Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Sir Syndrome (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sir Syndrome
trekfan2k
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed that on many occausions, the word sir has been used, even through the Commanding Officer was female. I just observed this on a recent episode of Voyager. Also, on TNG, when Dr. Crusher took the bridge, the officers called her Sir many times. Does anyone know why they do this.

------------------
"You left spacedock without a tractor beam?"

"It won't be installed until Tuesday."

-Captain James T. Kirk to Captain John Harriman

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's kindof a generic term, like when in TWOK they called Saavik "Mister Saavik".

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mrs. Crusher, report!!!"

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Caretaker, Janeway said it was part of Starfleet jargon to use sir when addressing a superior officer, and she didn't like it. Ma'am was okay during 'crunch time' but she preferred to just be called captain. I can see why Janeway, as a woman, would not like to be addressed as a man. I can remember at least two times (Workforce Pt. II and one other episode) where she tells Paris to engage, and he says "Yes sir." I'm surprised she hasn't corrected him yet.

------------------
"Contact in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... more or less."
-Tal Celes "Good Shepard"
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/7647/

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ensign/Lieutenant!1 Stop plotting that maximum-warp course away from the Borg this instant, and look at me! Now, what have I told you before about calling me 'sir?' Call me 'Ma'am' or 'Captain' or *zzzzzztt!*2 aggggleaggleagglethird of twelve. Resistance is futile. You must comply."

1Depending on when in the series you're watching.
2Sound of nanoprobes being injected, OK?

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point taken.

------------------
"Contact in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... more or less."
-Tal Celes "Good Shepard"
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/7647/

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a military tradition for lower ranking officers to address a higher ranking officer as "sir" regardless of gender.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Touch�.
Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

As a point of continuity, I am disappointed that Janeway's choice to be referred to as 'Captain' was not maintained throughout the series. It could be excused as another example of the disorder of Voyager over the years. But once contact with Starfleet had been re-established, getting back in touch with Janeway's command style was appropriate.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention the uniforms.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark:
Good point on the uniforms. Starfleet can now download teraquads of data to Voyager (enough for a complete holomatrix of Barclay). How difficult would it be to download the patterns and color swatches for the new uniforms?

Great Ghu, I hate the Voyager ones... Everyone looks like my mechanic.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

trekfan2k
Ex-Member

I like the Voyager uniforms, but anyways, they probaly can send Voyager the patterns, but something tells me they're more concerended with getting home, then keeping up with the new uniforms. Replicating all those uniforms would just be a waste of rations.

------------------
"You left spacedock without a tractor beam?"

"It won't be installed until Tuesday."

-Captain James T. Kirk to Captain John Harriman

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waste of energy definitely, but I think it's also been a choice they've made. I guess I always thought that Janeway just decided to keep the uni's because it was like their "family thing" or something.

"This is the uniform I started out with and this is the one I'm going to finish with."

In reality, the paowers that be probably don't want to risk confusing people who never saw DS9 or the movies.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I don't think that they've gone back on her preference not to be called "sir" at all. I'd say it's just in Paris' character to push things, to see how far he can get. He's calling her "sir" partly in sarcasm, and also because he knows that she hasn't got time to correct him. He'd do it just enough to wind her up a bit, but not enough that she'd tell him off for it.

And surely it's suppossed to show equality anyway? One term for both males and females. While "Mr. Saavik" did sound a bit weird, I've never thought that calling female officers "sir" was strange. Janeway's probably an old fashioned feminist who hates all men and wears dungarees. That's what being stuck with Chakotay for 7 years will do to you.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the British forces, you'd certainly get bawled at for calling a female officer "Sir" rather than "Ma'am" or her rank.
Still, I suppose Starfleet isn't as strict as modern militaries in that regard.

But a male officer sure as hell wouldn't appreciate being called "Ma'am"!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps