Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Andorian and Tellar names? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Andorian and Tellar names?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm writing an article about Andorian starships, so I'd like to know if any canon (TOS or TAS) Andorian names have been established. I know Shras, Thelen, Thelev. Have any others been given in novels and games? I'd also like to know if there are any Tellar names. I know Gav only.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, krikey. There were an Andorain and a Tellarite on the Elysian Council in the Delta Triangle in the TAS episode "The Time Trap"; I can't remember their names, though. Come to think of it, I don't know if their names were mentioned...

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, First of Two has a whole list of Andorian and Tellarite names.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, there've been a lot in novels & I've created quite a few myself. They're fairly easy & I'd be glad t'give you help with alien names.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'll probably be thinking up my own names and don't want to reuse what's been used before, I'd just like to have some ideas of what kinds of sounds have been used in Andorian and Tellar names. I can then use the sounds as a kit to mix and match and make names.

The three Andorian names I know seems to suggest to separate clans or great families within the Andorian nation. You got Thel- two-syllable names and Shr- one-syllable names. The single Tellar name (Gav) is not much to go on.

So anything that's been published or is circulating on the net or anything any of you have thought up would be helpful. If you know any place names, that would also be good.

Thanks

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sim character (& soulbond) I created was LCDR Faera Thalev, a native of Raashal, Andor. The names I gave her family were Sharis (mother), Ayrn (father), & Elit (brother), all of whom worked for Drenjal University. The LUG TNG RPG book has Sharas Vetra & LT Korudos; their "Price Of Freedom" supplement has Lor'Vela as a major historical figure as well as Danos Kosk, Farsha, Morsha, Ankora, Venahil, Dregas & Tharan.

I've had Tellarite names like Garv, Kerd...another character.SB had a Tellarite chief engineer named Gervok Mek. The novel "Prime Directive" lists a Tellarite female named Glissa, & the LUG TNG RPG book has Gnarr & LCDR Arax Papaub; their "Price Of Freedom" supplement has Cherok as a major historical figure as well as Ranx, Gnax, Norx, Kolrak, Tarnoc & Talla.

As with all things, there's allowances for dialects & regional differences. The way I look at it, Andorian names are "flowy," combing insectoid with avian to formy very Minbari sounds, while Tellarites reflect the harsh porcine nature.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YRI (You Recall Incorrectly)

I had made up a very small list of Andorian and Tellarite possible SHIP names, but they're entirely out of my own imagination, except for the few I picked out of non-canon books.

I believe there are extremely few canon names.. Masao may have listed them all already.

The LUG Trek RPG Andorian sourcebook might be helpful in creating original names, since it has a basic Andorian 'dictionary' in the back, as well as listing many names and clans. I used it to create Kolax (Ice-Heart) Ivari, one of my RPG characters.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will this be another SF Museum update, Masao? I hope so!

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Shik: Thanks. Those names will be helpful.

1st of 2: I'd like to hear your ship names and any non-canon ones you know, since I am writing a ship article. I've heard about this LUG games thing. Someone over at Sc*-Fx*- *rt (name obscured) who said he provided drawings for the book. Anyways, is the book still in print? That dictionary sounds helpful.

Prakesh: Yes it will be! I got a theory that the single-hulled Starfleet ships, such as Oberth (that's a pod down there, not a hull) and those from FC, developed from Andorian ships that fought in the Earth-Romulan War and later served in Starfleet. I figure their layout was very different from overpowered, overbuilt Earth-designed vessels of the time and provided some kind of warp-dyanmic advantage.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll see what I can do. I'll have to look up my old list, and with the chaos that I've been experiencing recently, that'll be a chore. I have the Andorian Sourcebook, and I do believe its still available, to some extent, despite the fact that they're not officially putting out any more games.

You can find out more about it at the "fan" site where most of the original contributors hang out, which is www.trekrpg.net

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First,

I think you posted at least a partial list in "A Dominion War - Sinking of the Bismark" in DAC.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errr ... What's DAC?

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Design, Artwork & Creativity

It's one of the forums.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*smacks Harry for not knowing what his forum is*

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

1 of 2, thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can find.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps