Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » RIKER, CMDR WILLIAM T. -- Starfleet Assignments (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: RIKER, CMDR WILLIAM T. -- Starfleet Assignments
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched it this morning. Nope. He's a full Commander.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I just popped it in to check. Coulda sworn he was Lt. Commander, but I guess that would be Lt. Commander Kyle.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it was pointed out above, there wasn't a Lt. Commander pin at the time. Which means that Chekov, Commander "Let's give them a few more minutes" and Kyle were all full Commanders. Kinda puts Voyager's rank distribution to shame, don't it?

But my question still stands - was Chekov ever distinctly mentioned as the First Officer on the Reliant? He barely had a chance to ACT as one before Khan and his stooges took it over...

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. He made a ship's log and identified himself as the First Officer.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Kyle was obviously the Communications officer. The yellow-collared Branch may have been the chief Helmsman (those generally have had high ranks), or perhaps the chief Engineer (who, like Scotty, might sometimes come up to the bridge to take command when the ship is in standard orbit and the Captain and his XO are down below).

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Captain Terrel -- CO
Commander Pavel Chekov -- First Officer
Lt. Commander Kyle -- Chief Engineer (assuming he's a Lt. Commander and not a full Commander)

What about Beech? Anyone see his rank pin?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle was a full Commander.

He said something like this:

"Starship Reliant to Captain Terrell... This is Commander Kyle. Will you please respond, Captain...Captain Terrell, respond please."

And as Timo said, there was no pin for Lt. Cmdr., so it was the Commander-pin on his uniform.

And he wasn't the CEO because his division colour was gray.

Beach was a full commander too.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 28, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Aye-yi-yi ... there ALL full commanders?

Data was addressed as "Commander" quite a bit ... just because someone is addressed as a "Commander" doesn't mean they're not a lieutenant commander.

Just as Worf and LaForge were always called "lieutenant" in the first season of TNG, not "lieutenant junior grade"

I have a hard time believing they were ALL full Commanders.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Data was addressed as "Commander" quite a bit ... just because someone is addressed as a "Commander" doesn't mean they're not a lieutenant commander.

True, but in Kyle's case we've a visual evidence, that he was a full commander.

IIRC the first Lt. Cmdr. we've seen in the movies 2-7 was this Alien at Starfleet Emergency Operations in STIV. http://www.stinsv.com/MOv/640char/peters1.jpg

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 28, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, we also had visual evidence that Valaris was a lt commander...

For a completely arbitary reason, I hold the movie ranks pins as less "definite" than the TNG or TOS ones, simply because they are harder to identify in a snap (and they take a lot longer to figure out. Pretty much everyone can guess the TNG ranks after one episode).

(Baring Admirals, obviously.)

(And NCO's.)

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's cuz Valeris was supposed to be Saavik. IMNSHO, ST VI was one giant clusterf**k... From the mess with Valeris to the size of the E-A bridge to the general decor of both ships... Yeesh.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Valeris' costume was "off the rack". At a convention once, Kim Cattrall said the only actual new bit of clothing she got was pants, since she insisted on that much. The shirt and jacket were probably just whatever
fit her best from what they had. So the rank insignia and the gray uniform-colour was an "error" of the costume department.

Same thing with Colonel West. He wore the uniform of a vice admiral.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: Oi! Stop baring the admirals! We don't need to see that!

------------------
We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
"Wowsers!"
-Star Trek: Series ?: "A Pair o' Docs, part II"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

What was wrong with the decor of the two ships?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, see, that just kind of blows. I mean it's a motion picture, for Pete's sake. Did they really think that noone would be paying attention?

"Well, it's only the 6th movie in the series. Noone is really paying attention to detail stuff yet anyway. Just grap a jacket from wardrobe and put it on her. I guess she's insisting on new pants, though. Prima dona."

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps