Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$POILER$$ New Frontier (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$POILER$$ New Frontier
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me neither, but I just got "Being Human" and the "Restoration" softcover, nyah, nyah, and I'm gonna waste a perfectly nice evening of 20 m/s winds and icy rain sitting inside and reading through them.

"Once Burned" spoke nothing specific about Talos, but did make it clear that the Federation did not approve of death penalty. Thus, Starfleet would be unlikely to have one. (Or perhaps the penalty for going to Talos IV is a *secret* law, so that nobody will get the incentive to ask "Why not? What's in there?"!)

The comic-book connection would be neat and very PAD-like, so he might actually work it into this somehow (even if "Once Burned" did not take place during the Dominion war). I didn't realize Trek comics were being produced in such numbers nowadays.

As for the identity of the Trident, she's "newly commissioned", that much I already gathered from "Restoration". Could be a newly recommissioned Ambassador as well, though. The class is given as Galaxy in "Cold Wars" and as Ambassador in "Being Human", but the rumors about it being given as Ambassador in "What Lies Beyond" seem to have been false.

IMHO, there's always room for another Ambassador out there.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek comics have been spotty at best lately, but the Marvel run (1996-1998) was really awesome.. they had five series (DS9, VGR, Early Voyages (Capt. Pike), Starfleet Academy (Nog & Friends), & ST Unlimited [which told TOS & TNG stories]) and before they were abrubtly canceled had a big crossover called the Telepathy Way which took place around 'Purgatory's Shadow/Inferno's Light' and was one of the first major battles of the undeclared Dominion War. Basically, the Dominion moved against several species of Federated telepaths for fear of them being able to detect Changeling infiltrators. A Telepathic Virus was unleashed among Vulcans & Betazoids & Xoxians (who were nearly wiped out by havoc resulting from losing their senses) and a Jem'Hadar occupation force invaded Talos IV. Captain Pike (see, they involved Early Voyages!) sent a telepathic distress call to Ambassador Spock, but it was intercepted by a Betazoid in Omega Squad, so Nog and crew popped over to Talos in a stolen runabout. Then they got captured by Starfleet and ran and hid on DS9. There was a big battle and the 1701-E and the Defiant saved the day in the Gamma Quadrant with the help of some more rogue Jem'Hadar, but Kes recieved a telepathic distress call from Xox and was sad about it for 3 panels (worst tie-in.. ever).

It was really fun.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished 'Being Human'.. my thoughts

the modern spin on the Apollo situation was great .. when the giant hand grabs Excalibur, Calhoun says to hail it
'Um, you want to talk to the hand?'

when Artemis appears and says that humans will once again worship the Greek gods, Calhoun, Burgoyne, Kebron and Soleta point out that none of them are human.. lol!!

At last we find out what happened to Carolyn Palamas' child that Apollo fathered, and why McHenry has such strange powers.. when Calhoun recognizes that the 'godhead' is on the male chromosome and thats why it skipped the two generations of females between Palamas and McHenry was a chilling moment

The fact that the Ex-A was a hot-rod Galaxy is explored a little more.. contrary to my belief that post DominionWar Galaxys wouldnt carry families, this one does (Moke and Xyon attend calsses with other children) so we can assume that it has a full crew & family complement 1,012.. the saucer section has a warp drive.. possibly mounted under the far port/starboard sections of the saucer, described as a 'sled'.. the battle bridge has only one forward station, a variant of the conn/ops battle bridge on other Galaxys, but fitting with other current one-helmed ships (VGR, Defiant).. the holographic comm system was used so that Calhoun and Primus could man the battle bridge despite the fact they were still aboard the saucer, which i think is beautiful.

And PAD killed Number One at the end! The longest running character in Star Trek (well.. tied with Spock for longest running.. hes more important i recognize).

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'll get flamed for this, but Peter David's stuff is much better when he's writing original characters in original universes. Anyone here ever read any fiction by P.D. that's not set in 'Star Trek' or another pre-existing universe ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

I read the preview of Sir Apropos that came in the last wave of NF novels.. devilishly clever, but not really my cup of tea. If i see it on sale ill definitely get it, or at a library.. but its not on my must buy list.. probably because im cheap when it comes to non-scifi stuff
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps