Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » borg queen question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: borg queen question
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we can understand it just fine. I mean, it's just math. But a fourth spatial dimension is simply something our brains aren't designed to handle visually. It's like the number i. You can do math with i. Lots of math. It's a perfectly useful little number. But you can't go out and buy i apples or e ties, or a vest of infinite length.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
String theory has absolutely nothing to do w/ what you described there. Please don't confuse the two. You're talking about warping space. String theory claims that all matter and energy, at the fundamental level, is made up of tiny vibrating string-shaped things.

There also seems to be confusion about the terms "fourth dimension" and "fifth dimension". In most usage the "fourth dimension" is used to describe time. However, what's being discussed here is a "fourth spatial dimension". In other words, you have length, width, depth, and Rufus (where "Rufus" is another dimension of space), plus time. Make sure you know, when you say "fourth dimension", whether you mean the fourth dimension of any sort (either spatial or temporal), or if you're only talking about the fourth spatial dimension.

As for the Fifth Dimension... Well, I used to be rather fond of "The Age of Aquarius"...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, string theory needs 26 (!) dimensions to work, for some no-doubt interesting reasons. This same theory also 'creates' the tachyon particle, with an imaginary mass (and is also the particle abused by Star Trek).

Oh, wait a minute, here's a site trying to explain all this: http://www.superstringtheory.com/basics.html

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN and Sol are right. Hyperspace is a fifth spatial dimension in addition to the 3 others and 4th - time. Theoritically, we can travel through hyperspace (if it exists) breaking Einstien's Theories of Relativity. It all goes along with that concept of warping space so that two separate points become closer and closer until finally there is a tear in spacetime and a wormhole opens, allowing passage between the two. But to build our own Enterprise, we first need to find out whether hyperspace actually exists. Mathematically, like Sol said, its possible. But that's a long way from setting sail from Utopia Planitia.

And Harry is also right. Super string theory requires 26 dimensions to work, some rolled up to billions of times smaller than an atom. And if we could detect tachyons, as scientists are currently trying to do, then that would confirm the Super-string theory which is supposed to be magnificently simple and elegent mathematically. (which is the goal of every engineer and scientist )

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot the one thing that I meant to post all along.

We can understand the fifth dimension. We just cannot visualize it.

If we were to travel through hyperspace, we would see three dimensional slices of five dimensional things. You'd see seemingly random shapes appear/change shape/dissappear all over the place. (as to what's actually in the fifth dimension, beats the hell outta me)

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to prevent this from being understandable, what is the hypothetical difference between the fictional 'subspace' and the scientific hyperspace?

Hyperspace is a dimension beyond the fourth, hence the name 'hyper'? So, err, subspace would be a dimension below the first dimension!? Dimension Zero?
Five dimensions: x,y,z,t and France
Four dimensions: x,y,z,t
Three dimensions: x,y,z
Two dimensions: x,y
One dimension: x
Zero dimensions: ehhhhh

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fourth dimension is Duration.

It can best be visualized by thinking of a being from conception to death as a worm-blur.

Two large blurs come together. Tiny bits of them break off and form a smaller blur. That blur grows and changes, sometimes losing parts and sometimes adding parts to its mass. Sometimes it meets another blur and splits off parts of itself to create new blurs. Eventually, it begins to deteriorate, until it is absorbed by other blurs, which then grow in turn.

The Fifth Dimension is a where Mxyzptlk lives.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Subspace" is just a made-up word. Its meaning, as you've pretty well pointed out, is rather nonsensical.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, subspace and hyperspace are more or less interchangable SF words for the same concept.
Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really has nothing to do with our topic, but I find it interesting that in the middle of the section, TSN's number of posts has not changed compared to the post near the bottom of this page.

Someone earlier said that scientists are attempting to prove tachyons exist, however if they are undetectable in what we know now, wouldn't that prove to be a difficult task? Seems that they may be only able to refine a theory rather than actually prove them...

OnToMars
Member # 621

I think as far as Star Trek is concerned, subspace is just another word for hyperspace and that they are the exact same concept. Just another example of Trek distinguishing itself by calling it something different (starship instead of spaceship, warp drive instead of hyperdrive, subspace instead of hyperspace). Although I've heard differing accounts of how warp drive actually works (haven't read the TNGTM lately). There are multiple concepts of real world faster than light drives one of which works by warping space in front and back and others by 'punching' through normal space using hyperspace. I seem to recall warp driving being regarded as both.

So to carry the analogy again to the Borg....um...yeah...

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"...I find it interesting that in the middle of the section, TSN's number of posts has not changed compared to the post near the bottom of this page."

Er... Come again?

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see the borg as being any masters of time travel, or them being particularly committed to it as a method of conquering worlds. For they would have ample opportunity to conquer earth, ie at any 'time' they like.

In many ways they went back to the 21st century to remove the Federation from history as a grudge really. There's little technology to assimilate in 2063. So their passage there after the defeat in First Contact was little more than a final desperate attempt to cause some agro. so much for the Borg having no ego to bruise.

But going back to the point about various dimensions, I dunno. I'm not a scientist. Don't attack me for this because I haven't investigated the latest in quantum mechanics, but its just my belief that there are only 3 spatial dimensions. Anything beyond that trancends the physical as we know it and cannot be conceived by our 3 dimensional brains. But these other dimensions that lie beyond this reality exist on different frequencies or different octaves of matter. These reside on different vibrations, ie spiritually. But that's just my personal opinion.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

quote:
TSN's number of posts has not changed compared to the post near the bottom of this page

That's because *all* data in those fields is dynamic. They are not fixed numbers, but rather a link to some Flare/UBB Database.

--------------------

Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to confuse you TSN. I do believe that Harry has answered my question. In your posts (that would actually be everyone's posts) this appears:

With everyone, the number of posts does not change and I found that odd since it appears to be there to log the number of posts you make at this board. So that really has nothing to do with anything. Thanks.

Back to the topic.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps