Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New TMP FX shots! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New TMP FX shots!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *so* refute this. It's the rec deck. Don't you remember the pictures?
http://titan.spaceports.com/~nzcabac/PreFederation/Enterprise03a.htm

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the officers louge/rec deck

Int he widescreen version of the film you can clearly see the rec deck has eight squarish windows in two rows of four. I also seem to recall you can also faintly see a painting of part of the spacedock and a portion of a pylon and nacelle outisde.

On the outside of the ship you can see those eight squarish windows on the back edge of the saucer to the starboard of the impulse engine (notably when the travel pod passes down between the engines).

These eight windows are the ONLY squarish ones on the ship.

The officer's lounge set re-used part of the rec-deck outer wall, and has the same windows. But since the rec deck takes those windows, there's no place for the lounge.

And Psi'a Meese...how do you know me???

Neutron

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... There are also "square-ish" windows in the botanical section.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And who knows what sort of shuttered viewports the ship has in other locations? The place that would provide a vista most closely matching the one in the new Lounge VFX would be the aft surface of the connecting neck, somewhat below saucer level...

Timo Saloniemi

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Officer's Lounge windows. The squarish windows on the secondary hull are very rectangular and very vertical -- much taller than those seen in the officer's lounge. In fact, they're like a whole deck tall. As to shuttered windows, nice try...

Let's face it, it's a continuity error, plain and simple. The rec deck set windows were purposefully mirrored on the model, and the officer's lounge set reused a part of rec deck wall and no analogous windows were fitted to the miniature. As Andy Probert says, it was a budgetary decision because they didn't want to spend the money to build the "real" Rec Room (seen as a miniature when Spock's shuttle arrives).

Andy's suggestion at the time of the production was to rip out the wall with the windows and put a bluescreen there, then matte the miniature set there so it would be like Kirk and Co. were chatting in a back area of the deck, but no one wanted to do that and do reshoots. It's possible Foundation could have done the same digitally (much as ILM ripped out walls in the Special Edition of The Empire Strikes Back), but instead they recognized that the only matching windows to the set were where the Rec Deck is and moved the view from the set to this spot (hence the angle on the engine).

The easiest answer or all would be that these aren't windows at all, but viewscreens. I'm sure that idea could have been easily gotten across and this whole issue would be settled.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of ripping out... Isn't the simplest interpretation actually that after the initial briefing, somebody went and installed private modular cubicles behind each of the eight Rec Deck windows for the duration of the rest of the journey?

Timo Saloniemi

MrNeutron
Member # 524

>Isn't the simplest interpretation actually that after
>the initial briefing, somebody went and installed
>private modular cubicles behind each of the eight
>Rec Deck windows for the duration of the rest of the
>journey?

What, and ripped them out again once they go sucked into V'ger so Decker and the Ilia-Probe could go back to the Rec-Deck and stand in front of those same windows? LOL

Again, nice try!

Timo
Member # 245

Seriously speaking, I thought the windows were not shown in the Decker-Iliaoid scenes at all? That the camera sat with the cameraman's back facing the windows all the time, or at most panning 90 degrees left or right?

Timo Saloniemi

MrNeutron
Member # 524

You can plainly see the windows beyond the Ilia-Probe in several shots towards the end of the scene...but all you see outside them is blackness...well, until the Director's Edition comes out and we'll see V'ger interior outside.

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just like to see more of V'Ger. That is one alien ship i've never been able to wrap my brain around....

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

Quatre Winner wrote...

>I'd just like to see more of V'Ger.
>That is one alien ship i've never been able to
>wrap my brain around....

Your wish is my command! I scanned one of Syd's Mead's sketches for the model and it can be found at...
http://home.pacbell.net/mauricem/vger.gif

This image appears in the Star Trek Phase II book, but is incorrectly labeled an "early" concept...but it's very near final. Some small details changed at the very back, but it's essentially correct in shape to the final.

It's not clear in the film, but the Enterprise initially approached V'ger from behind, passes along it, and then is sucked into the "maw" at the front end (an ingenious mechanism that's actually very simple but looks more complex than it is).

My wish is that they'd actually SHOW V'ger in the DE version...there's a storyboard showing V'ger eclipsing the sun, and such a shot would allow a hint of the overall shape without having to show it in great detail. Imagine seeing THAT in the sky!

Neutron

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with mrneutron. The best explanation is that we are looking at a small room with a viewing screen. The window visible in that shot is too SMALL to be one of the rec-deck windows. As a matter of fact, (although I KNOW it's non-canon), Mr. Scott's Guide has a floorplan of the officer's lounge which has two small lounge areas with viewers about the size in the picture. These are forward of the main lounge windows in the B-C deck aft hull superstructure.

Timo ... nonononono. I'm sorry, but that shot cannot be made from the aft dorsal. If it were, you'd be looking at the "matter-acquisition-sink," (or whatever), on the inside of the starboard nacelle. The angle is all wrong. It has to be right where the rec-deck windows are or that other place sticking out of nowhere that someone else mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited March 18, 2001).]

MrNeutron
Member # 524

>The window visible in that shot is too SMALL to be
>one of the rec-deck windows.

But it IS one of the windows fromthe Rec Deck set.

>Mr. Scott's Guide has a floorplan of the officer's
>lounge which has two small lounge areas with viewers
>about the size in the picture.

Actually, what that book did was copy and slightly modify Andy Probert's floorplan of how to tie the live action set into the miniature set. Andy's idea was to reshoot the shots of the characters in front of the windows but replace the wall with a bluescreen and then matte in the miniature lounge beyond. The book's version just leaves the wall in. So, if you presume the windows are "screens" then that room could be just about anywhere in the ship.

Neutron

[This message has been edited by mrneutron (edited March 21, 2001).]

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrneutron, I never said the rec-deck SET. IMO, they are too small to be the windows of the rec deck if the measurements of the windows on the Enterprise model/schematics were used. The windows on the model, if scaled up appropriately, couldn't possibly be as small as the screen/window in the lounge.

Assuming we're rescaling the schematics of the Enterprise so that the decks are 9-10 feet in height with 1 foot deckspace between, then one of the STANDARD windows, (i.e., the round/ovalesque portholes), would probably be, (I'm most definitely estimating here), 3 or 4 feet from top to bottom. The rec-deck windows if scaled accordingly would be between 5 or 5.5 or 6 feet from top to bottom.

The window seen in that screenshot didn't appear to be 5 or 6 feet from top to bottom. However, please note that I understand the decklines/windows don't line up on the Enterprise, so my suppositions may be incorrect or invalidated.

I do know that the floorplan in Scott's Guide was modified. I've seen both versions. It just seemed to make more sense that they were in the officer's lounge and I thought that was what the assumption was. There could definitely be more lounge areas elsewhere aboard in the primary hull, (I hope there are), but the officer's lounge is, well, for the officers. I highly doubt that they would have gone anywhere in the secondary hull to have their little chat. (Besides, why would they PUT a lounge in the secondary hull? That whole area seems a bit restricted on space.)

I took another look at that pic, and it actually looks to be about five feet high even though the width would be wrong, as it should be half again the width in the screenshot. Still, if the height is right, I humbly digress and apologize for my overzealous nitpicking.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited March 21, 2001).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps