Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Why are the Ferengi Species 180? (not really any spoilers...) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why are the Ferengi Species 180? (not really any spoilers...)
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Infinate Regress", Seven identifies the Ferengi as Species 180. My question, how the hell can the Ferengi be so low?! MAYBE Species 5180...

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, considering the Borg must have encountered lots of and lots of species anyway (millions, assuming non-humanoid ones, non-sentient ones, etc.), the numbers must be based on a logarithm system or something.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Robot: "Hey, I'm stuck up here!"
Cyclonus: "Everybody's got to be somewhere."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always assumed that the Borg only catagorize sentient species with a number, while nonsentients go under a different system, since there are so many of them.

But I rather like the logarithmic idea as well. After all, who says a hive mind would be as linear as we are?

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I rekon it is linear and I just put it down to being something cool to find out about - i.e. what really did happen, I mean maybe a ferengi bought passage to the delta quadrant a LONG time ago

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps a Borg cube came across a Ferengi ship a long time ago, assimilated it, but then never bothered to after the rest of the Ferengi.

The fact that the borg have only encountered or assimilated 8000+ species doesn't bother me. There may be a lot of life forms out there, but very few would be sentient, and even fewer would have a high enough technological level to interest the Borg. I haven't seen anything to suggest there are, say, more than 1000 sentient species in the Alpha quadrant (correct me if I'm wrong here), so if the Borg assimilated species over several quadrants over thousands of years, something just below 10,000 species sounds about right...

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Borg are around 10,500 by now, I'd presume (having added Species 10,026 in "Dark Frontier").

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what Species # are we?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vulcans are Species 3259; I'm not sure we know what number humans are.

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

The Vorlon
Member # 52

Terrans are Species 5618, from Grid 325.

------------------

www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roms? Klings? Breen? Betazoids? Cardassians? Bajorans? Sheliak?

Did I miss any?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the number is based on how dangerous they are! Maybe it's the priority number for assimulation; why would they want Ferengi in the collective?

Think about it, the Ferengi pose no threat to the Borg. They have nothing the Borg would want to have either.

Another fact to support my first idea is species 8472. They are dangerous, they have a high number. I bet the human number was higher than 180 too, but lower than 8472. I can't remember it now though.

We know they want to assimulate humans, I bet they'd like to find a way to assimulate 8472 also.

------------------
Wheeelersburg Correctional Facility
Inmate #05301999

Voyager
Ex-Member

Up till now, everything said about the way Borg designate species is when the species were first encountered by the Borg. That is really all I know about their designation system. It doesn't really explain why a species closer to them has a higher # than humans or vulcans.

------------------
One silly, twice foolish. -Dr. Weaver, ER

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The higher-the-number-higher-the-resistance/threat thing makes little sense. Arturis's people were Species 116. They were very powerful and resistant. And Species 10026 from "Dark Frontier" had 39 ships and 300,000 individuals. Hardly menacing.

I'd suggest going with the reverse, but the Ferengi wouldn't be very threatening either...

Tahna Los: You forgot the Krenim.

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."

Chimaera
Ex-Member

Something here isn't quite making sense. Everything I've seen on Star Trek seems to point to species designation in the order that they are encountered. But if Terrans are species 5618, that would mean the Borg have doubled the number of species they've encountered in only about a decade (assuming the first time they encountered humans was when they first encountered the Enterprise). I suppose its possible that the Borg encountered very few species for a long time and then suddenly began assimilating everything in sight, but I thought the Borg collective was thousands of years old, and so it seems a little odd that their rate of assimilation should go up so much in such a short time.

I don't know what the explanation is, people can speculate all they like, I will simply invoke the golden rule of science fiction and suspend all disbelief.

Or I could invoke golden rule #2: blame the writers

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

They first encountered humans twenty years prior to "Dark Frontier" and "The Raven", aboard (well, obviously!) the Raven; that gives them two decades to double the number of species encountered.

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps