Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Berman Interview from latest Communicator (pseudo-$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Berman Interview from latest Communicator (pseudo-$)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some fairly substantial content for once, albeit mainly just confirmation of stuff we already knew.(Transcribed by TrekWeb)

quote:

...on Voyager's Finale

You've now finalized the way 'Voyager' is going to end?
Yes, we have a two-hour finale script which is being directed by Allan Kroeker, who is one of our best directors. He also directed the final two hours of 'Deep Space Nine'. Most of the loose ends will be tied up in the final two-hour show.

I assume that all our regular cast of characters will emerge intact and alive?
I don't know why you would assume that!

What are your feelings about using the DS9 or Voyager cast in cameos in the films or in, perhaps, TV movies, etc.?
We have planned surprises in the feature film that we'll be shooting this year with some characters from other series than 'Next Generation'. As far as the 'Voyager' and 'DS9' casts are concerned, those are all decisions that will be made at some point but there has been no discussion of anything more with them at this point.

How would you describe the last two hours of 'Voyager's run?
We have spent a tremendous amount of time working on the story. Ken Biller, Rob Doherty, Brannon and myself have worked for weeks on a very complex storyline. I think we had some big shoes to fill. If you look at the final episode of 'TNG' and 'DS9', they have a certain sweeping heroic quality to them. I think they focused not only on our characters, but also on an action/adventure story on the grander human scale. We wanted the same thing to be true of the last episode of 'Voyager'. I'm very excited and I think the story we finally came up with is a great way to send the crew off.
--------------------------

...on Series V

Rick, have you begun casting on the new series?
We've begun preliminary casting. We've had several meetings and discussions but we haven't had any formal casting sessions yet.

Are the roles set now or are you still tweaking them?
The script is pretty much locked for the two hour premiere.

Is this still a starship-based series?
That is correct.

Should I assume we'll see a male starship captain this time
That's not a bad assumption.

When will the official announcement be made for Series V?
Well, Paramount will be making an official announcement for the new series in the next several weeks and that will contain information on the setting, the time period and the general parameters of what the series is going to be about. The reason they haven't announced it yet is purely a question of deals. The question of where this series will appear has not been finalized and, until all those business elements are settled, they would like to hold off on the announcement.

Is it safe to say that this new series will have a much different look from previous Star Trek shows?
I would like to think that this show will be different in every way--a different look, a different personality, etc. It's going to be a somewhat dramatic departure, certainly from the last three series and, hopefully, a departure that is going to be appreciated by our fans.

How much does the original Star Trek series influence what you are doing today with the new series?
Very little. Having been involved with The Next Generation , Deep Space Nine and Voyager, those series obviously have greater influence on me. The original series does have an influence on me in that it is the core that set all of the precedents. We do try to keep those precedents whole to some degree and try to adhere to them. The original series is very important, but in terms of content and style I don't think it's much of an influence on any of us.

What is happening now in pre-production on Series V? I know you have Herman Zimmerman and John Eaves working on design.
Yes, that's correct. We are also finalizing the selection of a director which I hope will be done in the next day or two. We have Merri Howard back on board and we are structuring deals right now with every department head on the project. As far as a writing staff goes, we have made a couple of selections already and we are busily working to put together a fresh writing staff that will hopefully look at this as season 1 and not season 8.

Are you trying to get sets built so you can begin filming before any of the impending strikes?
Sets are already being built. We are beginning construction on one of the big soundstanges at Paramount and will be starting construction on two other soundstages as soon as Voyager wraps. Right now our target date is that we will begin shooting on May 8 with a September premiere.

Do you have a battle plan in case there is a strike?
A writers strike will keep us from writing but won't keep us from producing and an actors strike will keep us from shooting but not from writing. We have to carry on as if neither strike is going to occur and we certainly are planning on getting, at least, our first two-hour episode completed before the July 1 deadline for the actors strike.

When Paramount makes the official announcement for the show I assume the title will also be revealed. Last time, you said that this show may be the first Star Trek series with Star Trek not in its name. Is that still the case?
Yes, that is still a very good possibility.
--------------------------

...on Trek X

I know that John Logan has been working on the screenplay; how has it been received?
We have just completed an official second draft which just went to the studio this week and was met with great enthusiasm. There were a number of changes made based on discussions we had with the studio and they were changes that both John and I felt very good about and were in the normal process of evolution of a script. The second draft is something that both John and I are very excited about.

Would describe this picture as being on the same scale as the last few Star Trek films?
I think it is bigger in scope and concept. It is more of a heroic Picard vs. the evil villain type of picture as compared to some of the previous films. I think there is more action in it and it's a film that takes place primarily in space. We have wonderful villains, wonderful species both known and new and I would describe the film as being in the same style as John's film 'Gladiator'. The film has a real epic quality to it.

Any location shooting this time around?
The movie does not take place entirey in space. There are some sequences done on terra firma, so we will be doing some location work.

Are you really on a film-by-film basis with the 'TNG' actors now? In other words, could this be the last 'TNG' film?
That's always a possibility but, then again, it always has been. If the studio has contracts with the actors, it's only if they choose to trigger those contracts. This picture is a 'TNG' film, but whether the next one will be a 'TNG' film, or one with a different or a mixed cast, is a couple of years down the pike.

Is this definitely a Picard movie or are we going to see the other cast members focused on this time around?
Like all of our films, Picard and Data have the greatest focus but I would like to think that our other five characters all have cool stuff to do in this picture.

How close are you to choosing a director?
Right now, because of the potential strikes, and because we don't have an approved or budgeted script yet, we have not really discussed a director.

What is the current timetable for this film?
I'm thinking that we would start shooting sometime in October with it being ready for release anytime from Spring 2002 on.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most of the loose ends will be tied up in the final two-hour show.

Oh, that narrows it down to only 3283274234 ends, yes, I think 2 hours will just about be enough to tie them all up

The rest of the information is sketchy and inconclusive (as always)...

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

[This message has been edited by The_Evil_Lord (edited April 10, 2001).]

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We have planned surprises in the feature film that we'll be shooting this year with some characters from other series than 'Next Generation'. As far as the 'Voyager' and 'DS9' casts are concerned,those are all decisions that will be made at some point but there has been no discussion of anything more with them at this point."

Not to add too much fuel to the fire, but Berman says "some characters from other series than TNG, then 'seemingly' says that no characters from DS9 or VOY. That leaves TOS...which may mean a SPOCK appearance to tie in with the Romulans??? How's that for a tie in?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the same thing, but I just can't imagine Leonard Nimoy doing it again.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Characters from series V?

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to see an Enterprise warship. I really don't. Two seasons of war on DS9 was enough. I want to "boldly go where no man has gone before!"

Or, as a certain member might have said:

STAR TREK IS ABOUT PEACE NOT WAR I DON'T WANT A BIG WARSHIP WITH FIFTY-BILLION TORPEDO LAUNCHERS AND FIVE MILLION MARINE SOLDIERS ABOARD!!!!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said anything about an Enterprise warship in this thread?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Whoops. Getting my Series V rumour mixed up.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How in the hell can they be doing a prequel show if, as he says, TOS influences the producers very little in terms of content and style? To me, this suggests that a prequel show will either be frustrating and infuriating for us to watch or that series V is not a prequel.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Some rumors are that the new Series is set on the Enterprise-I during a war being fought by the Federation.

Hence, my rant.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would describe this picture as being on the same scale as the last
few Star Trek films?
I think it is bigger in scope and concept. It is more of a heroic Picard
vs. the evil villain type of picture as compared to some of the previous
films. I think there is more action in it and it's a film that takes place
primarily in space. We have wonderful villains, wonderful species both
known and new and I would describe the film as being in the same style
as John's film 'Gladiator'. The film has a real epic quality to it.

What the heck is that guy on!?! ALL of the past TNG movies have been just that

Picard v. Soran
Picard v. Borg Queen
Picard v. Rua'fo

Plus more Picard + Data... with "cool things" for the other five... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

More Beverly, Troi and Geordi please...

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naahh... This is gonna be the last TNG movie, or then the second last. Too late to start the weary old routine of introducing new leads to replace the ones that are leaving. It would be a criminal offense to waste the remaining one or two movies for experimentation on alternate leads, when these leads simply won't float further TNG movies no matter what.

Better make a clear cut after Stewart and Spiner leave, and then make a great leap to a "The Amazing Adventures of Captain Riker" style movie series if need be, without tedious preamble. Having such movies gradually grow from the TNG movie line would be too painful a process. And Paramount couldn't really sell the Riker adventures as "new and daring and epic and innovative" if they were born gradually, by eating the carcass of TNG.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why the current popular opinion is that the TNG films are drawing to a close. Not to sound too cynical, but what else are we expecting these people to do?

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Spiner wanted to be killed off in the last one. This may be an indication that he doesn't want to play the part forever.

Patrick Stewart seems to flip flop--"This might be my last movie." to "I have no intention of leaving the Star Trek Movies."

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they could always direct...

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps