Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I'm beginning to like Logan more and more (minor STX $) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm beginning to like Logan more and more (minor STX $)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another Communicator interview:
(I've bolded the juicy bits)

quote:

When John Logan was announced as the writer of the next Star Trek film, most fans had never heard of the 'Any Given Sunday' and 'Gladiator' screenwriter. At the same time, Logan was already very familiar with the franchise, having been a fan of all four Star Trek series.

"I loved the original series, and I loved Next Generation from the first episode," he told the Star Trek Communicator. "I have all of the first two series on tape. And now that I have access to Paramount libraries, I can watch whatever I want to watch. I lost track of Deep Space Nine, but there is so much I loved about what they were doing with the characters. Now I'm watching more of it. I just watched a seven-episode track of the Dominion War, for example. And Voyager is just wonderful. Seven of Nine and Janeway are my personal favourites."

Logan's vast knowledge of the Star Trek universe helped him in writing 'Star Trek X,' as he is planning to include a lot of references to the various series. "There will be lots of little things that fans will recognise. I want to put in a lot of cool stuff that no one in the main audience will understand, but fans will see and get it right away. One of the best parts about writing this is that I get to do things with the races, the characters and the homeworlds that I've always wanted to do."

Besides drawing from the various series, 'Star Trek X' will also be inspired by the other feature films, particularly 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' and 'Star Trek: First Contact.' "My favourite adversaries in Star Trek have been Khan and the Borg Queen. [...] You need an adversary of that stature. That's why James Bond should always fight Blofeld; that's his adversary. Picard needs an adversary or foe that is up to his level. We hope this adversary will be every bit as memorable not only for who he is, but for how and why he behaves as he does."

Another villian who we will see traces of will be Annorax, Voyager's time-travel adversary in 'Year of Hell.' "[Annorax] was so memorable because you could understand his very human drives behind his actions," Logan said. "And we borrowed a bit from that episode for Star Trek X, but you'll have to wait and see which bit."

'Year of Hell' isn't the only Trek episode we can look at to see what will happen in the next Trek film. "I think that listing my favourite episode is a great Star Trek Rorschach Test," Logan joked. "People wanting to know how I think can read whatever they want in this list." His favourite episodes include 'The Naked Time,' 'Arena,' 'Amok Time' and 'Balance of Terror' from the Original Series, 'The Best of Both Worlds,' 'The Inner Light,' 'Yesterday's Enterprise,' 'Face of the Enemy,' 'Data's Day,' and 'Measure of the Man' from the Next Generation, and also 'Tuvix' from Voyager, though he said he enjoyed Voyager as a whole. He couldn't point to a favourite episode on DS9, but said he is currently rediscovering the series.

Several of the episodes in his list heavily feature the Romulans, and indeed this is a race we will be seeing in the film. "I love the Romulans," he said. "I always was drawn to the duplicity and the intrigue and lethal political cleverness of the Romulans. I find them to be formidable adversaries for the Enterprise crew."

A recent rumour suggested that Spock, who was after all last seen on the Romulan homeworld, would be appearing in the film. When asked about this, Logan paused, and then said, "I can't comment on that." However, he could reveal that at least some other Original Series elements will make their appearance in the film. "We are going to see some of the original series aliens that we haven't seen in a while. I can't go into detail, but I love the Andorians, too."

Picard and Data will be the characters featured most heavily in the film, though Logan said that he also intended for Deanna Troi to "get a really good part." But he also said that he won't be neglecting any of the other characters. "We have our gang of seven, and that's my priority. I have to make sure that everyone gets moments of his or her own. I'd love to work in smaller characters, but if I have the coice of giving a good line to Barclay or to Geordi, I'm going to stick with the main crew. I have to justify my choices very carefully."

Certainly, the characters will be changed a bit in this film. "One of the smartest things they did in Star Trek II, my favourite of the movies, was to give Captain Kirk glasses," Logan said. "It acknowledges the passage of time, and that these characters change over time, and their relationships with each other change. These characters have ongoing lives on the ship, and we want to reflect that in 'Star Trek X.' We want to react to what has gone on in other shows. I hope people will see advancements in a lot of relationships among the characters."

Though the characters will be featured heavily, so will the Enterprise-E. "I'm looking at this like a fan, and what fan wouldn't want to be Captain Picard in charge of the Enterprise in battle? I get to make the Enterprise do all of the cool things that I've always wanted it to do. The Enterprise-E is a great ship, and we really haven't seen it that much. This is a high-octane action film, and that ship is going to get a workout."

Even though there will be a lot of action in the film, that won't solely be the focus of 'Star Trek X.' "What makes Star Trek great is when an episode is a morality play; it's truly great when it's a morality play disguised as a great action story," Logan said. "Star Trek X is action-packed, but it addresses classic Star Trek issues. Who we are, why we lead the lives we do, and why we make the decisions we do are paramount to this story - and pardon the pun."

How did Logan get involved with Paramount anyway? Logan explained that it came about through a conversation he had two years ago with his good friend Brent Spiner (Data). "We were talking about a number of things, and I said to him that I would love to write a Star Trek Movie. His eyes opened wide and he asked if I was serious. And I said, 'Absolutely!' I met with Rick Berman after that, pitched my ideas. He really liked them, and the rest, as they say, is history."

Since then, Logan has worked extensively together with both Spiner and Rick Berman, and he said that fans are wrong when they believe that Berman has little respect for early Star Trek history. "I've heard all of that, too, and it couldn't be further from the truth," he said. "After working with him day in and day out for a year, I'm going to know him. And Rick has a respect and an understanding for all the series. He loves Star Trek. It's his life, and he is so smart about it. Fans should understand that Rick is the best friend they could ever have in the world of Star Trek."

But while Berman is important for guarding Gene Roddenberry's vision of the Star Trek franchise as a whole, Logan realised that for this film, he has as important a role. "I find this terribly exciting, but it carries a lot of responsibility," he admitted. "I have such love and such respect for these characters, and I feel that I owe them a lot. So I want to treat them right." If the fans agree that Logan succeeded, he is even not closing the door on a possible next Trek feature film. "Let's see how people react to 'Star Trek X' first. If they don't come to Illinois looking to tar and feather me, I'd do 'Star Trek XI' in a second. I even have an idea for it. There was one thing I wanted to work into 'Star Trek X' that I couldn't fit in. You'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. I'll talk about it in a couple of years."

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 18, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm loving the flick already

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While this does indeed sound fun, I'm gonna hold off until the production actually begins. What's Logan gonna say?

"I've been hired to do this Trek Movie, and I've got an average idea with ho-hum action and a really bland villain. You guys'll love it."

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed.

Still, name checking the Krenim, of all possible choices, suggests the next film might be very interesting indeed.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woohoo! This looks like a dream come true to me!

Krenim?? Hmmmm... Time to re-watch 'Year of Hell'...

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHH!! No fair! How come the Arbiter of Time gets a FILM made with him, and I don't!?

Sounds very promising, actually. I hope he wrote it as a fan, and not as a fanboy though (=> TOO much "cool stuff").

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'd be the first Oscar-nominated fanboy I ever heard of.

And I don't think he means that the Krenim will neccessarily reappear, just that the villain will most likely have Annoraxian motivations. But, hey, my guess is as good as yours.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be a bit much for the non-Trek audience to take in if they have to explain all of the background of the Krenim in the film - I doubt they'll appear, IMNSHO.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it said that he'd put in a few things Star Trek fans would recognise immediatly while other people would need some time before they get it?

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He never said Annorax or the Krenim will be in the film.

He said he liked Annorax's character as a villain, is all.

You're reading too much into it.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GA: Weren't the sensors in ST6 that found the BoP being used to study gaseous anomalies? I could be remembering incorrectly, but, if that's the case, you were in that film. :-)

This movie is either going to be the best thing we've ever seen, or the worst piece of fanboy-drivel we've ever seen. But I like to think there are enough checks and balances to keep the latter out, so I'll look forward to the former. :-)

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, this COULD become the best Trek film yet. As always, we'll have to wait and see.
And at the moment, I'm more concerned about what they are going to do to the new series. I truly hope they are not going to ruin the future of Trek with that one!

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

That was only a bit-part, Tim! And they didn't even use my scenes - cutting-room floor is where my celluloid dreams reside *bawls*.

Actually, that is where I got my name. My parents were at Khitomer at the time.

Not early enough though, Mr. Essex!!

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited April 19, 2001).]

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I am wondering is if they are getting ILM to do the FX on this one. If they use the same company as last time, I would rather not see alot of battles and FX heavy sequences--they really couldn't pull it off very well.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine ILM is too busy creating wacky animated sidekicks (And, if rumors are true, wacky animated leads.) for certain space-based adventure films to do much of anything else.

And good riddance, I say. There are other effects houses out there.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps