.

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited July 18, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An element found only in black holes? Oy... That's about as believeable as "Spock's Brain"...

A wormhole isn't quite a black hole. A balck hole is a singularity where things go in and don't come back out. A wormhole is a singularity where things go in and come back out somewhere else. But they are both quantum singularities.

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there a blackhole mentioned in one of the animated series episodes? I think it was the one with Captain Robert April?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...in a way, you could think of a black hole as a mass of neutrons, since it has no protons at all, you could consider it a new element...

------------------
1957: The space age begins when the first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, is placed in orbit by the Soviet Union on October 4. Our German rocket scientists get very
annoyed with their German rocket scientists. � Outpost

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Ah yes... That one. When the Enterprise went through the black hole, everything was backwards. Space was white and everything. The ships went backwards, old people were babies, etc. Turns out, this was just an alternate reality created by the Wanderers Who Play (IIRC).

------------------
-Preed, Titan A.E.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Counter-Clock Incident.

*Waves a Dogbertlike paw*
Bah.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps