Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Nature Of Romulan Might (Tam-Ta-Raaah) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Nature Of Romulan Might (Tam-Ta-Raaah)
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fancy title, huh?
My topic is the might of the romulans, ranging from "Undiscovered Country" to "WYLB".

Starting with ST:VI. They must've had some power back then, to be of any worth to the conspiring SF-officers. Has anyone read some book dealing with romulan might in this timeframe? I don't know what ships they had back then, so I'll just jump ahead to "TNZ".

Having not seen the ep personally I can only refer to the line I've heard that Alaimo spoke, "We've grown stronger" or s.t like that. Some say that the Warbird in question was especially big but I don't believe it was a special class that was phased out later, just a camera-trick to beef up the drama-scores. Regardless, they must've managed to build at least 3/5 of Starfleet's fleet-size, but with mightier power per ship, to come out like that and start comparing dicksize. But I'm just guessing.

Then there was "The Die Is Cast", where they lose about 20-30 warbirds, not at all impossible to rebuild within six months (if the feds could do it in a year in "BOBW") but a catastrophy nonetheless. Timeout for a while?

Then we brutally jump ahead to "WYLB", where I recall it was said that the Romulans will need to lick their wounds for a decade (or was that the Klingons?) or at least wasn't in any shape to mount another taskforce.

Now since the rommies didn't participate that much in the Dommie war (at least not as much as the Klingons) then apparently the romulan fleet wasn't THAT big, if SF had more ships than them after the party AND had taken the majority of the blow in the war.

So how much of their "propaganda" was valid and how much was paper tiger, simply hiding behind the neutral zone, spurting out threats and ultimatums now and then, perhaps hoping that nobody discovers that they've had the same 300 warbirds since "TNZ", since they depleted their amounts of quantum singularities or whatever it is they have in their engines.

------------------
And by the way, I faked all the orgasms.

Leslie Nielsen, in "Room With A View With A Staircase In A Pond"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the Klingons who will need to lick their wounds. As I recall, it was stated that the Klingons and the Federation will be unable to pose any major threats; however the Romulans would need to be watched very carefully.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i think the Romulan Fleet is not that large but powerfull enough to kick the Federations butt.

Imagine a Warbird is twice the size of a Galaxy Class, and with the Cloaking Device they could do a lot of damage if they want.

I suppose the Romulan resupply and drydock depots can't produce in the same amount as Starfleet drydocks, because the romulan Power Core (artificial Quantum Singularity) can't be so easily mass produced as the Dilithium Warpcore.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe there was ever a line about "we've grown stronger"

All I rembember was "Matters of greater urgency caused our absence.. but now, we are back."

I still wonder what that meant.

As to Romulan fleet strength... I am reminded of how the old USSR back in the 50's-60's fooled the West into thinking they were much more heavily armed than they were... by parading the SAME missiles three time around Red Square during their celebrations, my building plywood installations, etc.

I don't think the Romulans are as strong as they want everybody to think they are. I'd bet their economy isn't all that prosperous, either, isolationist as they seem to be. That's why, in MY Series 5 concept, they'd collapsed due to the stresses and losses brought on by the Dominion War.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(In mine, they're actively trying to avoid such a fate.)

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same thing happening to them, about 3 years back *L*. I'd guess that the Romulan absence was due to one of a number of causes: They had other external enemies to deal with, internal trouble or simple policy. Also you'll note that the Romulans are isolationist in relation to the Federation and the Klingons, but not with everyone. And space being as large as it is, I doubt not trading with the Federation would be a big problem for them.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romulans may be isolationist towards the Federation, but that is pretty much by UFP design (the Neutral Zone doesn't lend itself to commerce and cooperation, really). They seem to be actively "conversing" with other races, though. They were speculated to have had an alliance with the Klingons back in TOS; they fought with them during the 2270s, as per Kor's boasts in "Blood Oath"; they were part of both overt and covert Starfleet anti-Klingon plans in ST6 (note how the Romulan ambassador listens in on the "Operation Retrieve" briefing with the UFP President's approval - at least in the televised version of the movie); and they continued their war/scheming with the Klingons throughout their pre-TNG isolation, as per "Sins of the Father", "Face of the Enemy" et al.

Moreover, they apparently were in some sort of cooperation with Cardassians at one time, since Dax in "Dax" says Cardies used Romulan components for Terok Nor, and Garak apparently was serving on the Cardassian embassy to Romulus at one time. And they employ foreign assassins, as per "Improbable Cause", suggesting cosmopolitan interest in interstellar matters.

The fact that the Romulans keep fighting these multi-front wars might suggest they are rather powerful. Or then their constantly shifting alliances mean that they are weak when alone, and have to find allies wherever they can. Personally, I think it's more of the latter, and the Warbird fleet is mostly a propaganda fleet - a few dozen to a few hundred big ships and virtually no smaller ones.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To think if Romulus had been the main target in "BOBW", would've been interesting...

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it? Assuming the Romulan encounter would begin in a "Q Who?" like fashion, the story could be rather short.

"Sir, that cubelike ship sent a cyborg over to probe our defences." "Kill it." "We did, but another one appeared, stronger than the preceding one." "Very well, destroy the cube." "Firing... massive damage." "Good, maintain fire, maximum power." "Sir, our weapons did less damage towards the end, but since we kept on firing, we destroyed the cube anyway." "Elapsed time?" "72 seconds from the beam-in of the first cyborg." "Damn. We must stop wasting so much time in this idle chatter. Next time just fire at sight."

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
Member # 205

Assuming, yes.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<I still wonder what that meant.>>

I think we were meant to wonder what he meant. I think the Rommies are actively involved in things both internal and external that are quite major. Perhaps they are mostly on the other side of Romulan space far, far from the Federation. Perhaps this is why their committed Dominion fleet was relatively small. One could argue that they have been dealing with a huge war in the far flung reaches of the Beta Quadrant. Matters of greater urgency...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is always what I'd assumed. Another enemy on the far side of their space.

Incidentally, the LUG makers of the Trek RPG thought so too, and created the "Taurhai Unity" (kind of a Federation without the Prime Directive) for Romulan campaigns.

Or maybe the matters of greater urgency had to do with the reson they're a bit bumpy-headed now, unlike Vulcans.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Nim
Member # 205

Very interesting stuff, having their fingers in many different pies. I do think the romulans could be so much bigger.

The air of mysticism that surrounds them has served it's purpose well, but I think they could be more. I thought John Fleck displayed a more impressive, intelligent and intimidating statesman, something not all romulans have pulled off without going Vader.

I feel a portrait of romulans should emphasize on being alien, not just evil, heartless or powerhungry.
Like a conversation between an SF-officer and romulan dito, with the romulan saying "why do you humans always say that?" in a curious and honest tone.

The romulans should get a little more credit, perhaps with more parallels between them and vulcans. Some more angles on why the romulans chose a culture of their own.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First,

Go to "Creative..." and post your Series V concept, I'm intereasted.

Is Breen space close to Romulan space? The Rommies may have wound up fighting the Breen much more than the Dominion towards the end of the war ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

Timo
Member # 245

That is quite possible. Romulans have *sayings* about the Breen ("Never turn your back on one"), while the Federation has only rumors, many of them apparently false (like the theory that the homeworld is bitter cold, and the suits are for refigeration). Somehow I think the development of sayings would require some time to have passed from the first contact.

Then again, the Breen had border disputes with Cardassians, and Cardies probably haven't loitered all that far away from their homeworld. So it's no wonder the Romulans have contact with the Breen - the suited enigmas seem to be part of the good old small circle of races whose activities concentrate in the near-Earth space, along with Klingons, Romulans, Tholians, Feds, Ferengi...

I'd really prefer the mysterious adversaries of the Romulans to be some race the Feds have never even heard about.

Then again, is the Romulan Star Empire big enough to prevent the Feds from knowing what lies beyond? If the Romulans have been cordoned inside a Neutral Zone ever since the days of the first Romulan war, how big can they be in spatial terms? Or did the RNZ treaty divide the entire galaxy into two halves, Fed and Romulan, and the Zone separates these halves, preventing Fed passage?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps