Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Real-life Holodeck (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Real-life Holodeck
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone gave me a link to this...
http://www.startrek.com/news/news.asp?ID=112831

It's pretty interesting. Palm V, laptop, cell phone, and now the Experience Learning System.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally, some hope we'll actually have holodecks one day! I wonder if anything like this will ever become public.

------------------
"Contact in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... more or less."
-Tal Celes "Good Shepard"
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/7647/

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had VR training in the Army for a while now.... Although it as been nothing really good yet, just ok, if you consider te tech involoved.

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, just we need ... now there will be malfunctions ... ah!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the impression this isn't VR requiring helmets or whatever. But designed as an actual interactive simulation. Nowhere near the realism of a Star Trek hologram, but a start none-the-less. In ten years we'll have holographic marines fighting wars! Until they become sentient and kill us all.

------------------
"There's a new Mexico?" - Mr. Burns
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have details on the specific nature of the system. I mean, it's hardly photons confined within a force field. Some kind of screen projection perhaps?

------------------
"Investigator of skullduggery,though quite lenient on buggery"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And all over the globe, sci-fi fans are leaping to the air, then talking to their life-size cut-out of Marina Sirtis:
"Don't worry Marina, soon I won't have to talk to any of those nasty 'real-life' people again. It'll be just you and me in digital heaven. Oooh".

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilbert once said that if that there was holodecks no one will come out since that world would generaly better than the real one.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Undoubtedly.

Would you? Step out willingly, from a happy land where EVERYTHING you ever wanted was yours for the asking, into a place where nitwits kill each other over who has a right to stand on what ground?

Or would you retreat into a computerized harem on board your very own Starship, with the world's best food served fresh three times a day, the perfect climate, and all the time in the world?

Holodecks and food replicators. That's the way the world ends. Not with a bang, not with a whimper, but with billions of squelching sounds and soft moans behind billions of closed doors.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited December 02, 2000).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need more bandwidth for this....
Holographic parties....
Gives new meaning to cyber sex...

Watch, after fifty years of ST they will have a final ep. where a low to mod level tech named Gene gets in to trouble for day dreaming in a holo-room.

***Doors slide open***
"Damn it Gene, quit goofing off and get those receptors aligned so the Johnson's can start their vacation on Mars."

With a sigh Gene pulls out his micro tools and makes a final adjustment and walks out of his world.....

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it could end up like Better Than Life, where no one likes the perfect world because they know that none of it could ever happen to them in real life, thus ruining the experience.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or like the nastier version of Better Than Life (from the books), where no-one actually knows that they're in a simulation, until Rimmer ends up in a prostitutes costume and kills lots of people by riding a motorcycle down a market. Er, or something.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Like ... "THE MATRIX" ...

Uh-oh ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, 'the Matrix', what an insanely original movie that was...*sigh*...

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rimmer was driving a huge semi-truck, actually. That's the one Red Dwarf book I have.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps