Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » borg queen question (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: borg queen question
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. Yes, he was right. It shows the current total every time you load a thread. Each post doesn't show what the total was at the time it was made.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think maybe the Borg got the jump on Buckaroo Bonzai before they got across the 8th dimension? Maybe that's why that movie didn't come out...

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to throw this topic completely off track but what was the deffinate purpose of the borg time traveling back to earth's past?

I always thought they were there to stop the humans from meeting the vulcans and therefor the federation, once formed--would be alot smaller and alot less organized to mount the sufficient resistance against the borg attack in the future.

I never thought they went back to assimilate earth in the past...if they did they should have concentrated beaming down drones instead of bombarding from orbit at the Pheonix luanch site.

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always found the time travelling premise of FC to be kinda stupid. The Borg thrive to get closer to perfection by assimilating new technologies and new species. Why the hell would they go back in time to assimilate a species who would undoubtedly have primitive technology and would provide far less drones than assimilating the Federation in full force in the present would?

And there's the fact that the borg have always attacked the Federation with a single cube each time. And with those 6 Transwarp Hubs (now down to 5), don't tell me it would be hard to send a dozen cubes to get rid of the Federation once and for all.

My theory is that the Borg are simply testing us. They send a cube every few years or so to see if we have the potential to adapt our technology to defend ourself against them, thereby providing the Collective with new technologies and ideas. If a cube gets through and assimilates us, then that means we have no more potential for advancement in the eyes of the Borg.

Of course, for this we have to think of the Borg as being a powerful and unstoppable adversary, not the travesty of a threat they've been made to be in Voyager. Even Seven said humanity was a rather insignificant species for the Borg. So how come Janeway finds a way to outsmart them time and time again? And why haven't they assimilated the entire galaxy by now? With their various ships, planets, unnimatrices and transwarp hubs, they could be everywhere IF they wanted to be. Well, that's what I think.

IP: Logged
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't you read my more believable reason why the borg went back in time in FC?

as for the borg testing humans---thats very possible.
remember Echeb's people were somewhat spared after the borg took their world...but the borg would drop by every few years to assimilate any new tech the survivors invented.

but then again
the queen also did say they were gonna test a new assimilation virus to assimilate Earth...making it sound like the borg were out of ideas...LOL
DU'H SEND MORE THAN A CUBE NEXT TIME!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the dimentional debate, there are a couple really good books out there. "Flatland" and "Sphereland". They take place in a 2-D universe, where the main character is a square. Literally.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did I even bring it up?

Omega, those are the books from which I got my 2D man examples and I learned of those from a book called "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku.

AS FOR THE BORG....

I think the cube was sacrificial all along, as I explained in detail in another post at Subspace Relay awhile back. It was just a dveice to stall the fleet long enough for the sphere to do its thang. And the Queen had planned all along to assimilate the Big E and her intrepid Captain. B/c in the movie, the first point at which the Queen changes plans (that we see anyway) is when they lose the deflector dish; after the time travel, after a good deal of assimilation of the E, and after firing on the complex.

If we accept the fact that the Queen can have personal vendettas, then she can have one against Picard (and Janeway) and carried out ST:FC as a double whammy, to seek vengenace upon Picard and to assimilate the Enterprise while also eliminating the Federation. Also, if you think of the Double E as the culmination of starship advancement since Wolf 359 (including Borg and non-Borg related enhancements), it makes sense to assimilate that one on the 'come back again to test them repeatedly and get new tech' theory.

As for why they chose FC events over others that could've destroyed the Federation and gotten the Enterprise/Picard, there must be variables and info that the Collective knows and that we don't which influenced the decisision.

This is weak I know, I could make a stronger point but I don't have the time right now. I'm sure I'll end up elaborating as this thread spirals toward infinity...

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Kaku's Hyperspace. If you're interested in another good (and more recent) book like that, I'd recommend Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. It covers a lot of ground. I just bought it and have started re-reading it, because I didn't really get half of it the first time I read it... *L*
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The events in First Contact would have made more sense if the borg somehow perceived the federation as posing a special threat to them. I always thought it would be cool if the borg revealed that their special obsession with humanity had to do with receiving a tachyon transmission from their future selves warning that the Federation would someday destroy the collective.

Of course having a transwarp conduit in Earth's backyard pretty much invalidates the borg having a vendetta against the Federation. I mean the borg attacks on Earth make a little more sense if the borg still have some distance to travel. Say that the closest aperture opened some 15 years (at maximum borg-warp) from Earth. The cubes that have attacked would've been ones that were already exploring/assimilating the Alpha Quadrant (actually Beta).

The aperture to Earth could have been established just minutes before the events in Endgame, not giving the borg enough time send 15 or 20 cubes to assimilate the Federation.

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We will add your distinctiveness to our own" says the BQ. That's what they're after, not human technology, but human, well, humanity. They go back to assimilate Earth at one of the crucial points in its history - just as it is about to take the first step towards being one of the most powerful and tenacious species in the Galaxy in just three hundred years (presumably the Borg's assessment of World War III was that it got rid of a lot of the riff-raff).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Last I heard, the token line was "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own". So they didn't want human humanity. Just human bodies and technology.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's what she says to Picard just after he offers to exchange himself for Data. She says he's noble, a quality they lack, and they'll add his distinctiveness to their own.

Then again, they'd already assimilated him once. Don't they take backups, for heaven's sake? Or was whichever droneresponsible for off-site storage on the BoBW cube shirking his responsibilities? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TheF0rce
Member # 533

I don't see how assimilating Picard will make the borg noble LOL---nah she just have a crush on him.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps