Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » How a Star Trek soundtrack should sound... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How a Star Trek soundtrack should sound...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contemporary music dates the film. Look at "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" or "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." Or anything shown on MST3K.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want to make Star Trek more acceptable for a general audience? Loose any word that contains more than two sylables. And have all the women wear their pants and bra. And nothing else.

Besides, unless something's changed drastically in the 2 weeks since I last went to the pictures, I'm pretty sure that 90% of all films today use "classical" music anyway. Sure, they may have the odd song in their (which is usually pants), but most of the film uses a symphonic orchestra. Lost in Space did. The Apollo track only came in for the end credits.

Do you want Star Wars scored by the Prodigy?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, most Hollywood music is probably best classified as "Late Romantic Era", meaning 1880-1900 AD mainstream European (= mostly German) orchestral music with overtones of pompous British military scores. A movie risks a lot if it doesn't use this type of music as the basic material. The only other safe bet that won't alienate the majority of the viewers is five-year-old popular music - younger people can listen and pretend it's not too out of date yet, while older people can pretend to understand it, and still claim it's modern enough not to be an "oldie" suited for a fossilized listenership.

Personally, I hope Trek stays with the good old Williams/Horner late romantic style for the time being. It's way too late for it to begin building an identity of its own as far as music is concerned.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what would be the best way to do that? Why, to get Horner back to score Trek X!

Kids programs often use semi-classical music too. Pokemon uses the original Japanese score, all orchestral versions of the Game Boy themes, and it sounds lovely.
Beast Machines uses some weird techno thing. I can't say I'm a fan, but it suits the feel of the show, in the same way that the synth/tribal drums music captured the feel of Beast Wars.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Horner has some nice scores, but I can pick him a mile off... I really noticed it with Bicentennial Man...

Horner'd be nice - but I wouldn't go all out to get him.

Jerry Goldsmith again is nice - but if they're going to get him back - he'd better think up something new and not just do a rehash.

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cliff Eidelmann should do ST: X

------------------
"What happens on the edges of infinity, the never-never land of mathematics?"
-Miss Hodgin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck that. Pull in the big guns. Get Hans Zimmer or Basil Poledouris, man. Half the soundtracks in my collection are theirs. "Gladiator," "Smilla's Sense Of Snow," "Hunt For Red October".....

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*tosses 2 cents in*
James Horner for Trek X.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Debney.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps