Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Nature Of Romulan Might (Tam-Ta-Raaah) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Nature Of Romulan Might (Tam-Ta-Raaah)
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Romulans are very active in AlphaBeta situations, though most of the time they're in the background while others fix things for them. They indeed seem to be very isolationist (is that a word??), and maybe even shy. The fact they joined the combined Klingon-Starfleet fleet in a DS9 ep, proves they are not so keen in talking a lot with other races.

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call the Romulans isolationists. Reactionaries, maybe.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Gonna donate half my money to the city.

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 'Inter Ermin Silent Leges' (sp), there are a whole shit load of Warbirds in orbit around Romulus. All for show to be sure. but mabye some were basic frames to keep the feds guessing.

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quick re: The Neutral Zone (for Nimrod).

It wasn't that the warbird was shown especially big, it's that warbird's ARE big, and this was one of the few times it was actually shown on screen.

Now, regarding the Romulan Period of isolationism. I've always liked the simple idea that they pulled back, and then pumped all their money into research. The Warbird would look a lot more impressive if the Fed's previous look at them had been the old Bird of Prey (of course, they might have had ships between these, unless the Tomed incident just involved them sending out their Klingon D7's as fodder).

One other theory I've heard though, is that the Romulan period of isolationism no longer happened, due to Yesterday's Enterprise. Before that episode, the Romulans were never mentioned as having done anything for several decades before. However, the Ent-C saw then attacking a Klingon outpost (maybe roadtesting some Warbird prototypes). Originally, the Federation never heard of this. The Klingon's kept quiet. However, due to Yar's prescence, the fact that Garret was dead, the fact that the cheif engineer had a nice sandwhich for lunch, whatever, history turned out slightly different. Maybe the Ent-C DID get a message to Starfleet. Maybe the Klingons reported it. Maybe a Warbird got damaged and ended up in Fed space. Who knows. But, as a result, the Romulans - knowing that their cover was blown - came out of isolation at that point, and immedietly started trying to tear the Klingons and Federation apart.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intereasting theory, Liam.

God I hate quantum mechanics.

------------------
The Dominion has been defeated, but the hardest job will be building the peace ...

Join Cpt. Connor H. Macy and the crew of the USS Tokyo as they attempt to forge the bonds of trust ...

Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that before TNG, they were in a relative breakdown perhaps internal affairs. So during that time their economy fell and ship production ceased. So they became isolationist to the Fedration and the Klingons to prevent their situation from becoming a apparent. Their ways of beinga honorable lie in TOS was over as soon as they realized it was easy to decieve the Federation. When they got things under ontrol, they built large ships to make their enemies think that their power has increased. However their ships are only as powerful as perhaps the best of their enemies but in limited fashion since the Romulans use singularities and large starships in their fleet. I think that in total combat sips only number about 800 and about 200-300 of those ar Warbirds.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the artificial singularities are difficult to create, and thus they chose to build a relative few BIG ships instead of a lot of little ships.

And maybe the reason they don't use anti-matter is that by the time they figured it out, they would have had to have overhauled their entire fleet.

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the exact same point I made over on the 'Late bloomers?' thread a few days ago, Omega.

No less valid, though

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how big is the Romulan Empire? I used to imagine them as almost as big as the Federation, with the Klingon Empire being quite small ... but now, I'm picturing a much smaller Romulan Empire than I had previously ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we can really say.

One thing to consider is that the Romulans have to be capable of defending their space. Tricks and illusions might work with the Federation, which isn't exactly going to invade them without cause. But we know they've tangled with the Klingons off and on for some time, and if the Klingons could have captured Romulus by force, they would have. So, as a minimum, the Romulan Empire is strong enough to hold off the Klingons.

Now, whether that means they have a fleet of roughly equal strength, or strong planetary garrisons, or excellent strategies and tactics is up for debate.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discovering a new piece of technology doesn't mean scrapping all current tech. They could just add new ships with m/am. Smaller ships. It's called phasing out.
I have a theory of my own. I believe all writers have a note on their desks saying "don't reveal interesting things about rom. except when explicitly warranted by boss kahuna"!!

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's to say that matter-antimatter power is better than quantum singularities anyway?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I am.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Damn your irrefutable logic JeffKardde. I can see how you beat Oomega in all your arguments. Clearly, I am no match for your huge brain. Although it's size does make it easy...FOR ME TO POOP ON!

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It's ok -- I'll just wear a hat ...

Muwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps