Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » James Dixon's Fandom Chronology V13 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: James Dixon's Fandom Chronology V13
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is it? Each annual update is released in the beginning of July, but JD's site still has the old V12 to offer. Anyone has answers?
(Normally, I would drop an e-mail, but unfortunately, his site does not mention an e-mail adress.)

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited August 08, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aargh! I thought you were posting it!

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, what are you talking about? Is this actually Star Trek Related, cuz I've never heard about this book.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a giant online document thingie.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I love you all. Now shut up. Danke." - Simon Sizer

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Which is viewed by canon-philes like me as utter gobshite, but worshipped by others (don't ask me why)

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dixon's Database is a massive thing that includes a chronology (about 1 MB, zipped) and as well as lists of planets and ships and other things. The trouble for us canon-nazis is that he's included anything Star Trek, including movies and TV episodes (TAS too, I think), Tech Manuals, novels, gaming systems, some fan-produced works, and maybe even comics for all I know. If you're not completely familiar with the sources, you're left wondering what comes from where. It's interesting to look at for the obsessive completeness of it. Because this was started back in the 1970s, I'm sure Dixon doesn't subscribe to the recent TNG-derived timeline and is probably pissed at Okuda for screwing things up.

The URL I have for it is http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Crater/2077/scifi.htm

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He (and his throngs) militantly hate Okuda, actually. I remember reading a multi-page discourse about how he should rot in hell for not integrating FASA into canon.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a canon-nazi too... but I love JD's Chronology. It is for me the perfect guide to fandom publications. The fanfic universe isn't so bad... at least not utter sh*t, as some of you might believe.
BTW, all entries have source listings, so it's not very hard to determine what comes from where. But there's no planet list or ship list.

------------------

ALPHA CENTAURI

Human Class - Starfleet registry NCC-75715
Launched stardate 8311.23 - Parental Biology Yards
United Federation of Planets

"A dedication motto? What about it?" - Alpha Centauri

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand you guys. You can't see the trees because of the woods. Dixon also documents every canon event in Trek-history, making the document an accurate summary of all important things that has taken place in the Trek-universe.
Such a text is very appreciated, especially to a newly initiated Trekker, (like myself eight years ago). It puts matters in perspective. You should check it out, Tahna.

I don't think he can incorporate info from ALL the Trek-games.
I would strongly object to the personal transporter-buffer carried by "Elite Force"-squad members, where they can store gear like helmets and stuff in a transporter-matrix in the belt.
------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited August 09, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure why they referred to that as a transporter. A transporter that takes a preset pattern to reassemble matter into something useful already has a name. It's called a "replicator"...

------------------
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra, and then, suddenly, it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
-Matt Groening

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Dixon's chronology is a valuable resource: I used to have it on one of my hard disks, but got rid of it to make space for more nude pictures of Alyssa Milano. I admit its fun to read, just to see how much stuff is actually out there. But for my own works, I try to stick to televised (and movie) canon, because it's something we all have easy access to.

I've never actually read any Trek novels or played FASA, but I respect the right of anyone to incorporate anything they want into their personal canon. It's kind of like religion, I guess. You can be fundamentalist or liberal. As with religion, some people can get pretty upset if you don't subscribe to their particular view of the universe.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

The sh*t with the JD Chronology is that about everything is considered valid for the purpose of the Chronology. If I write a novel in which the Pokemon form an alliance with the Borg and together conquer the Federation, and the USS Kickass under command of Cpt. Skywalker comes to the rescue to kill Pikachu and all of his friends, then it definitely will show up in the JD Chronology. I remember seeing a Star Trek/X-Men crossover novel documented in it, anyway. This kind of bizarre in-jokes really screw things up. Luckily, such novels are rare, and most novels are just good, solid Trek stories.

------------------

ALPHA CENTAURI

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited August 10, 2000).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's his website?

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

JD's URL? See Masao's post above.

------------------

ALPHA CENTAURI

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahahaha.... All you canon-philes... You make me laugh. And this sorta is like religion. Mind you, my view on religion just got blasted by watching Stigmata recently... But that's another post for another board

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps