Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Elite Force, what do you expect? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Elite Force, what do you expect?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simon might have DSL when he moves this fall.

If he moves this fall.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be that surprised if the writers at Voyager adapt Elite Force as an episode. But then again, I doubt that they will.

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But don't cable modems get slower as more users log onto them? Don't all the users share the same line? Whats the difference between cable and DSL?

------------------
There's a lady who knows, all that glitters is gold...and she's buying a stairway to heaven. -Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I don't know the techinical specifics of it...But I've had experience with ADSL and cable.

DSL stands for Digital subscriber line. It basically works at a higher frequency over normal phone lines. Since the frequency is higher, you can pump more information than a normal modem, plus you can still use your normal phone.

Cable just uses your TV cable line to pump data.

Both types of modems hook up to your computer through a network card, or into your network hub if you wish.

In practise, both are pretty much equivalent. (Here at least) There are small differences, ADSL gets you better pings, cable has a much higher upload speed than ADSL, security for cable is lower, etc.

But on the whole, both are a lot superior than normal phone modems. And if you're worried about the cost, giving up cable TV will roughly cover the cost of ADSL

Sidewinder: Yes, since cable TV was originally designed just to pump out a few hundred channels out, but not to receive anything back "in". The new architecture for cable modems does slow down drastically as one "hub" is shared.
The "equivalent" problem for ADSL is that the lines only work within a 2km or so radius of the "hub", so many people get left out.

------------------
1957: The space age begins when the first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, is placed in orbit by the Soviet Union on October 4. Our German rocket scientists get very
annoyed with their German rocket scientists. � Outpost

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited July 21, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultimately, using cable for Internet access is a major kludge anyway, and I don't think we'll see it being used beyond the next couple of years.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank is absolutely right." - Laz Rojas

Amadeus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I downloaded the demo overnight with a 28.8 connection, so its definitely possible. And I must say it is definitely worth it. They have created a very nice replica of voyager, including engineering. The multi is just like quake, so now its even better because I can set the bots to janeway and kill her over and over again. I can play it on the highest difficulty now.

I have even started a clan, so I suppose my opinion of the game is quite high. http://crews.eliteforce.net/section42

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps