Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » How a Star Trek soundtrack should sound... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How a Star Trek soundtrack should sound...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't seen the movie "The Dish" - do. Its VERY good. Anyway - I'm currently listening to the soundtrack - THIS is the way a Star Trek soundtrack should be done.

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm partial to Babylon 5/Tangerine Dream music myself.

------------------
"What happens on the edges of infinity, the never-never land of mathematics?"
-Miss Hodgin

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majority of Music from Babylon 5/Crusade is utter garbage. Christopher Franke is a hack. And Evan H Chen is a no-talent hack. Ugh.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*SMITE*

------------------
"What happens on the edges of infinity, the never-never land of mathematics?"
-Miss Hodgin

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but this soundtrack (The Dish) its a REAL orchestra...

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I love the B5 style of music. However, I wouldn't want it for Star Trek.

The best Trek movie soundtracks were II and FC. I wouldn't want Goldsmith to do the next film (and the chances of getting Horner are slim to none), since Insurrection sounded a bit "samey" at times. Get Chris, er, thingy, who did VI. That soundtrack was great, especially considering that he was a relative newcomer. 10 years on, I'm sure he'd blow our socks off.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cliff Eidelman, actually.

His stuff now is quite sub-par as compared to ST:VI.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about a lil' theme song made by Moby, or Apollo 440. Would be fun!

IMHO, i find the intros to DS9 and especially VOY a little too boring.

------------------
"There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to killing."
-Gaseous Anomaly, December 11, 2000
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Member # 239

Oh yes, nothing like a amateur commercial-scorer to make your film score really shine. Dear Gods.

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL

------------------
"There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to killing."
-Gaseous Anomaly, December 11, 2000
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't mind hearing something on the experimental side. I mean, maybe not like getting Phillip Glass to compose the score, but something. One thing I love about TMP is the way the strange and wonderful V'Ger sounds mix in and around and over the music.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. I didn't really care for that when I first watched it (I was young. To paraphrase someon, I still thought that the 1812 Overture was a great piece of classical music), but it does grow on you. It actually took me ages to realise that the original TOS music plays several times while the Enterprise is inside the cloud.

I still don't understand why they didn't use the opening fanfare though...

The problem with being experimental, is that, well, sometimes it sounds crap. Did anyone like the Chen music for Crusade? Thought not. Franke managed to be different from the now sci-fi/space opera standard (John Williams/Jerry Goldsmith), but it was still involving and emotional (for example, when the White Star crashes into Z'Ha'Dum, when Sheridan relives his death in "Whatever happened to Mr Garibladi?", and the great end of series music from "Sleeping in Light". Plus the theme to season 3. That's class).

I read somewhere that a lot of the music in First Contact should be credited to Joel Goldsmith anyway. Does he have a stupid ponytail as well?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Is that the announcer guy from Conan O'Brien!?!

------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dish, brilliant stuff. On a side note, has 'The Dish' been realeased in the northern hemisphere? I remember Santo (real name) saying that they were looking for a local launch.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Prakesh's idea for a ST soundtrack with Moby and Apollo 440 (I'm not referring to their Lost In Space theme). Those artists have proven that they can make 'spacy' music. I'd also like to hear Chemical Brothers on a ST soundtrack.

I don't really dislike the orchestral music associated with Star Trek series and movies, but I think it's a good idea to have a soundtrack for ST10 with some more popular music by artists known by a great public. Commercially, it's interesting anyway - it diminishes Star Trek's 'cult' image, making ST more interesting for a greater public.

------------------
Signature.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps