Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Why are the Ferengi Species 180? (not really any spoilers...) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why are the Ferengi Species 180? (not really any spoilers...)
Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*displays confused look*

But wasn't the first human encounter with the Borg that of the Enterprise? When the Raven left on its mission, they already knew of the existence of the Borg, which would put the beginning of the Raven's mission after the first encounter by the Enterprise. Otherwise it would mean that Starfleet already knew about the Borg before the Enterprise mission, but then why didn't they know anything? Surely there would have been at least reports in the computer? This would mean that the timeline is rather screwed up, if the Raven's mission began approximately 20 years before Seven joined the Voyager crew.....

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not anymore screwed up than with Generations' events.

Starfleet may have kept the Borg a secret in the same fashion as Section 31 and the Omega Directive, but since this will start a big debate, I'd suggest another thread for something like this, keeping the species on this one.

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ferengi may have fallen through the Barzon wormhole years before the events in TNG.

------------------
The Naked Now

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet found out about the Borg nearly ninety years prior to the Enterprise's encounter with them.
They would almost certainly have interviewed the El Aurian refugees once the Enterprise-B made it back to Earth in 'Generations' following Kirk's "death".

------------------
If no-one will play with me, then I'm going home,and I'm bringing the inflatible with me.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interviewed, yes. But who says they'd tell? Even when actually faced with the Borg, Guinan was extremely selective in the information she would disclose.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Seven said Vulcans were something around Species 100, but I would have to check it agian. It was probably in "Scorpion".

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: In "The Raven", Seven states the Vulcans to be Species 3259.

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

Simon
Ex-Member

As to how the Borg contacted so many species in only a decade it may have something to do with their explorations of alternate dimensions as explained in "Scorpion II".
Trinculo
Ex-Member

The episode "Dark Frontier" indicated that Starfleet knew something about the Borg. I believe they were shifting through rumors and reports just as they were doing in the years leading up to 2364 about the Ferengi. The Raven, with a small crew, was sent to investigate and confirm the reports. I have a wild hypothesis-I believe the Borg were active in Federation space as far back as 2268 when the Archanis colony was attacked. From the conversations in the episode "Devil in the Dark", the Archanis attack was not an imaginary event, it actually occured. The Federation didn't know who attacked the colony. And the Klingons were denying involvement. According to the galactic map in the episode "Conspiracy", the star Archanis is in the northern hemisphere of the galaxy. From that same point, I have come to the conclusion that the Ferengi, who were known to the Klingons (who may occupy a portion of the northern hemisphere), occupy the northern hemisphere. Further, there is mention of a northern passage in the episode "Scorpion, Part 1 and 2". Capt. Janeway wanted to use the passage because it would cut travel time. This suggests passage is easier through the northern passage. I don't believe that it is ever said where the northern passage ends in the alpha or beta quadrant. Conjectural situation-
Sometime in the distant past, a Borg scout traveling the n.p. encounters a Ferengi ship on a merchant ship. The Ferengi become species 180.
Second conjectural situation-
A Borg ship in 2268 using the n.p. travels through Federation space and destroyes the colony on Archanis.
Third conjectural situatin-
A Borg ship in 2367 using the n.p. enters Federation space and is attacked at Wolf 359. There is no evidence that the Romulans had that particular ship enter their space. BTW, how many Borg ships did enter Fed. space? Based on the evidence from BOBW and Unity, the number is two. (Anyway, the transwarp conduit wasn't used until 2369. Could the Borg have learned of the transwarp conduit from the assimilated Federation captains?)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Northwest Passage" was just a nickname given to an area of Borg space that happened to be free of Borg, because of 8472. It was named after the nonexistant Northwest Passage that explorers were so eager to find in North America back in the 16th and 17th centuries.

"Dark Frontier" gives a date a lot earlier than 2369 for the Borg to be playing around with transwarp.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Simon
Ex-Member

One explanation could be that a Ferengi in the distant past was travelling with a foreign ship that went to the Delta Quadrant where they were assimilated by the Borg. The Ferengi must have always had contacts with other races. It's not unlikely that one would have hitched a ride at some point in their history.
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Ferengi weren't assimilated at all. If they were, the Borg would almost certainly have come after the rest of them because that's what they do when they are aware of the existance of another race, like when they followed the Enterprise back to the Alpha Quadrant after their first encounter.

The Borg don't assimilate everyone, remember the Kazon and how Seven told Neelix that there was no point in assimilating a species that would not add to their perfection (I can't remember the episode). The Borg probably just gave the Ferengi a species number and sent them on their way. Who knows, the Ferengi that they encountered may have even been Arridor and Kol, the two who were in The Price and False Prophets/Profits (sp).

------------------
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

Simon
Ex-Member

Not Unless there was a unmentioned time change that went along with the Barzan Wormhole. The Price happened a while after the Borg would have first met Humans.
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack..there are probably a million possible explanations to this

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Trinculo
Ex-Member

A possibile answer-
Could the world F- (the Ferengi Alliance capital) have been a colony of a world that was close to the galactic core? Ships don't need warp drive to travel between stars. Warp drive's benefit is that the travel time is reduced. I don't ever remember the world F- being cited as the birth place of the Ferengi. According to Q in "Q Who?", the Borg have been developing for thousands of years. A possible scenario-

A ship or ships leaves the home world of the Ferengi People
The Borg attack and assimilated the population
The ship or ships arrive at F- and establish a trading empire

An interesting note-Quark in "The Jem'Hadar" says that the Ferengi never had death camps or slavery. It seems in Star Trek and in real life that such brutalities occur in a society that is multi-ethnic. This suggests to me that the Ferengi who landed on F- were of one ethnic class.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps