Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » RIKER, CMDR WILLIAM T. -- Starfleet Assignments (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: RIKER, CMDR WILLIAM T. -- Starfleet Assignments
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STVI is the best of the series, in my opinion. I loved the fact that you got to see so much of the workings of the ship (something that also spiced up Insurrection). And the bridge wasn't THAT large - no more so than the original TOS bridge. To completely damn the film just because it doesn't conform to some little fanboy idea of how the ship should be just seems silly.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I object because the bridge set neither fits in nor matches in structure the exterior model -- even though they managed it in the first four movies. If it had been inconsistent throughout, I wouldn't have had as much of a problem as I do with them building a new set that is wrong, when the old one wasn't.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they moved the turbolifts. Big deal. It was set 7 years after STV, a lot could have happened between then & "now." Besides, maybe they had a similar arrangement to on the E-D, with a spare turbolift to the side, and they just swapped. Try to keep things in perspective: not liking a few cosmetic changes to one set does not mean you should completely condemn a film.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might HAVE moved the turbos, but they didn't change the shape of the exterior on the filming miniature to reflect that. The size and shape of the V and VI bridge does not fit within the existing model.

And that ISN'T the only reason VI is not my favorite (actually, it ranks at number four or five on my heirarchy). The only reason I keep going on about it is because it feels like my points are being dismissed completely without consideration. I am not a wierdo fanboy. I am not some hyper-anal no-life techie dweeb. Call me crazy, but I think it ISN'T too much to ask that the people working on this property we all love so well actually pay attention to such trivial matters as whether or not a set will fit within the physical constraints imposed by the model that's been in existence for over a decade previous -- and if it doesn't, altering the model to allow for the changes.

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Lee
Member # 393

Relax, Perrychops. No-one's getting at you. Just, unclench, dude. It's only a movie. 8)

------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

*twitch*

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Lee
Member # 393

And besides, if you were being a COMPLETE fanboy, Ultra Magnus would have done his stuff by now. 8)

------------------

hoth1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
qoute:
-----------
They might HAVE moved the turbos, but they didn't change the shape of the exterior on the filming miniature to reflect that. The size and shape of the V and VI bridge does not fit within the existing model.
-----------

Exactly how were they supposed to change that on the exterior? As far as I can recall we never see any exterior views where we can see where the turbolifts going.

KK

BTW weren't Spock an XO and had a Captains rank in STV and STVI?

IP: Logged
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Mark? Would you please?

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much to add, really - they changed the inside of the bridge, but they didn't change the outside. While the physical model didn't have any protrusions to indicate where the turbolifts came up, the physical set (including the aft airlock) matched the dome quite closely. In ST5 and 6, the new set would move the trubolifts to the sides, where they'd be sticking out from the dome.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just re-watched Pegasus.

I noticed something interesting.

Pressman mentions that the "incident" (or: mutiny) occured 12 years prior.

This episode aired mid-way during the 7th season, so what this means is that Will Riker was an ensign aboard the Pegasus five & a half years before he became XO of the Enterprise.

Does that seem like a really short time to anyone?

Riker had been on Pegasus for seven-months, straight out of the Academy when the mutiny happened. Presumeably, he was promoted to Lt (jg) afterwards.

So, in five and a half years, he rose in rank to Commander and serving on a starship in his second assignment as XO (his first being the Hood). He'd also passed up a command!

Assuming Riker was 22 when he graduated the Academy, this means he was 27 or 28 when he joined the Enterprise crew, and 35 during Pegasus. Now, this may strike me as odd, but I always pegged Riker as being early-to-mid thirties when the show first began.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Encyclopedia puts his graduation from the Academy in 2357 (pretty much matching the "twelve years"), and his birth in 2335. So, he was 22 when he graduated, and he was 29 when he started on the E-D.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
29 doesn't strike me as being an unbelievable age, leaving aside the issue of promotion speeds. He looked quite young before the beard.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frakes was 35 at EoF...

6 years older than his character isn't so bad.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting comparison to Stewart, who was ten years younger than his character...

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps