Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Crash of the Enterprise (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Crash of the Enterprise
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael_T:
As I recall, she just looked at the readouts as if the saucer was the one doing the thinking...that or Data.

TROI: I thought you had the controls!

DATA: No, I clearly heard Riker give you the controls.

TROI: But I thought you were flying the ship... Isn't that your job?

DATA: No. That was YOUR job...

TROI: Ohhhhh darn...

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tahna Los:
You know, something really bugs me regarding the destruction of the Ent-D. Why didn't they simply eject the core? Unless the ejector controls were destroyed, but they didn't say that.

IIRC if a nuclear-powered ocean-going vessel took that amount of damage THE FIRST thing the crew would do is take the reactor off-line and switch to backup desiel generators. That was LaForge's major mastake. As soon as the BOP was blasted he should have reached over and hit the Big Red Button marked E-STOP and kicked in the backup power systems.

A nuclear power-plant shuts itself down if the Reactor Protection System THINKS somthing might be wrong, I don't see why the Computer didn't read "E1P1A1: Faulty Containment Generator-Failure Probable" and trigger a shut-down.

And where the hell were the backup cooling systems? Our local Nuclear Reactor (Ginna Station) has three redundant backups, one of which is fail-safe. It could be argued that they were running on the backups do to the damage though...

As for not ejecting the core... Prehaps after the Yammato blew up the policy was changed to "Step One: Abandon Ship... Step Two: Run Like Hell... Step Three: Attempt to eject the core by remote."

/end rant-and-rave mode... :

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know from various episodes such as Contagion that the antimatter containment systems have a number of backups, and the liklihood of failure is very slim. But, the Enterprise here was heavily damaged, and all systems, it would seem were not operational and offline.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seemed rather strange how Geordi couldn't eject the warp core when needed. But I guess you can always do a future Trek episode on why this didn't happen; a time travel episode like "Trials and Tribble-ations" type of a thing.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seemed rather strange how Geordi couldn't eject the warp core when needed. But I guess you can always do a future Trek episode on why this didn't happen; a time travel episode like "Trials and Tribble-ations" type of a thing.
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

Prehaps the core was too un-stable to eject? Or maybe standing policy changed after the loss of the Yammato, as stated above.

Personaly, I think he needed to do more to save the ship, at least they should have added more dialog rather than just "fuc# it, we're doomed. Lets run and get another ship!"

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Yamato.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He say Yammato, you say Yamato, let's blow the saucer off. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
It's Yamato.

Thanks!

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Damn Fish got into the reactor core, that's why.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

That or those Cardassian vole rats...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, please... not That Damn Fish (TM), here too...

SPOILER! TREK X SPOILER! BEWARE...

Highlight between brackets to see: [It seems that there will be a similar scene in Trex X: Deanna Troi will take the helm again, but nothing will happen (ie: no crash this time). Talk about running out of ideas...]

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were Picard, I wouldn't even allow Troi anywhere near the bridge after the crash. She only states the alien's obvious intentions anyway...
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dr. Jonas Bashir:
[QB]No, please... not That Damn Fish (TM), here too...

That Damn Fish is a registered Trademark Of WEsaySO, INC.

Well, you brought it up, Doc!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought that spoiler was going to be about Picard's fish appearing in Star Trek X. ( (If it did - it'd probably end up with more screen time than Beverly, Geordi, Troi and Worf combined!)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps