Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ST6 question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ST6 question
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McCarthy's right hand man was a fellow named Roy Cohn. Nixon main red-hunting claim to fame was the Alger Hiss case, which involved microfilm hidden in pumpkins by State Department employees (or something like that).

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. I thought I wasn't sleeping through that History class.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the "ancestor" Spock was referring to is supposed to be none other than that master of logic, Sherlock Holmes. I believe this lineage is mentioned in one of the non-canon Trek books, Amanda supposedly being descended from him.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, considering that the Trek timeline and the real-life timeline are supposed to be conincidental up until around the '60s, assuming Sherlock Holmes to be a non-fictional character in the Trek universe is a bad idea. It makes a lot more sense to say Spock is related to Doyle, since he's the one who actually wrote that line.

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, maybe the writers could stay more towards Nimoy's herritage and have his character related to a Ukranian Titoist. And Titoist is a word I invented for the whole group of politicians who resisted the Warsaw pact and Russian soveriegnty in Eastern Europe ...

But then again, that isn't very Spock. Hmmm ..

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

A scene that was cut from last season's "Rock" episode, Tsumkatse:
Rock: Do ya smell what the Rock's cookin'?
Janeway: Mr. Rock, was that you?
Tuvok: An intriguing smell ...

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nixon was rabidly anti-communist. For anyone else to open diplomatic relations with China would have made them look weak, or at least soft on communism. This created a popular saying in America, "Only Nixon could go to China".
Kirk was rabidly anti-klingon. No one could accuse him of being a closet-Klingon (well, they do have similar personaliy types...) or a pro-Klingon agitator. Anyone else holding out the olive branch would be accused of colluding with the enemy, but KIRK wouldn't do that.
For similar reasons, I have heard it suggested that the first female (or black, for that matter) Vice President will have to be a Republican. The Democrats are traditionally painted as liberal, and the Republicans as conservative, and programs that benefit women (or blacks) are traditionally seen as fitting a liberal agenda. Basicly, if a woman runs as a Democrat, most Republicans will vote against her. But if she runs as a Republican, many Democrats will vote for her.
People are resistant to change, and quick to villify proponents of change. The best way to avoid being smeared as one of "them" is to be overwhelmingly one of "us".
Pick any two groups that have been traditionally at odds, the more vehemently the better. Two examples that leap to mind are the Arabs and Isrealis or the Nation of Islam and White Supremicists. Anyone from one camp who shows empathy for the other will be (and has been) painted not as "moderate" but as an outsider, not "truly" one of "us". To open talks, you need to send someone who's allegience is unimpeachable.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McCarthy was opposed to communism? Funny... my old English teacher said he was in charge of witch-hunts.

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps