Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I'm beginning to like Logan more and more (minor STX $) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm beginning to like Logan more and more (minor STX $)
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(QUOTE) "We are going to see some of the original series aliens that we haven't seen in a while. I can't go into detail, but I love the Andorians, too." (END QUOTE)

Please lord! Please tell me that some the original series aliens that are going to appear will be the Gorn and the Tholians!!!!!!

I doubt that ST-X will be the best Trek film yet. ST-IV was the best Trek film for TEN YEARS before it was finally booted off the #1 ranking by ST-VIII. ST-VIII, IMHO will be a though act to follow. (Although ST-IX, IMHO, came damn close to at least tieing ST-VIII as the #1 trek movie.)

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insurrection came close to being as good as First Contact?

Are you sure you didn't wander into the wrong cinema and accidently say through The Sixth Sense instead?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the whole Annorax/Krenim thing: Logan's language is sufficiently vague that it could swing either way, i.e. we could either just get a villain who somewhat resembles Annorax, or we could get a direct Krenim reference. I'm betting on the former, but not ruling out the latter.

------------------
"The Long Kiss Goodnight begins, more or less, with Geena Davis being kicked in the head by a deer. This was the high point of the film."

- Sol System, 2/24/01

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should probably stick with EdenFX for STX...

------------------
"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves!"
- Garak, "In Purgatory's Shadow"

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Eden do Insurrection?

Liam:
"Insurrection came close to being as good as First Contact?"
Well I thought so. But then again I must have stumbled into a different Cinema than the rest of you when I saw First Contact, 'cause I wasn't that impressed (though unlike Insurrection, it did have really good FX.

[This message has been edited by Obi Juan (edited April 23, 2001).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLEASE NOOOOOOOO! The company that did the Insurrection effects should NOT be allowed to do the next movie. They sucked, and I have given examples around here in other threads but I'll just summarise by saying.

atmosphere
matte
drones/ships
crapola.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's a lot of prejudice around. People hear the magical letters ILM and immediately they think the effects are great. They hear Eden/Santa Barbara,... and the reaction is "they're crap".
Granted, ILM is great, but what's the problem with Insurrection? I've got it on DVD and I don't see any major problems with the effects, even under close and scrutinous examination. Yes, one or two scenes (in the briar patch) are not the best ones ever seen, but on the whole, the effects are quite good.

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've given a few reasons around the place.

The effects were good, yes, but they weren't the best.

The effects in space... well I didn't like how the Enterprise looked so fake... with the panelling not really looking real, just alternating squares of dark and light.

The way that the big E-E was turned into a 'Defiant'... skimming all around the place.

The new ships were, tacky and didn't look like what had 'come before' all new shapes of bussard collectors and wierd bright whites...

The atmospheric shots were the worst... it looked like they had just superimposed the drones/shuttlecraft/Son'a ships on the film. They payed no attention to any actual ambient light that might effect what sort of light and shadows might be cast on the ships...

that's a few.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The new ships were, tacky and didn't look like what had 'come before' all new shapes of bussard collectors and wierd bright whites..."

This has nothing to do with Eden. Maybe you should write a complaint letter to John Eaves.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what new ships are we talking about? The only new Starfleet vessels were shuttlecraft and support ships.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno. For me, the "Insurrection" VFX was the best of the TNG-movie lot. The atmospheric scenes were a first for Trek movies (ST5 mercifully excluded), and I for one found them completely acceptable. The sight of the two small craft speeding towards sunset atop a layer of clouds was both aesthetically very pleasing and rather realistic-looking. And once the craft began their dogfighting and tumbling, there was little time to worry about things like lighting or shadows anyway.

"First Contact" had more of a "plasticky-modely" feel to the E-E, probably because of the coloring of the ship (it contrasted so strongly against the Borg and Phoenix dark hues that it couldn't *help* looking plasticky), but I didn't find that very objectionable, either. "Generations" of course had the cards stacked against it, because the E-D featured no external illumination and was thus doomed to look far less cool than the other movie ships.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps