Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » NITPICKIN'! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: NITPICKIN'!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Negotiations happen often during War. I guess you decided to ignore the references to the fact that the war was still going on, huh?

Or why Worf was setting up a surveillance post when he was supposed to be Ambassador?

Sheeesh.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Insurrection, Troi says she's never kissed Riker with a beard before, but "Violations" or whatever the episode was where everybody was getting mind-raped clearly shows her memories of doing just that. Not to mention the fact that she kissed Thomas Riker...kind of the same thing.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, in "Coda," Janeway's father has an early-TNG admiral's uniform but a post-TNG commbadge.

------------------
"It strikes me that there are enough episodes of the Simpsons that people could speak entirely in Simpsonese, using references from the show to explain or describe an endless series of situations. Nelson and Apu . . . at Tinagra.

But now I�ve brought Star Trek into it again, haven�t I. Sorry."

- James Lileks, 09/04/2001

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Tin Man", Data says there are no known natural phenomena capable of warp travel.

He forgot the Silicon Entity already?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff K: What refereces are you talking about? The only thing that was said was the Sona HAD been producers of Ketracel White.

And do you really think the Dominion was negotiating with the Federation DURING the war, at the same time they were decimating the Federation....come on be real.

And don't use some WWII analogy as it doesn't apply to what was shown onscreen in DS9 (i.e. the Dominion didn't appear to be interested in any type of negotiations)

"Or why Worf was setting up a surveillance post when he was supposed to be Ambassador?" That by the way is the point of my earlier post.

[This message has been edited by Shipbuilder (edited April 12, 2001).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And do you really think the Dominion was negotiating with the Federation DURING the war, at the same time they were decimating the Federation....come on be real.

Yes, I found this to be very odd indeed. However, is this any more odd than Starfleet assigning one of its top-of-the-line Sovereign class ships to a routine duck-blind research mission in the middle of a huge war? Or even the fact that Starfleet has the time to conduct research missions when in a few months there might not even BE a Starfleet?

Star Trek: Insurrection would have been more believable if it had taken place after the war, not during.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Clearly, that's because the war is still going on.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but there was a cut line that had Picard asking Worf "how is your wife?" Since Jadzia died at the end of DS9 Season Six, Insurrection would've taken place during DS9's Sixth Season -- before the end of the war.

Often times two warring parties will be negotiating with each other. The representatives for the US and Vietnam were negotiating in Paris while the "war" was going on. It's not an unheard of thing for two parties to be at war with each other and holding discussions. Besides which, the Female Changeling surrender unconditionally. What was there to negotiate?

The only explanation is that the war is still going on. There is no time in "WYLB" after the war but before Worf becomes Ambassador for him to slip away to install a sensor post. Face it: the flick takes place during the War.

Speaking of which, is that Bolian at the diplomatic reception the same one from DS9's The Forsaken?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A cut line from the movie is your reference and I get a SHEEESH!!!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Simply one point.

Apparently you didn't read the others. It's impossible for Worf to be in Starfleet after WYLB, therefore, it happens BEFORE WYLB. The War is still going on. Accept it.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

THATS THE POINT OF MY ORIGINAL POST

I assumed...as many others do...that the negotiations occured AFTER the war. There lies the problem.

I agree with you that Worf had no time after WYLB to do Insurrection activities, yet I also find it hard to believe that negotiations were occuring DURING the war...THAT is my nitpick.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You don't have to yell. I've already explained it, repeatedly.

Warring parties have often negotiated with each others. Look at the US during Vietnam. Negotiations were carried out in Paris. It's not unheard of.

Maybe the Dominion was trying to negotiate to get the Federation to surrender. Maybe they were negotiating about POW exchanges ... who knows?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 12, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitpickers Central
http://www.nitcentral.com

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

My favorite one ... in "The Big Goodbye."

When the Holodeck doors open in Dixon Hill's office, you see a corridor wall. When Cirus Redblock and Leech step into the corridor, the holodeck corridor is to their right ... and a branching corridor is on the right!

Where'd that corridor come from? You can't see it in the original shots!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Or when the computer tells Data to shut up in "Conspiracy" ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an early TNG episode (I think they had set the auto destruct or something) where the computer has this long line of speech. It takes this deep breath between sentances. Majel Barret must've been off stage with a microphone or something

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps