Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Losses in the War (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Losses in the War
warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do think the losses for all the major powers in the war including ships and casualties?

------------------

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to disagree TSN, I think that they lost quite alot.....

------------------
EOH

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A hell of a lot.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allied forces lost about 30 million (mostly due to the USSR); Axis losses were a bit lower, at around 10 million. I was having a hard time finding ship stats, but the US lost around 1000 warships, if that helps.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I remember my mum telling me 'don't wear that jacket, it doesn't go with your top.' And I said 'Screw you mum, I'll wear what I'll like'. And then I went and changed tops." - Liam Ka--thingy

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that just soldiers, or does it include civilian casualties? Does it also include people who didn't die as a direct result of the war, as in the halocaust?

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's supposed to include civilians, but I'm not sure about the holocaust. Try a Web search...there's plenty of info out there.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I remember my mum telling me 'don't wear that jacket, it doesn't go with your top.' And I said 'Screw you mum, I'll wear what I'll like'. And then I went and changed tops." - Liam Ka--thingy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Halocaust", eh? Some sort of burnt nimbus...?

------------------
"Yahweh likes to meddle in the affairs of us, as it makes him feel powerful, and he forgets the many years of torment he endured at Supreme Being Secondary School. Many a day would 'Thor - God of Thunder' & 'Mars - God of War' steal Yahweh's lunch money and hang him up by his breeches, all the while belittling Yahweh by insulting his very odd, and non-imposing God name, usually by adding a valley girl accent, and having it come out as 'yeah! way!'."
-Ultra Magnus, 15-Dec-2000

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was refering to the Dominion War. i was looking for numerical estimates for ships and casualties.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, at this point, someone will pull some numbers out of their deficating tunnel, saying "The Federaton lost approx 30,000 ships, mainly 23rd century classes, like the venturific-class."

And the reason why I hate this, is because the writers have always purposefully kept it vague as to how many ships Starfleet actually has. And without that information, an accurate guess is probably impossible to predict. A percentage might be possible, so I'm going with close to 50% of their fleet has been destroyed or heavily damaged (ie, requiring extensive repairs)

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Causalty rates depend on what you count as a causalty.

According to "Dirty Little Secrets of World War II", as many as 78 million people were killed as a result of the war, and the authors suspect that the real number might be as high as 100 million.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also helps to define a time frame for World War II.

Some people define it as beginning with Japanese hostilities in Eastern Asia in 1931, and ending in 1945 with Japan's surrender ...

Or Poland, 1938 to Japan, 1945 ...

Or Dec. 7th, 1941 - 1945 ...

One guy even grouped WWI and II together ... not a bad idea, as WWI led directly to II, but not the most effective, either.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could include that Japanese squad that stayed hidden on some Pacific island for a few decades AFTER the war ended...

My questions for warbird5:

a) What difference does it make to ANYTHING, real or Trek?

b) How the heck do you expect US to know? There is absolutely NO basis for any sort of estimate, so as Liam said, anything anyone tells you, they've pulled out of their "deficating tunnel." You could say, "They lost every ship they had, except the ones that we KNOW survived." You could also say, "The Federation has THOUSANDS of ships left. They only lost the ones we KNOW were destroyed." Either statement is equally justifiable.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Jap hold-outs would be considered, as a treaty was signed ... although, I wouldn't be surprised to see new theories which extend WWII through the Cold War until the collapse of the USSR ...

It's hard to guesstimate losses because:

a) We didn't see much of the War. We don't know how battles raged on other fronts, and we don't know what other non-aligned races (minor ones, no doubt) might have allied themselves with the Dominion against the AQ ... (and vice versa)

b) We don't know the populations or military strengths of any of the AQ powers. I mean, have you seen the threads in here on Starfleet's fleet size or the existance of a Marine Corps? That can't be decided on, much less anything else in regards to the other powers!

I'd say its a safe bet to say that several billion people died.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Liam: I think you're wrong. We all knew what Warbird was talking about to start w/, and yet, no-one gave a straight answer then, either. :-)

------------------
"Yahweh likes to meddle in the affairs of us, as it makes him feel powerful, and he forgets the many years of torment he endured at Supreme Being Secondary School. Many a day would 'Thor - God of Thunder' & 'Mars - God of War' steal Yahweh's lunch money and hang him up by his breeches, all the while belittling Yahweh by insulting his very odd, and non-imposing God name, usually by adding a valley girl accent, and having it come out as 'yeah! way!'."
-Ultra Magnus, 15-Dec-2000

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps