Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » *Colonel* West (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: *Colonel* West
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we can arrange to have Section 31 not actually be necessary to the story, why do we have to include them at all?

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an idea:

What if Section 31 was working to PREVENT the assassinations from being carried out?

I mean, the disease they inflicted the Founders with was during the war ... I'd think the chance of peace with the Klingon Empire (not war!) would motivate them to do what possible to get that iniative through.

Just a thought.

------------------
Friends Don't Let Friends Vote Republican
Gore/Lieberman 2000 - a step forward into the new millennium

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. The Section must have some sort of confidence in its predictive abilities, as was indicated by the actions against Romulans in "Inter Arma..." when the Dominion war wasn't showing signs of ending yet and the Romulans were still allies. Perhaps S31 masterminded the whole sequence of events, first blowing up Praxis (or conning the Romulans into doing that), then supporting both the assassination and Kirk's daring exposure of the conspiracy, all the time knowing that this would lead into the Klingons becoming allies.

The more realistic way to interpret things is, of course, that S31 does things to see what happens, and then says "of course, we knew this would happen, and wanted it in the first place"... Perhaps S31 blew up Praxis first (a safe move that would not directly endanger the Federation) and waited what the Klingons and the Fed warhawks would do. When the hawks played themselves into a corner with the assassination, S31 took advantage of that and arranged for Kirk to expose the whole conspiracy, thus gaining the trust of the Klingons. Had the hawks won, or had Gorkon survived and made peace with the Feds, S31 would have come up with a way to make the best possible use of that.

I cannot believe S31 would have maneuvered the Federation into a war deliberately. No matter how Col. West wanted to "clean the chronometers" of the Klingons, S31 must have known that a war with the still rather powerful Klingons would be very destructive to the UFP. Anything that weakens the UFP must be an antithesis of what S31 wants.

Timo Saloniemi

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, I'm starting to think that bringing up Section 31 possibilities with Colonel West was a bad idea. S31 obviously was around during this time, it was in the Federation Charter/Constitution. I'm just throwing in this S31-West possibility to give S31 some work during ST6. I didn't think it would be taken so seriously. I'll have to keep some of my wild theories to myself then.

Your post, Timo, sounds like the best that S31 offers. Manipulating people and changing the balance of power in the A&B Quadrants sounds like them. I like the part of S31 changing their attitude when events change.

'Yes, that *was* supposed to happen.'
'Praxis *cough* our fault. (replace *cough* with was or wasn't)'
'Everything is going according to plan.'

This makes for an interesting intelligence? division.

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really, really, really hate pointless retcons.

------------------
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, you guys may have stumbled upon the ONE way an S31 series might be interesting. What if we got to go back to some of the major events in Trek history, in different time periods, and see what S31 had to do with them? You KNOW they had to be involved in ST6 somehow, since an entity dedicated to protecting the Federation at all costs would certainly not just sit that out.

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Praxis just blew up and S31 took advantage of that random action.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000 - a step forward into the new millennium

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a sticky web of intrigue!

Maybe Admiral Cartwright is really Joseph Sisko... he just had his mind wiped and sent into the future with the persona, so the whole events surrounding his meeting with Sarah the Wormhole Alien etc. took place!

LOL!

Maybe Section 31 is a Wormhole Alien organisation! Maybe the Bajorans are the REAL founders of the Federation!

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe the Federation was created by the Prophets for the express purpose of engineering Sisko's birth.

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe the entire Star Trek universe was created by a guy named Rodenberry... errrr

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene Roddenberry was a wormhole alien!?!

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Damn. What a masterful way of arcing the stories! What about Gene Coon?

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, now it's freakin' me out

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I recall hearing something about a mention of Roddenberry during "Far Beyond The Stars" that would have essentially been exactly that. I don't recall why it was discarded, though I think it was because the plot became too "meta" with its inclusion.

------------------
--
E. E. Cummings

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the idea that was bandied about of having the closing shot of the series (i.e. the last we see in 'What You Leave Behind') depicting an elderly Benny Russell looking around the Paramount lot as the televised version of his "Deep Space Nine" was getting underway?

That would have you looking into your glasses and cups, wouldn't it!?

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps