Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » My use of canon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My use of canon
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apply the studio's definition of canon-episodes and films-for I don't have the will nor the financial resources to get non-canon materials. To say this another way, I know canonical and I don't know non-canonical.

And I don't use canon as an offensive weapon against those who believe in the other interpretations of Star Trek.

I believe that what is happening with Star Wars is much healtheir and can be seen as a possible standard. In that franchise, the franchise's trustees are willing to include non-film material to be considered as relevant as the film material. If the film material contradicts the non-film material, the former is given precedence.

This creates a franchise where people from the hard liners to the soft liners can have a relatively peaceful camp for debates and divisions of interpretations.

In Star Trek, there is a nasty row on canonicity and beliefs.

My use of canonicity is not a statement of my position in this row. The hope that I have is that the reader accepts what I am saying and understands what I am saying.

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek is what you personally want it to be.

For example, *I* take TAS as canon, and I therefore also 'believe' in Captain April, 23rd century 'holographic recreation rooms', Edoans, Caitians.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Target: I agree with you on canon in that canon materials should for the most part be free and accessible to anyone with a TV set. That's why I generally don't feel bound in my own writing by officially licensed novels, technical manuals, gaming manuals or fan-produced material. Some of the stuff that published-material as canon hardliners want to elevate to the same level as broadcast material include 35-year old stuff that only a small percentage of fans have ever seen first hand. In contrast, fans around the world can see the televised episodes and the movies for themselves (eventually). So that's my criterion; I'm not making a value judgement about the quality of the material.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure of using the Star Wars experience as a model for Trek Fandom. I would think the same problems with accessibility remain.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the non-film Star Wars material is pretty poor in most cases (specifically, the recent stuff).
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, Frank, pick a name and keep it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Wars is a bit different that Trek: only four movies that are (by Trek standards) canon, so I guess any side-info is eagerly accepted by the Star Wars equivalent of Trekkies (what do you call them, anyway?)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Audience.

I love Star Wars, it started so early for me, you took movies very seriously at the age of 6, you know?

And the dioramas with X-Wings and AT-ATs in the sandbox, jesus.
My friends left their toys at my place at the end of the day, and we'd take them out and continue the next day (easier on the logistics for them), during the summer break especially. Now that was bliss, not a care in the world...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just reguarding TAS's canonicity, I mentioned it in another thread. Gene Roddenberry said he didn't like TAS to be 'canon' because there was just some too 'way out' there ideas... like shrinking ships and people who age backwards... Well, now we have DS9's "
One Little Ship" and Voyager's "Innocence" which do both of these things. So what is the harm now in making TAS canon... maybe all of it except that Larry Niven crossover?

And yes, I agree with the whole thing about Star Wars canonicity with them not having much 'canon' stuff to go on. Star Wars has 8 hours of canon 'material' Star Trek has 79 + 178 + 176 + 174 = ...carry the one... 607 + 16 = 624 hours of 'material' + or - TAS which would bump it up to 635 hours of material. Which is nearly a week of Trek, non-stop. Imagine THAT marathon! Maybe Berman is trying to get Trek to the 1000 hour mark? Basically what I'm saying is - there is enough Trek 'canon' to worry about without having to fit in Comics, books and novels. The only books I'd probably consider as canon would be the Encyclopaedias and the TNG Tech Manual.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's more than a week, Bubba. FAR more. Three weeks, five days, and eleven hours to be exact.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know anyone who's done it?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*whistles innocently*

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But bear in mind that this was beack when all there was was TOS, TAS, the first six movies, and most of TNG...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

targetemployee opined:

"I apply the studio's definition of canon-episodes and films-for I don't have the will nor the financial resources to get non-canon materials. To say this another way, I know canonical and I don't know non-canonical."

I got that. No problem there, even if it is rather unfortunate... You wouldn't happen to live in Southen California, would you?

"And I don't use canon as an offensive weapon against those who believe in the other interpretations of Star Trek."

Thank you...

"In Star Trek, there is a nasty row on canonicity and beliefs.

My use of canonicity is not a statement of my position in this row. The hope that I have is that the reader accepts what I am saying and understands what I am saying."

Again, no problem. I'm just sick of mentioning something and having someone yell at me that it isn't "canon". Frikkin' DUH! I know it isn't "canon". I also don't let the relative "canonicity" of something determine it's validity. So to all you "canon-nazis" out there, quit whacking me over the head with the "canon" stick before you have to have it removed by a good proctologist.

I still hold out hope that a cream of that which is now "non-canon" will one day be distilled and reintegrated into Trek "canon"... But we'll see.

--Jonah

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so I stuffed up my maths a little

Anyway, what do any of you think of my reasoning for bringing TAS back into the canon fold?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps