Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » My use of canon (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My use of canon
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of us already have. In a sim I was in, there was an Aurelian & a Phylosian in the crew....hell, I played a Sadrao!

And TAS--like it or not--has been inadvertently canonized since day one. Ever take a good hard look at that Federation map from TNG s1? The one that was quite prominent in "Conspiracy?" It's got a shitload of TAS planets in there. Phylos, Lactra VII, Kzin, Arret, Pallas XIV...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never understood why TAS shouldn't be canon. IIRC whatever was onscreen is canon and TAS was onscreen.

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, TAS depicted Kirk as a fictional drawing. Kirk was a fictional person, to the best of my knowledge. Isn't this grounds enough to say it wasn't as "real" as the other series?

Besides, squeezing TAS into the timeline mucks things up a bit as the shows have been sticking to the Okuda arrangement of years for a decade now. And, to be blunt, the stories were still more ridiculous than even the most ridiculous the other shows had to offer.

In any case, canon isn't a personal thing or even the sort of thing that this forum could all back behind.

quote:

can�on1 (knn) n.

1.An ecclesiastical law or code of laws established by a church council.

2.A secular law, rule, or code of law.

3. a.An established principle: the canons of polite society.
b.A basis for judgment; a standard or criterion.

4.The books of the Bible officially accepted as Holy Scripture.

5. a.A group of literary works that are generally accepted as representing a field: �the durable canon of American short fiction� (William Styron).
b. The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic: the entire Shakespeare canon.

Canon is based on general consensus or dictat from the higher ups. "Personal canon" is an oxymoron. One, can however, "personally treat something as if it were canon."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And, to be blunt, the stories were still more ridiculous than even the most ridiculous the other shows had to offer.

Well, Voyager came very close (Treshold...). And so did The Final Frontier.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, Voyager came very close (Treshold...). And so did The Final Frontier.

Roddenberry said himself he thought most of Final Frontier didn't 'actually' happen, and he must've rolled over in his space urn when 'Threshold' aired...

Simply put, if any onscreen stuff weren't canon, it would be those two.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon is what I want it to be. Simply state your source ("I read in a novel once") and people can take it for what it is. Anyone who really goes off on you for being 'not canon' doesnt really have a life.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Er, you ever seen a thread here where everyone's debating something, and them someone wanders in, and gives a big long list of "canon" information. Which turns out to be FASA. Or the novels. Or something he's just made up.

Alternative versions of stuff is interesting, but rarely useful.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Canon is what I want it to be. Simply state your source ("I read in a novel once") and people can take it for what it is. Anyone who really goes off on you for being 'not canon' doesnt really have a life.

Well, I'l give you points for at least suggesting that the source be stated. But the rest of your statement is basically the justification the FASA nerds use to spout a whole line of bullshit at the drop of a hat. Better to say "Canon is what we (our immediate group discussing this stuff) want it to be" - most people here, for instance, discount FASA and stick to that viewpoint in usual discussions. There are other fora on the internet where FASA (and similar organisations, as IDC would be quick to point out) is wholeheartedly embraced.

And as for not having a life. . . you're saying that if I choose to contest someone's inclusion of FASA material in a discussion, said material which they have spent long hours memorising and know extensively, then I'm the one who doesn't have a life? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And as for not having a life. . . you're saying that if I choose to contest someone's inclusion of FASA material in a discussion, said material which they have spent long hours memorising and know extensively, then I'm the one who doesn't have a life? 8)

Depends on the additude of the person your talking to, really. Oh man there are some people with sticks up thier asses, and thats fine, its the people with a stick up thier stick's ass that bothers me. If I mention something from a source that someone doesnt think is canon, he/she should keep it to themselves or at least talk in a less "I'm right no matter what" fasion. I've actually had people tell me my information was complete and total bullshit because it came from the TNG tech manual.

When information is not available anywhere else, the only sourse is the best.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was Beria who sid that, right? No, wait...it was Dzerzhinsky!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Canon is what I want it to be."

Um... No. Redefining words of the English language is only possible in your own little world. It doesn't affect the rest of us...

Wes
Member # 212

Canon, the way we are using it most likely means:

a: an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture [trek] b : the authentic works of a writer c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works

This is from the engilish dictionary. What we meant by 'what we want it to be' was what exactly is authentic, either on-screen only, paramount authorized, Okuda authorized.. and so on...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You look that up in a dictionary, but still manage to spell 'English' wrong?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Member # 212

yep. just to bother you. i thought it would be funey
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps