Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Berman Interview from latest Communicator (pseudo-$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Berman Interview from latest Communicator (pseudo-$)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well Spiner wanted to be killed off in the last one."

Ooh, flashback. Am I the only one who remembers that "Spiner wants Data to killed off" has been said everytime a new film has started since Generations?

Come on, for both First Contact and Insurrection, the runours were always the same. Stewart doesn't want to play Picard any more. Spiner thinks he's too old to play Data. Picards going to be an Admiral. Sela will be in it. Riker will be captain. Sisko/Janeway/Bashir/Morn will be in the film.

You know, when Kirk was going to be killed off, we knew about it. And I don't mean we heard rumours. We KNEW. If Picard was being killed off, we'd know.

And Sol is right. Unless the cast suddenly get other acting jobs, then they're going to continue to do what they always want to do.

Just after previous film: "I'd like a gap to pursue other projects. I don't want my career to just be Star Trek."

A year later: "Hmm. I don't seem to have done anything notable. Hmm. What's this letter? 6 months doing another Trek movie? Hmm. I get paid loads of money to hang around with people I like. Sure. Plus, if my names either Patrick or Brent, I get even more money, and get to sit in on script meetings and pretend I know what I'm talking about! Classy!"

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, what else would Spiner do with his life? He doesn't exactly get reams of offers based on ID4.

Actor's sometimes have math skills. Some of the Trek actors surely can look at their Trek salary total, divide same by their other-genre salary total - and get a fairly large multiple of 10.

Some of them probably can't, too... (divide, I mean).

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I imagine Frakes and Stewart and possibly Burton would be just fine w/o TNG movies, but the rest of 'em would be quite typecast and quite unemployed.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 16, 2001).]

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what great roles have Frakes and Burton had? Granted Stewart's had a few ("Arrr, the great white whale...").

Remember (ghu knows Paramount NEVER forgets), TV studios are in the business of making money. Period. So it behooves them, when casting a television series, to hire medium-talent/low-salary/relatively unknown actors to play the roles. One of the most charming aspects of TNG was watching various actors mature in their craft as the series progressed. One or two of them really came along (Burton was already pretty good) - wheras in the first season some of the acting setr my teeth on edge (where the frak did "Troy" get that accent?).

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The irony is, Trek gave medium talent actors a chance to get better and better so that they could do other things, only to find after 7 season in the spacesuit, that they are typecast and will never work again...

It's actually kind of a shame.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering how much money they make, I'm not going to get too upset.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burton has his hands in a lot of different projects, actually. Most of them stem from his Reading Rainbow work. He won a Grammy last year.

Frakes is far from an A-list or even B-list director, but he was (and perhaps still is) in the running for a few moderately big films, such as the often rumored Total Recall 2.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention serving as a producer on a certain show... y'know, Ros-something?

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who, Frakes? Really?

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps