Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet and Numbers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Starfleet and Numbers
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm, it appears as though I've stirred up a hornet's nest! Sorry.

Anyways, to PsyLiam's comment: It is feasible to have only 9 Galaxy's as they are large vessels and take more time to build than smaller ships. There is also the issue of 'all the eggs in one basket'. Still, what with the war and all, there could very well be more. I seem to recall a Star Trek Voyager episode (involving the timeship Relativity), we were taken to a time before the pilot episode "Caretaker". There we saw Voyager in the drydock - with what looked like a Galaxy under contruction. However, it could have been a Nebula - they share a similar hull.

Ultra Magnus: no offence taken. I see and understand your point about canon stuff and how anyone could easily make up some numbers - loads of Star Trek Simming Groups have done this, for example - USS Discovery, Galaxy-class, NCC-62991. It's made up & is not a valid part of any equation, just made up for people's enjoyment. Besides, I got the impression that a forum like this was for discussion - so that we can identify what is right and what is wrong, and throw what is wrong and not 'canon' in the bin with the rest of the rubbish!

USS Trinculo - a model at a convention you say? That would explain it; I'm in the UK and sadly have never been to one.

So, anyone know what the last registry number of Starfleet's latest vessel is? I've got NCC-75433 (USS Sao Paulo, renamed Defiant). Oh and how many ship are built per year? DITL says 100-402, what do you folks think? I'm interested for a Star Trek Simming Group who want a realistic number, and I'm the one who agree to come up with one! (It's a Sabre-class ship & the number of the Sabre herself would also be of tremendous help!)

Am I mad or am I mad? No, I just like Star Trek and believe in keeping to the facts.

Next comment please!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Starfleet's built quite a few more than 12 Galaxy-Class Starships. It's reasonable to assume that they've built new ships to replace ones lost (Yamato, Odyssey, Enterprise), but also that the number of twelve ships given was probably for the first production run (if you will).

It's reasonable to assume that Starfleet builds a limited number of each new class they're introducing. This gives them time to see if the ship is being used as they intended, or somehow different. Do they really need the new class, or are other ships still effectively completing the duties? Is the ship not properly equipped for its mission? For example: you wouldn't send a Miranda-Class on a twenty-year deep space exploration mission beyond the Federation border.

Now, while the Enterprise never really got to do a lot of deep-space exploration, it's reasonable to assume that some of the other Galaxy-Class ships did. Starfleet likes research missions. They built more.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes! Production runs - of course! Why didn't I remember that! In the word of Homer Simpson: D'oh!

Yes, quite right. It could well be that Starfleet decided on a second, third and even forth production run of the Galaxy-class. They are very well suited for deep-space exploration missions, and would obviously like to keep their numbers up, what with losing 3. The Galaxy-class was also designed to replace the Oberth- and Excelsior-classes, so again more could be built. After all, how many Excelsior's and Oberth's are there in Starfleet? They must have had loads of production runs!

Fleet size issue - the Dominion had 2,800 ship waiting to travel through the wormhole. What percentage of their fleet was that?! If that was 1%, then the fleet as a whole would be 280,000!!! If it was 10%, that would still bring the fleet to 28,000 ships!!! So the estimates of 10,000+ I guess are justified if you think of that fact.All these numbers, my head is spinning! Hehe! Also, the lifespan of the ships is an issue. A ship with a lifespan of 100 years would have to be replace in 100 years (obviously). If Starfleet built 12 Galaxy's every year, then they could maintain a fleet of them in the size of 1,200. Nebula's are smaller so they could maintain a Nebula fleet of 1,800 or 2,400 plus. Prototypes could also very well be scrapped/mothballed if they prove useless - accounts for the reg numbers being 75433+. Also, what about the civilian ships built by Starfleet? I think I'll pause on this issue for now, or I'll be here for a month! Hehe!

I guess the main issue over Galaxy's is numbers - mmm, at a guess as to what others are saying, I'd place my money on a number between 24 and 48. Certainly not 1,500! :0

The debate continues!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, indeedy it does ... (pissed 'cuz I just accidently deleted my very long post explaining why the Galaxy isn't replacing the Oberth or Excelsiors which have different missions, but nevermind)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't see the galaxy class taking over the missions of any class but the ambassador. i think that the galaxy class was intended for a role that was not adequetely filled at any point in star fleet history, and was first addressed by the ambassador class. therefore, the galaxy class would have a unique position in the fleet.

--jacob

------------------
"Hi, my name's Locutus, and I'll be your assimilator tonight. Can I interest you in our specials? Super. Well, currently we're offering an arm-replacement tool with extra wiggly-waggly bits on, or, for the more daring among you, not one but two ocular replacements! Terrific. You want fries with that? Ohh, I'm sorry, I've just heard from the chef that fries are off - they're irrelevant, apparently."

-Vogon Poet, March 13, 2001

IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Triple posting...

To build over a thousand Galaxys would take a very long time, resources, man power and space in the yards to do. If this was the case, then why worry about the Borg anyway? Build 5 Defiant for every Galaxy and you have a fleet that would be unstoppable. Of course this isn't true so...

By the way, Darkstar from viewing his latest posts and his 'supposed' last post is totally uncalled for and stupid. By the way he posts I would only guess that he's 12-14 years of age. Even though I am 17 years old, people calling me names doesn't bother me that much. He needs to grow up, fuck some girl/boy and then come back and look what he did from a different perspective.

I know this is General discussion on Star Trek not Darkstar, so... if we want to insult Darkstar and stuff we should do it on the Flameboard.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fixed it

ER: please be a little more patient when pressing the "Submit" Button, otherwise, you'll get the horror that has just happened here.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsyLiam: Since I was speaking in reference to the other thread by Darkstar, (now closed), I should say that I am quite disgusted with HIM, (Darkstar). I have met him. However, he has never posted directly in reference to me.
akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by JeffKardde:
Yes, indeedy it does ... (pissed 'cuz I just accidently deleted my very long post explaining why the Galaxy isn't replacing the Oberth or Excelsiors which have different missions, but nevermind)

So just out of curiosity what is your explaination as to why the Galaxy isn't replacing the Oberth or Excelsiors? Dispite the age of this post, I'd still be interested in knowing what you think JeffKardde.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before he has time to respond, I'll stick in some thoughts, too.

According to the TNG TM, the Galaxies were indeed expected to replace the Oberths, as well as the Ambassadors. I don't think there is any merit in taking this as a literal truth, since obviously you cannot replace six hundred tiny Oberths with six hundred Galaxies in order to keep surveying six hundred planets at the same time. Small ships should be replaced by small ships, bowing to the wisdom of those who originally decided that a small ship is what is best for the given mission.

Instead of 1:1 replacing of old surveyors, I suspect the Galaxies were intended to alter the way Starfleet thinks of planetary surveys. A Galaxy would take over the mission of an aging Ambassador 1:1 all right; but instead of replacing one Oberth, it would replace ten or more Oberths at a time. How could it do that if it can't separate into ten pieces? Presumably by one of the following methods:

-a Galaxy would conduct a survey ten times as fast as an Oberth
-a Galaxy would have decisively longer scanning range, so it could survey things during transit, without having to stop and stalk them (like, say, orbit a planet or enter a nebula)
-a Galaxy would perform a mission that would make ship-based surveying wholly unnecessary (say, establish diplomatic relations with people who already have conducted a survey, or deploy shipless survey teams on location, or blast apart the planets so that there wouldn't be anything to survey)

So I see the line in the TNG TM more as proof that Starfleet wanted to get rid of the Oberth *mission* than as indication that Starfleet wanted to field a modern successor to the Oberth *ships*. By saying "Galaxy replaces aging Ambassador and Oberth", Starfleet actually means two things:

-Ambassadors and Oberths are aging, so they have to be replaced somehow
-Galaxy will merge the missions of these two classes and create a wholly new type of mission, thereby taking care of the aging problem without building actual successor ships

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is bound to piss someone off but I tend to think that the Galaxy-class completely replaced the Ambassador-class i.e. there are no longer any Ambassadors in service (hence why they're never seen).

Also, if anything, I would speculate that the Nova-class is set to replace the Oberths.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Zhukov?
USS Excalibur?

I rest my case.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea, since it's a very tired one. An Ambassador hasn't been seen on-screen in nearly 10 years of Trek time, while we've now seen quite a few Galaxy-classes.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I concur with Dax in that the Oberth mission spec is being replaced by the Nova. But in another way, some other earlier starships may also have been constructed to take the place of the Oberth, such as the Hokule'a class, or Mediterranean which some believe, including myself, may well fall into the surveyor/science ship bracket.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
This is bound to piss someone off but I tend to think that the Galaxy-class completely replaced the Ambassador-class i.e. there are no longer any Ambassadors in service (hence why they're never seen).

Also, if anything, I would speculate that the Nova-class is set to replace the Oberths.

Well, you've not pissed me off but . . .
Just because the Galaxy-class has been introduced does not mean that the Ambassadors would be kicked out of service. They're still useful for something: colonist transportation, boarder patrol, cargo transfers, diplomatic missions, exploration (assuming that they have decent range and duration), defence . . . needless to say Starfleet would not scrap an entire class of ships if they could still be of use - especially considering how many ships were lost to the Dominion.

As for the Nova-class replacing the Oberth - a reasonable assumption, one I can't argue with.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps