Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Crash of the Enterprise (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Crash of the Enterprise
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw to all of that, it was probably the mysterious "subspace shockwave", which is generated by the unfortunate demise of warpcores and have a tendency to vary in strength depending on the plot.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Wolf359
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you cant blame troi for craching the saucer
it's not that easy to when you dont got the thrust to escape a planets gravity

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20 posts and already calling someone an idiot...sigh...
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Enterprise does not use nuclear reactions to provide warp power.
Matter and Antimatter annihilating parallel into a dilithium crystal,
producing an energetic plasma. Nothing nuclear here, baby.

In point of fact, a matter/antimatter reaction is a nuclear reaction. It is the most efficient one possible, since it converts 100 percent of the available mass into energy. By comparison, the fusion reaction at the core of the sun releases less than one percent of the potential energy.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Crusher seems to be quite set in the "idiot" category.

Albane, what, you haven't seen any of Omega's posts lately? He calls people idiots much faster ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I meant Mr. Crusher there only had 20 posts here at Flare. Not that there were 20 post in the thread.

Usually people wait until they've been around for awhile before becoming antagonistic. Usually.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After watching Generations many times I don't see how Troi crashed the Enterprise-D. I agree the gravity and atmosphere had some effect on why the swan like vessel crashed. Another factor was Paramount trying to make money like in ST:III when the "real" first ship to bear the name was destroyed.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take back what I said about Woodside. I thought he meant nuclear reactions as in fission and fusion nuclear reactions, not other types of nuclear reactions. I have read in the January 2001 of Star Trek: The Magazine, that the fusion reactors that power the impulse engines use proton-antiproton fusion reactions for power, and in a diagram on page 44, there is an antimatter storage pod on the right side of the page. So, at least from technical drawings I've seen, when the warp core exploded, the antimatter tanks directly below it were vaporized, creating a more powerful explosion, and the the antimatter pods in the impulse engines in the battle hull were vaporized, adding to the explosion(s). And then, probably the stored photon torpedoes also exploded, since they too contain antimatter. So it is reasonable that the Enterprise's battle hull could have been completely destroyed by the core breach.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does kinda make sense. The engineering hull had the 250 photon topredoes along with the antimater tanks. Not to mention all the conbustable liquids and vapours. That and the production crew wanted a corridor set that they can easily film in.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photon torpedoes aren't stored loaded.

What are we talking about, anyway?

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made an Mpeg of the Enterprise saucer crash for my site not that long ago, and while reviewing the footage again, and some of the other ensuing dialogue, it basically goes as follows:

Riker: "REPORT!"
Troi: "Helm systems are offline!"

then

Data: "I have rerouted auxilary power to the lateral thrusters, attempting to level our descent."

That's pretty much all, with the exception of what others have already said. The other anomaly with the evacuation of the stardrive section is we see Crusher rushing everyone out of sickbay. To my knowledge sickbay was always in the Saucer section anyway.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Arsenal of Freedom."

Geordi seperates the saucer, and returns to Minos to rescue the Away Teams: Picard, Crusher, Riker, Data and Yar. After he and Worf destroy the probes, the Away Teams are beamed up and sickbay reports to the Battle Bridge that Dr. Crusher will make a full recovery.

The only suitable explanation -- and this is rather an easy one to make -- is that sickbay is in both the Battle and Saucer sections. Makes sense, doesn't it? You would want the most essential of facilities (you know, like the bridge) duplicated between both halves of a seperating starship.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So where's the saucer's main engineering?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably, that would be the impulse control room.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that there was a replica of sickbay on the battle section. In the semi-canon TNG Blueprints, there were copies of the bridge, ready room, and conference lounge. But that was all. I think there were rooms refered to as medical stations placed all over the ship from the saucer to the engineering hull.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps